Joe Sugg - ThatcherJoe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm very puzzled about Dianne's brain capacity. At times I feel like she's putting on an act because 1. She think it makes her funny, and/or 2. She's trying to compensate the fact that she's older than her boyfriend and most of his fandom so she thinks being dumb makes her seem younger and cuter, hence; more relatable?

From what I've seen I'm however leaning towards her actually being that thick, which kind of makes me feel sorry for Joe. Say what you want about him, he might not always make the best choices, but he's booksmart, well-informed and does actually have a genuine interest in a lot of things. Dianne doesn't seem to know anything about anything besides dance, and it must be quite frustrating for Joe to not be able to have a intellectual conversation about just normal grown up stuff, especially considering that he actually does seem to be interested in a lot of things. He always used to talk about watching documentaries and conspiracy theories videos, and I remember always being surprised by his knowledge level when watching him do gameshows and quizzes on his gaming channel. Can someone even imagine Dianne watching a documentary or just having a proper conversation about some kind of current event going on in the media? Whether it be politics, climate change, the MJ allegations or Brexit. Maybe I'm too harsh, but I honestly can't see Dianne get her head around either of those things to be able to actually have a grown-up conversation about it where critical thinking is included.
I don't think she is thick, per say. From her sentence structure and gramme, it seems like she pay have dyslexia, or some difficulty with words.

From listening to her speak, it sounds like she knows what she wants to say, but her words come out in the wrong order or she mixes up words so it makes her sound like she's being stupid. And maybe she is, but it seems more like she has some type of language difficulty.

She did leave school around the age of 14/14 and a half because she got an apprenticeship as a hairdresser. So her lack of general knowledge, could also be down to a lack of education too.

Reactions: 2
Joe’s video ideas are shite. I doubt Dianne is pushing that many people away. I will say people aged 20-30 might not be feeling his channel as much though cause him and Dianne can be quiet cringe together and the majority of his content is with Dianne. I’m 21 and I find their relationship childish and corny to watch majority of the time. I’d rather watch any one of those Brit YouTube couples, well other than Oli and his girlfriend, than watch Joanne.

He has gained an older audience that enjoy their relationship as well though. It seems like their dynamic has attracted young teens who don’t have a clue about relationships, and 45+ year olds who wish they could go back in time to the good ol days. Both groups live vicariously through their relationship and see it as some sort of fairytale.

I think branding their relationship so early is a mistake. A channel together, appearances together, majority of their content based on their relationship...I always thought Joe would be the type that would want to maintain individuality in a relationship, but that’s clearly not the case.

At the same time, maybe he would want individuality, but because this is his first relationship he’s making a mistake. This is why he really should be more cautious in these early stages. This is his first rodeo and he hasn’t really got the time to make mistakes and figure out what he does and doesn’t want in a relationship.

They know their relationship more than I do obviously, but it’s just hard not to think they’re going way too damn fast.

Last edited:
Joe’s video ideas are shite. I doubt Dianne is pushing that many people away. I will say people aged 20-30 might not be feeling his channel as much though cause him and Dianne can be quiet cringe together and the majority of his content is with Dianne.

He has gained an older audience that enjoy their relationship as well though. It seems like their dynamic has attracted young teens who don’t have a clue about relationships, and 45+ year olds who wish they could go back in time to the good ol days. Both groups live vicariously through their relationship and see it as some sort of fairytale.

I think branding their relationship so early is a mistake. A channel together, appearances together, majority of their content based on their relationship...I always thought Joe would be the type that would want to maintain individuality in a relationship, but that’s clearly not the case.

At the same time, maybe he would want individuality, but because this is his first relationship he’s making a mistake. This is why he really should be more cautious in these early stages. This is his first rodeo and he hasn’t really got the time to make mistakes and figure out what he does and doesn’t want in a relationship.

