Joe Sugg - ThatcherJoe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ooh that is odd! Why do you think that is? Tbh I wouldn't have even noticed if you hadn't of spotted it. These tacky looking brushes are around 80 quid too šŸ˜’šŸ¤‘. So she makes money for every swipe up now? Like the hinch? How does that work exactly? I've never swiped up before. Is it the brand that pays or is it some third party link?
Affiliates are basically if you use her link/ swipe up to buy sheā€™ll get a % if the sales using her link.in this example ASOS may pay Ā£ per sale to her or % of that persons spend etc

Iā€™m guessing the ā€˜joe bought itā€™ part is to make it look like she genuinely loves the product etc rather than her wanting to make money from it.

Often these links, itā€™s clever and if you go back another time and buy at say ASOS itā€™ll still be under her as they leave cookies

• Wow
Reactions: 1
I do think Joe genuinely bought her it as theyā€™re doing the gf/bf Asos haul thing,then Asos are like hereā€™s a link to put on your story and youā€™ll get Ā£Ā£

Reactions: 5
I think Joe did buy the brushes. I see it quite a lot on here where people get quite confused about how brand deals work.

You donā€™t need to have any prior communication with a brand to use affiliate links. There are many sites you can sign up to (Shop Style Collective, Ratuken etc) if you have a following (from 1k onwards Iā€™d say) and they provide you with links from all different companies and sites that will give you commission when someone uses your link to buy something. Brands pay these sites to be featured, and then these sites pay the creators. Usually when your balance hits about Ā£50 you can start withdrawing money from these sites into your bank account. Often when affiliate links are used, there has been no communication between the influencer and the brand.

The likely situation here is:
- Joe paid out of his own money to buy Dianne some brushes. They have Ariel on and she had red hair. Cute.
- Dianne decided because she has a lot of followers and the brushes are pricy that she might want to make commission on the brushes.
- She used one of the websites to search for the product (they are essentially huge databases), found the link and then used that on her stories.

You can use affiliate links on anything - whether itā€™s been gifted, itā€™s an AD or you bought it yourself.

However, it does seem odd to cash in on a present that someone gave you...

Reactions: 10
I do think Joe genuinely bought her it as theyā€™re doing the gf/bf Asos haul thing,then Asos are like hereā€™s a link to put on your story and youā€™ll get Ā£Ā£
I donā€™t think they actually buy the ASOS hauls do they? I thought I read it was basically ASOS giving them credit to order stuff?

I think Joe did buy the brushes. I see it quite a lot on here where people get quite confused about how brand deals work.

You donā€™t need to have any prior communication with a brand to use affiliate links. There are many sites you can sign up to (Shop Style Collective, Ratuken etc) if you have a following (from 1k onwards Iā€™d say) and they provide you with links from all different companies and sites that will give you commission when someone uses your link to buy something. Brands pay these sites to be featured, and then these sites pay the creators. Usually when your balance hits about Ā£50 you can start withdrawing money from these sites into your bank account. Often when affiliate links are used, there has been no communication between the influencer and the brand.

The likely situation here is:
- Joe paid out of his own money to buy Dianne some brushes. They have Ariel on and she had red hair. Cute.
- Dianne decided because she has a lot of followers and the brushes are pricy that she might want to make commission on the brushes.
- She used one of the websites to search for the product (they are essentially huge databases), found the link and then used that on her stories.

You can use affiliate links on anything - whether itā€™s been gifted, itā€™s an AD or you bought it yourself.

However, it does seem odd to cash in on a present that someone gave you...
I wasnā€™t getting confused with brand deals. I was pointing out that one minute she said Joe bought it then the next minute she was promoting it, which seemed weird.

I also pointed out that sheā€™d declared it properly, that wasnā€™t my issue

Reactions: 2
Hmm yeah I didn't think they genuinely bought things from asos etc or if they did then they send them back once they film the haul. I assumed they were given a certain amount to spend by the brand in return for free promotion and advertising new stock. So many influencers do so many hauls each month there is no way they don't send half of that tit back - some of them even admit to it. I've already seen some minions on Twitter screenshotting their order confirmation for the tshirt that Dianne was advertising on her story the other day. These 'daily inspo' pics are just a new way for her to make money. Funnily enough before this she never used to show her outfits or beauty products. Ah well can't blame her I suppose, as long as she is being honest.

**Edited to add^** I think her style, especially clothes are absolutely ghastly and dated. Nothing goes together. I also feel she is trying to adopt joes style as her own. If you look back at her insta she used to dress more girly and feminine. She's admitted to shopping at charity shops ( good for her, I couldn't-germ phobia lol) so it wouldn't surprise me if the worn up and beaten Louis Vuitton is second hand as that's like Ā£4000. Don't get me started on the Claire accessories 'Pat Butcher' earings šŸ˜«šŸ˜‚šŸ™ˆ sorry I had to.

