Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Horatio

VIP Member
So is Villanelle still after Eve?
She only just discovered she’s still alive. She somehow never considered the possibility despite not making sure and being the best of the best assassin....ok willing to grudgingly accept love made her sloppy or whatever.

I’m not really sure I grasped why it was necessary for konstantin (that’s his name right ?) to go to Spain to tell her other than for dramatic tension of them both hearing about the other in the same episode ...

Reactions: 3

Horatio

VIP Member
I really didn’t rate series 2, I thought the writers got carried away, it seemed rushed and what was supposed to drive the plot turned out to be nothing

Gave the first episode of series 3 a chance today and it was promising! No spoilers but oh my god that cliffhanger 😦 I loved the first series so I hope this one is a bit more like that
Yeah s2 was really weak. I read the guardian review of the new episode and basically every comment was unanimous about that. The problem is that the essential cat and mouse premise can only be taken so far - having them team up in s2 was so ridiculous. That and it was trying way too hard to recreate the magic of PWB’s scripts in s1.
I’m enjoying a new series for the sake of something to watch but am still highly sceptical it’s necessary. However the first episode was intriguing enough, though far from brilliant.
Most disappointing so far is that Villanelle’s character doesn’t have the same edge , she seems too self aware and to have lost that mad charisma... even her outfits are a let down, I thought she was so badly dressed at her wedding. Is it just me ?

Line of the episode was Carolyn to Steve pembertons “I’m back with bells on”...”so we can hear you coming.”

Ending was definitely a shock.

I really fancy Konstantin 😍
I suddenly noticed I do a bit too... like “ohh .... where did this come from?” Never occurred to me in the previous two series but glad to have one positive among a fair few disappointments....

Reactions: 2

50sGirl

VIP Member
Were they always around 40 minutes long? I could have sworn the first series had hour long episodes.

KINGAA

VIP Member
Have completely lost interest in this season - too slow, nothing happens and nothing is explained. Is Phoebe WB not writing anymore?
No, the lead writer changed every season - big mistake. This seasons writer hasn’t really written much just worked on the walking dead spin off... next seasons (who wrote episodes 3&6) wrote for My Mad Fat Diary, Sex Education etc.... I do think Pheobe should of stayed on the project to ensure it’s working. Issue is for me, as the writer only has 1 season they don’t follow the story they just make their own season which ends up with the same cat and mouse scenario from season 1 as that worked, it worked in 2 but I feel like we didn’t need to have them apart so much this season, after ep 3 they could of had scenes every episode - they’re the main characters that never really meet - it’s boring now!!!!! And where’s Eve this season?!?!

I think they could of had this character growth that they’ve had this season but with characters together, Villanelle trying to be normal and Eve suppressing her anger and violent side which is there... the parallel could of worked.

Horatio

VIP Member
Hmm after a just above average ep1 I found this one pretty poor.
I feel like they are trying to revisit the things that worked in s1 - but failing. Stuff like her lavish Barcelona apartment. It didn’t work for me like the Paris one which I would erm have killed to live in. This place is too OTT. It sounds like a small point but I think it’s representative of the larger issue.
Jodie comer doesn’t have the same spark I can’t quite put my finger on it. Has her accent become more laboured? Her character doesn’t make me laugh anymore.
Tho must say I didn’t see her sidekick being such a red herring so soon - I enjoyed that one surprise.
Thank god for that as I agree it was painfully obvious what was to happen to the magnet.
And I’m hoping there aren’t going to be tons of important conversations that just so happen to take place in her kitchen now....

hrh89

VIP Member
I’m not even sure I’m watching the right show how have I missed all of this?! I don’t know what’s come over me but I’m in love with Konstantin he’s just so handsome
Oh you’re not alone he’s hot af I totally would 😂

Just finished S3. Thought it was very poor, even Villanelle's clothes were a disappointment. Best episode for me was the one where all the stories came together, ending with Niko getting pitchforked. Not a popular one on here but I enjoy fractured time lines. Didn't like the back story one in Russia, but thought the casting of her elder brother was spot on.
He looked a lot like Jodie.

Hate the running jokes, Tangfastics, dung throwing etc. Konstantin's shout-laugh pisses me off. I don't buy into the Eve/Villanelle's relationship, very cringe at times. What happened to Villanelle's wife? And yes it was very contrived that Niko, Dasha and Konstantin all seemed to miraculously recover from their seemingly fatal incidents.

But really, the main thing I took from this series was how much I wanted to reach into the screen and slap Gemma Whelan's simpering character (Carolyn's daughter) round the face with a bag of Tangfastics.
Haha agree. I don’t know what happened to the styling, they seemed to dress villanelle in madly high fashion clothes that completely swamped her, she’s so petite. Massive disappointment all round 😑

Horatio

VIP Member
I read an article by a tv critic, the actual subject of which I forget but she made a very apt point. Basically saying a third series is when a tv show has to spread its wings if its going to be successful in the long term. The first season usually has all the potential in the world and the second is often just an extension of that.

The third is usually where a successful show expands from its key players to survive. Brings in new significant characters and attached storylines. It stops relying on the initial plot and takes on new themes and directions.
It doesn’t keep beating to death an almost identical main cast and plot.
Basically everything killing eve isn’t doing.
I think if it had to keep churning out new episodes, it shouldn’t all be about the two of them and the 12 anymore. Not that they wouldn’t be key players, but there has to be more going on at this point.
We need something new!

KINGAA

VIP Member
Gonna watch with dinner, I hope it’s better than last weeks - I’m so used to binging the show that it’s harder to get into as standalone episodes

Luce0331

VIP Member
Yeah there seemed to be little point to her marriage and no mention of the wife again (so far).
It’s a shame - I LOVED the first season - Take me to the hooooollllle!!
So many amazing lines and scenes, it was perfect. Silly but perfect. Love the episode where she breaks into Eve’s flat and they have dinner.
The second series was silly but also a bit too unbelievable and lost all of the tension from the first.
And this season so far .. a handful of good scenes, but also underwhelming. The deaths that have happened are a bit ‘meh’ - whereas if they had happened in the first season, they would have mattered more? Like Bill was a massive moment.
I’ll keep watching it as Jodie Comer is still so watchable - but nothing’s matched the amazingness of the first season for me.
Agree with all of this 👌🏻

• Heart