They know their relationship more than I do obviously, but it’s just hard not to think they’re going way too damn fast.
She’s featured in 3/9 of his main channel videos since his ‘comeback’ with minor appearances in the life update and chippy vids.And personally that Asos video was one of the best,I haven’t laughed like that at a yt vid in a long time. Its Joe that’s the problem not her,you literally hit the nail on the head that he’s simply run out of good ideas and there’s too many up and coming youtubers that if you’re not on it you’re out.

What so people suggest he does with his channel video wise then?Everyone here says that his ideas are tit (I agree) and he needs to change it up but not one person has been able to give a half decent answer as to what this should be😂🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 1
I think the whole “In The Pan” is a good idea but he should have kept it on his own channel and not made it totally joint with Dianne. They could have “vs” videos featuring her but he could also have other people as well and maybe even some on his own. His baking videos with Tanya Burr are some of my favorites, I’ve watched them more times than any other videos of his. Would be cool if he made videos/vlogs talking about his experiences with tv and film as well. Maybe he’s not allowed to show or talk about those things much, but would be cool if he vlogged some behind the scenes of Wonder Park and then uploaded it after it was released and talked about what it was like.

I don’t want him to quit YT completely, I’ve always enjoyed him but maybe he doesn’t need to upload as often as he does. That hair tutorial video was so.....shite lmao. No better way to put it. Tons of people only upload every few months, maybe he should try that. Instead of turning his channel into something he would criticise if it were one of his mates, he should upload less often when he has a good idea and is able to execute it well.

She’s featured in 3/9 of his main channel videos since his ‘comeback’ with minor appearances in the life update and chippy vids.And personally that Asos video was one of the best,I haven’t laughed like that at a yt vid in a long time. Its Joe that’s the problem not her,you literally hit the nail on the head that he’s simply run out of good ideas and there’s too many up and coming youtubers that if you’re not on it you’re out.

What so people suggest he does with his channel video wise then?Everyone here says that his ideas are tit (I agree) and he needs to change it up but not one person has been able to give a half decent answer as to what this should be[emoji23][emoji2368]
I mean a large part of it is what does Joe even want to do?

He seems to have slightly given up on challenges, and I think that’s a mistake. Challenges are very popular again, and it’s easy to not make them appear childish. Joe would definitely excel in those 24 hours, a week, a month challenges as his humor is very situational. That’s my suggestion.

That chair challenge video he did with the boys was in the right direction, but a shoddy attempt. Too childish and useless of a challenge, and the video felt like it was on a budget.

I mean a large part of it is what does Joe even want to do?

He seems to have slightly given up on challenges, and I think that’s a mistake. Challenges are very popular again, and it’s easy to not make them appear childish. Joe would definitely excel in those 24 hours, a week, a month challenges as his humor is very situational. That’s my suggestion.

That chair challenge video he did with the boys was in the right direction, but a shoddy attempt. Too childish and useless of a challenge, and the video felt like it was on a budget.
I do just feel like he’s outgrown the whole thing and his hearts just not in it anymore

I do just feel like he’s outgrown the whole thing and his hearts just not in it anymore
But if Joe wasn’t doing YouTube what would he even be doing? If there was something else he found that he enjoyed doing, then I’d say go for it, but there isn’t. I think he’s lost and probably a bit discouraged. He just needs to get his mojo back.

I'm very puzzled about Dianne's brain capacity. At times I feel like she's putting on an act because 1. She think it makes her funny, and/or 2. She's trying to compensate the fact that she's older than her boyfriend and most of his fandom so she thinks being dumb makes her seem younger and cuter, hence; more relatable?

From what I've seen I'm however leaning towards her actually being that thick, which kind of makes me feel sorry for Joe.
Dianne is not 'thick', IMO. She is, however, dyslexic. She has admitted to this in the vid when they visited Zalfie in Brighton, when DB was competing against JS on the dance machine. Also, in an earlier vid in the early New Year, there was a big clue when Dianne picked up Anton du Beke' s book and stated it took her 8x to read the first page of a book.

If you are dyslexic, it does not equate to lack of intelligence.