Last edited:
I donā€™t think they actually buy the ASOS hauls do they? I thought I read it was basically ASOS giving them credit to order stuff?
When Joe did his "My sister does my Asos shop" video a year ago he said he'd got the biggest bill afterwards. So I always assumed he pays for it, unless he lied.

Reactions: 3
When Joe did his "My sister does my Asos shop" video a year ago he said he'd got the biggest bill afterwards. So I always assumed he pays for it, unless he lied.
Ah fair enough. I always thought the reason they all used ASOS was due to some deal.

Ah fair enough. I always thought the reason they all used ASOS was due to some deal.
I used to think this as well as it one of those videos that everyone does.But Joes always been pretty honest about ads and tit so I donā€™t see why heā€™d lie about the Asos thing.

I wasnā€™t getting confused with brand deals. I was pointing out that one minute she said Joe bought it then the next minute she was promoting it, which seemed weird.
Sorry, you said ā€œIā€™m guessing the ā€˜joe bought itā€™ part is to make it look like she genuinely loves the product etc rather than her wanting to make money from it.ā€ so I thought that meant you didnā€™t know the you can use affiliate links without having direct contact with the brand.

Iā€™ve found other people on this forum didnā€™t understand how they worked, and as I work in PR and influencer marketing I just wanted to shed some light to make things clear šŸ™‚

Reactions: 4
He won't have wasted any money on the ASOS shop he did with Dianne, as all the stuff she chose was crapšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚. It'll have all been returned the following day, so he'll have got his money backšŸ˜‚

Sorry, you said ā€œIā€™m guessing the ā€˜joe bought itā€™ part is to make it look like she genuinely loves the product etc rather than her wanting to make money from it.ā€ so I thought that meant you didnā€™t know the you can use affiliate links without having direct contact with the brand.

Iā€™ve found other people on this forum didnā€™t understand how they worked, and as I work in PR and influencer marketing I just wanted to shed some light to make things clear šŸ™‚
Ah okay, fair enough. I do know how brand deals / affs work so maybe I worded it badly.

It seemed to be that she was saying joe had bought it to make it look like she geniunely loved it before promoting it on the next page. As I said she declared it so no problem really. Just thought it was weird

Ah okay, fair enough. I do know how brand deals / affs work so maybe I worded it badly.

It seemed to be that she was saying joe had bought it to make it look like she geniunely loved it before promoting it on the next page. As I said she declared it so no problem really. Just thought it was weird
Yeah itā€™s definitely a very odd thing to do, to be given a present and then profit off of it? Very strange

Unless itā€™s all just a giant undisclosed ad

I honestly wouldnā€™t be surprised if Joe bought it for her and told her to set up the link as a bonus part of his gift lol

Also, I could be imagining things but I feel like someone sent her a link/photo to that set on insta or Twitter and she was like ā€œomg I need this!!ā€ so maybe it is all a weird lie or thatā€™s how Joe found out about it? Who knows

I honestly wouldnā€™t be surprised if Joe bought it for her and told her to set up the link as a bonus part of his gift lol

Also, I could be imagining things but I feel like someone sent her a link/photo to that set on insta or Twitter and she was like ā€œomg I need this!!ā€ so maybe it is all a weird lie or thatā€™s how Joe found out about it? Who knows
Think itā€™s just because so many of them are shady AF Iā€™ve tarred them all with the same brush tbh ha

Did anyone read the guardian article about influences, most of its about gleam, but their was an interesting piece about Joe and Caspar and margarine and how brands are actually looking towards smaller companies to promote their brands and give better deals to smaller niche channels.

This may be the reason Joe made InthePan rather doing a series on Thatcherjoe and why Dianne suddly is doing more brand ads and that.

Anyways here's a link if anyone wants a read of it:https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...online-influencer-industry-is-going-authentic

Did anyone read the guardian article about influences, most of its about gleam, but their was an interesting piece about Joe and Caspar and margarine and how brands are actually looking towards smaller companies to promote their brands and give better deals to smaller niche channels.

This may be the reason Joe made InthePan rather doing a series on Thatcherjoe and why Dianne suddly is doing more brand ads and that.

Anyways here's a link if anyone wants a read of it:https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...online-influencer-industry-is-going-authentic
It was quite an interesting read. Joe clearly gets that there is potentially an audience for anything on YouTube, hence his idea of a grandfather and grandson fishing and talking about fishing and bait etc. As an idea.

It was actually pretty insightful and both he and Caspar come across as level headed young men.One of the best things they ever did was leave the gleam team

Reactions: 5
Quite enjoyed Joe and Dianne's cooking video. The culinary skills were definitely lacking šŸ˜… But I'm not a foodie anyway so it was more their interaction that I enjoyed šŸ˜Š

Was just about to ask what people thought of the cooking video. It's kinda long so I haven't seen it yet. Was watching the jaackmaate video with Alex

I thought the video was okay, a few comments from Dianne make you wonder about her sometimes, Joeā€™s face says it all. My favourite, was her not knowing how long to microwave two minute microwave rice for. But never mind.

Also her plate of food honestly looked revolting.

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.