As for the Joanne vids, I agree that post-Strictly, Dianne has often acted as the fall-guy. This was not, however, the stance she took when mentoring the dance. So why the change? Well, first, I suggest she is simply supporting Joe, by adopting the role he wants her to play, and second, it is easy to play along in an unfamiliar milieu by acting as sidekick and interjecting from time to time, while often copying/backing up the main lead.

Say what you want about him, he might not always make the best choices, but he's booksmart, well-informed and does actually have a genuine interest in a lot of things. Dianne doesn't seem to know anything about anything besides dance, and it must be quite frustrating for Joe to not be able to have a intellectual conversation about just normal grown up stuff, especially considering that he actually does seem to be interested in a lot of things. He always used to talk about watching documentaries and conspiracy theories videos, and I remember always being surprised by his knowledge level when watching him do gameshows and quizzes on his gaming channel.
It is difficult to rebut this proposition without appearing pompous. I would, however, aver that Joe is far from being intellectual. I see no evidence of books in his flat. I accept he may be reading from a tablet, but there is little evidence of that in his vids (if any). I do not count interests in conspiracy theories as evidence of intellect: is David Icke a leading intellect? Joe's interest in fine art is perhaps more promising, but the trail seems to go cold upon conclusion of A levels, at which he showed promise for tertiary education. But this seems to have been rejected by his subsequent career choices, and I have not seen reference to him attending London art exhibitions. Does he? You could argue that he is an intellect as yet unfulfilled. I might argue that he finds the superficial allure of the bright lights and glamour more interesting. It does not make him a bad person.

Can someone even imagine Dianne watching a documentary or just having a proper conversation about some kind of current event going on in the media? Whether it be politics, climate change, the MJ allegations or Brexit. Maybe I'm too harsh, but I honestly can't see Dianne get her head around either of those things to be able to actually have a grown-up conversation about it where critical thinking is included
Dianne seems to me authentic in a world of superficiality. She is honest and forthright. She knows what she likes, and seems to be a good mentor at her craft - she knew how to cover over Joe's weaknesses at dance, and did not let on until after the contest was over. I would not argue that she is intellectual, but with the handicap of dyslexia, that was unlikely to be her goal, given the rural environment in which she was raised and tutored. Dianne is, however, ambitious, hard-working, determined and focussed: as such, she has now risen to the top of her career path outside films. She is currently established in the mainstream entertainment world in a way that Joe has yet to attain.

In the world of media entertainment, too often the deep subjects you list are ignored, not least because taking a stand on divisive issues like Brexit will not be career- enhancing and could well be counter'productive.

Hanging out with someone who is just clueless about everything can be fun at times but it really sucks the energy out of you after a while. I think it might really get to Joe one day, we've already seen him give those God-give-me-strength glances to the camera, and I definitely think there's some truth behind them, and If Joe would be the one to end the relationship, I think this could be the breaking deal. Sex is great and all but, 99 % of the time you'll be spending with your partner you're gonna do other stuff, and you'll want someone you can talk to about everything.
I've seen those know-all glances too. They do not reflect well on Joe. He seemed oblivious for ages to Dianne's dyslexia. Anybody can be a smart arse about spelling, if they are not dyslexic but their partner is. He seems to have slowed down on this now - and for his sake, if he is serious, he had better continue with his steep learning curve, otherwise his tears will be large and long.

Dianne has developed her coping mechanism for dyslexia, which avoids too much reading. She is a bright, infectious, positive, warm personality, a good team player and a leader. Even Zoe remarked on the positive effect on her brother. If Joe does not see this now, he will if he squanders his chances. Happily, the current PDAs, while OTT, seem go indicate he may have woken up.

Yes he probably gained the views of some 50 year old strictly viewers during to process and good on him. But honestly. I'm 26 and would rather be caught dead than caught watching Joanne do a Little mermaid hair do. On the other hand I have no problem admitting I used to enjoy his prank call videos, voice impressions and heck, even the birth stimulator videos.
All you mention I agree with (and left me cold), save the Tens video, which I thought was funny and aimed at an older audience.

If you're still in denial that Joe and Dianne are king and queen of the tweenie fest I suggest you take a look at twitter or his comment section. It's not a party I'd like to be associated with.
🤣 I am not disagreeing with you that he has expanded his younger audience, almost by accident. I suspect Strictly had an effect on galvanizing the younger audience too, but in a different way, and neither of us want the screaming teenagers, although they have intermittently been around forever with media stars.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Yeah I would hardly describe joe as book smart, I can’t even picture a single bookcase in his enourmous flat - even for his “own” graphic novels. He has never shown an interest in reading. He also sometimes likes to play dumb rather than be the smart Alec even when it’s obvious he knows what he’s pretending not to. That said he isn’t stupid, and is relatively quick, intuitive and witty about certain situations.

As for Dianne being dyslexic I really think that’s besides the point. Probably the cleverest person I know is dyslexic. Reading easily and especially spelling do not make intelligence. It’s just obvious in how you act in situations and process you information. I think she is someone who is not particularly intelligent but has become accustomed to way overplaying it.

Joe likes feeling like the smart one. It makes him feel superior. Not just with Dianne, but others too - particularly Mikey. Don't think it makes him a bad person just it boosts his fragile ego.

Dianne is not a smart woman. Plenty of smart people with dyslexia, I know some, she’s not one of them.

I don’t think she has any interest in many things and is happy being clueless. Props to her, but I’d lose my head.

Reactions: 7
Dianne is not a smart woman. Plenty of smart people with dyslexia, I know some, she’s not one of them.

I don’t think she has any interest in many things and is happy being clueless. Props to her, but I’d lose my head.
Exactly. The dyslexia element is totally irrelevant.

I agree she not at all booksmart, but she has some sense, cause seems relatively good with her money and has gotten by in countries all over the world, without mummy daddy unlike joe who always goes running back to daddy sugg when he needs help like his dad looks after his finances helped him buy chippy etc. Dianne didn't really have that.

I also think she may play up to it to boost Joe's ego, a bit cause its clear he like to feel superior. But in recent videos she has been much quieter, or says things like like I'm not good at maths or just some little comment and I don't think it's for sympathy. I think her self esteem has taken a hit being with Joe, as in early videos especially it just seemed like he mocked her quite a bit and he may do it will all his mates, but she wouldn't have been used to it like them.

Also I think it's unfair to say she doesn't have other interests, I think she just hasn't had time to. Since Christmas she has had very few days off and works 12 hours days. Her own tour is having a break, but she is starting pro tour rehearsals today. To be a full time professional dancer, you to give it everything and it doesn't really leave room for much else. The majority of the other pros are the same way, their whole lives revolve around dance and being at the top of their game.

She mentioned that she does go to yoga before and early strictly she was competing in race walking. She is probably into sports and fitness. She also clearly watches and listens to people around her, like she picked up clogging and editing from being around Joe. Yeah she's not the best, but she does deserve credit for giving it a good go.

Well joe seems to be in love, or at least lust with her and she clearly is head over heels about him. So I don't think her intelligence plays too much of a part in their relationship. Don't know if it will last, but they both might as well make the most it, which from videos and pictures they certainly are.

I agree with that dyslexia is irrelevant to how smart you are. I also know lots of smart people with dyslexia. And it's not an excuse for being completely clueless about everything (not saying Dianne is using it as an excuse). You don't need a high education or books to still be well-informed. All it takes is a bit of curiocity, interest, observation and the willingness to listen to people, absorb what is being said and ask questions. This is where I think Joe and Dianne drift apart.

I'm not saying Joe is super intellectual, but he seem like a genuinely curious guy who process information easily and cares about a lot of stuff. He enjoys learning more, even if it's outside his interest area. I don't think he has s genuine interest in anatomy or medicine but I've still seen him answering physiological questions correctly. He can quote movies he's only seen once because things just stick with him, and he often uses stuff like that as references when communicating. I don't think he lies or tries to seem smart when he says he enjoys documentaries, conspiracy theories and game shows, I genuinly think he enjoys it, no matter the subject.

Dianne seem to have been living in a dance bubble and never really cared to develop any kind of knowledge about anything that doesn't interest her. This girl grew up during the early 2000's yet she has no idea who the fictional character Gollum is, which is just one rather mindblowing example. You don't need to have read the books or even seen the movies to know who Gollum is, it's just something you probably should have picked up on at some point. But she doesn't care, like someone said, she's happy being clueless. I'd lose my head too, and I'll keep on arguing that Joe will as well some day.

I agree with what others have said that her cluelessness probably does give Joe some kind of confidence boost and makes him feel superior, but I also believe you can only take so much. I don't think it's that far reached to anticipate that this could become a problem and eventually break them up. I have several friends that I don't see anymore because they are completely uninterested in talking about anything that isn't part of their interests, it's annoying and frustrating and you start to feel like a teacher having to explain everything and update them on recent events. It might not be a big issue when you're in your late teens (hence why their fandom would never point this out) but as you grow older you notice how much communication and intellectual exchange play part in your relationship, especially today when there's s lot of things going on in the world that people feel the need to talk about. The fact that Joe can't speak publicly about politics or "deep subjects" probably does, if anything, give him the need to speak about it privately, but I struggle to see him doing that with Dianne because she doesn't seem to have any interest in learning things that aren't directly affecting her.

Reactions: 5
Out of interest what is the age range of people here? I'm 27😖😂

Sometimes depending on age we can see things differently. And, as another member above mentioned how a lot of the minions on Twitter are quite young and how they present themselves is quite embarrassing. They wouldn't even think to call out the intellectual difference/ difference in interests between Joe and Dianne which could in time lead to the demise of their relationship. They are too invested and blinded by the "kids tv presenter" image they see as their entertainment. Some of them are creepily obsessive over "Joanne" as they are living vicariously through them as a form of escapism.

Reactions: 4
Hi all! I've been lurking on this forum for quite some time and finally decided to make an account.
So first of all I like Joe and Dianne. I find that he calms her down a bit and she's making Joe more adventurous and spontaneous. But to the point... 😅 Do you guys maybe think Dianne has ADHD? She is dylexic (for many people adhd and dyslexia go hand-in-hand), she has problems with concentration (when she was talking about reading the page of Anton's book 8 times), in Joe's recent vlog she also said that she's easily distracted and can't watch a full movie. I don't know if she is and dont want to start any rumours but that idea just popped in my head.
PS. Sorry for any spelling mistakes, english isn't my first language

Hi all! I've been lurking on this forum for quite some time and finally decided to make an account.
So first of all I like Joe and Dianne. I find that he calms her down a bit and she's making Joe more adventurous and spontaneous. But to the point... 😅 Do you guys maybe think Dianne has ADHD? She is dylexic (for many people adhd and dyslexia go hand-in-hand), she has problems with concentration (when she was talking about reading the page of Anton's book 8 times), in Joe's recent vlog she also said that she's easily distracted and can't watch a full movie. I don't know if she is and dont want to start any rumours but that idea just popped in my head.
PS. Sorry for any spelling mistakes, english isn't my first language
I have ADHD myself and I find a lot of Dianne's behaviour is in line with ADHD. She loses focus on things easily, is quite impulsive, she doesn't think before she speaks, so some sentences don't sound right or can make her sound dumb, but she knows what she means even though it hasn't come out right. She interrupts people not out of rudeness b t because she has already finished the conversation in her head and doesn't realise its still going on.

There are two huge indicators which really stand out as being down to ADHD. The first is her ability to hyper focus on her interests, such as dance. ADHD is actually a deficit in attention but the inability to regulate attention. It means Dianne can focus on dance for hours a day to the point where you forget everything else, such as eating and sleeping even. A number of top athletes have ADHD, some use ADHD medication when they are not preparing for a big competition as it allows them to hyperfocus on training and nothing else. It's is why they can get so good in their chosen field because they put so much work into it because of their ability to hyper focus.

The second indicator is Dianne's emotional responses to things. People with ADHD have difficulty regulating emotions, so when she feels say happiness, she feels it to the full extent. So it makes her seem hyper, or too excited over something small. But she is feeling the full force of her emotions because she can't regulate them. It's also why she acts so cringy towards Joe, because she started to like him and when reciprocated, an ADHD brain works faster and has gone through so many scenarios already and was in love so quickly. If she has ADHD it's practically like the relationship is two years down the line for her.

I can't say for certain if she has ADHD, I'm not a psychiatrist & ADHD in women is far more complicated and more difficult to diagnose than in men and boys. She could also be dyslexic or she could just be thick.

But she seems like a nice enough girl, who is family orientated, she has made a career in a very tough field through hard work and dedication and she isn't doing any harm. Her and joe may not be suited and probably won't last, but they may as well enjoy it and make money from the relationship while it lasts. I find the relationship more interesting and entertaining than Zalfie. At least Joe and Dianne aren't underhanded and they are far more down to earth and real than Zalfie.

Reactions: 8
Out of interest what is the age range of people here? I'm 27😖😂

Sometimes depending on age we can see things differently. And, as another member above mentioned how a lot of the minions on Twitter are quite young and how they present themselves is quite embarrassing. They wouldn't even think to call out the intellectual difference/ difference in interests between Joe and Dianne which could in time lead to the demise of their relationship. They are too invested and blinded by the "kids tv presenter" image they see as their entertainment. Some of them are creepily obsessive over "Joanne" as they are living vicariously through them as a form of escapism.
Since you brought it up I made the big mistake of going on twitter last night to see what the Joanne minions were up to. They were in mourning of the Notre Dame, but not because of 800 years of culture and history going up in flames, no no, because Joe and Dianne were there last week and now their beautiful holiday memories are all gone. Boo-hoo.
You were spot on. They really do live their lifes through them. It was honestly worse than I could remember.

I also notice they all talk about Dianne as if she's a baby that needs to be taken care of. They seem to have created this image where Joe is basically a knight in shining armor and Dianne a helpless princess that needs to be resqued. Always talking about how proud Joe looks whenever Dianne is doing the most simplest stuff or how cute she is when she fails or doesn't know stuff and Joe has to help. They honestly make their relationship seem so unhealthy and immature, much more than what it is. I'm so tempted to remind them that Dianne is a 30 year old lady, not the 16 year old they make her out to be.

• Sick
Reactions: 5
The kids on twitter will get bored soon enough and move onto the next hot thing that comes about.Already things aren’t as crazy as they used to be now that the joe has a gf newness has worn off 😂

Since you brought it up I made the big mistake of going on twitter last night to see what the Joanne minions were up to. They were in mourning of the Notre Dame, but not because of 800 years of culture and history going up in flames, no no, because Joe and Dianne were there last week and now their beautiful holiday memories are all gone. Boo-hoo.
You were spot on. They really do live their lifes through them. It was honestly worse than I could remember.

I also notice they all talk about Dianne as if she's a baby that needs to be taken care of. They seem to have created this image where Joe is basically a knight in shining armor and Dianne a helpless princess that needs to be resqued. Always talking about how proud Joe looks whenever Dianne is doing the most simplest stuff or how cute she is when she fails or doesn't know stuff and Joe has to help. They honestly make their relationship seem so unhealthy and immature, much more than what it is. I'm so tempted to remind them that Dianne is a 30 year old lady, not the 16 year old they make her out to be.
Totally agree, the woman has lived on her own since she was 18 was touring the world at 20. She still alive, if that's not evidence enough that she is clearly capable of looking after herself, I don't know what what is.

She has far more life experience than Joe can cook for herself and pays her own way, as in some the holiday vlogs it's clear is pays her half. I find it ridiculous those kids think she is fragile and needs to be 'protected at all costs' as they like to say, when she is an independent career driven woman and is far from an innocent, shy virgin they think she is.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.