Jimmy Savile

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I grew up watching Savile. The first rumours I heard was in the early 00's. My colleague recalled how 30ish years earlier on a regular trip to relatives the local kids warned her that Savile kept a caravan in the grounds of the local place Savile was famous for visiting, Broadmore maybe, I forget. She was warned to never go near. Technically I knew, but I like many it was such a small piece of information who really could have known? A few years later the internet was in full swing and I started reading.

We will never know the full extent, depravity and accomplices of his crimes. His famous dress sense was for easy access, the new fashion for elasticated track suit trousers meant he could whip it out and put it away quickly. He abused as he dressed, ready for any opportunity 24/7 till the day he died and his life was based around creating opportunities. Savile's confidence took lifelong advantage of the culture of suffering in silence, victim blaming, blind respect for authority, charity trumping all and told tales about himself.

He surrounded himself with power, ether people that gave Savile power, Mayor, Head of Police, or people whose power he looked up too, Prince Charles, Thatcher. Those that Savile looked up too show how effective Savile was at cultivating his image. Savile told us all about the letters he wrote to Charles and Di, obviously Savile is our only source. Savile tells us he was in with Charles, and the Royal family. Do you honestly believe him? Savile tells us he spent Christmas(?) at Checkers with the Thatchers, Carol Thatcher does not have happy memories and unlike the Royals can talk about it. There is a similar story about having a 'Green beret', much like the cycling one.

The oldest story I read was a boyfriend of a student nurse. Savile had very early on acquired keys to hospitals. This set of keys also let him into the student nurses accommodation. I don't recall the year, but it was early on, maybe early 60's? Males were not allowed in the nurses accommodation, defiantly not at night. The nurses would come home late at night to find Savile waiting for them, hiding. Finally one boyfriend and his mates decided to have a word and made a late night visit themselves and caught Savile. The only story where Savile got a beating. Not the image Savile pushed. Savile tells the tale of running a 'Hop' dance and taking troublesome customers to the basement to give them a beating. The stories are endless and varied. His family knew what he was like, but he was the rich relative and the kids were told to put up with it. Savile had his finger in many pedalo rings, celeb, political, local and national, family. Mathew Wright getting a phone call to kill the story because how else would Stoke Manderville get funded? Some of it gets really dark. The childrens homes, holidays on yachts. The eye squirting story on here. There are no specific stories I have read out there that imply Savile murdered anyone. There are stories that imply children have died in and around Savile, the Haut de la garenne. I really wouldn't be surprised if Savile was a serial murderer, it just depends how many pedalo rings he committed murder with really.

Savile had a type, vulnerable. Old, young, male, female, conscious or not and anywhere in between. He found his victims though hospital wards, departments and grounds, children's homes, cult of personality, if he was breathing he was ether abusing or planning abuse. Sometimes he muffled their screams on a yacht, other times openly groped them on Top of the pops. The last person who spoke about Savile attempting to abuse them was his paperboy who refused £50 to enter his flat.

And whose fault is it? It's is not one persons, other than Savile for doing it, fault, it is not one organisations fault. Society let him on every level. Remember a man could legally rape his wife until the early 90's. He got off on hiding in plain sight. I know people focus on the BBC, but he would have got away with it where ever he worked.

I always knew something was off with my English teacher. Never could put my finger on it. Modern technology meant they caught him grooming a student a few years ago. He'd been grooming the same way for over 30 years I now realise with hindsight, and the Deputy Head had caught him then. People do not like to cause trouble. Anything for an easy life, however much others suffer. It's much better than it was, but still not good enough. I cringe when I watch the Carry on films now. I feel sad when I see Bab's and Sid, he harassed her until she gave up. Nobody told the dirty old man to leave the young lady alone.

And Cliff, hung out on the meat rack as a boy on Piccadilly circus. That's where young boys would pimp themselves out. Attempted an aggressive pass at another 60's pop star in a club. Got thumped. Gay and into young boys. Known as Kitty. Involved with the Kray Brothers and Lord Boothby. Defiantly dodgy, but anyone was more discrete than Savile so just not that many stories about.

Rolf. I bought one of his prints as a present, so we got an invite to his next gallery opening. I met him. What do we now do with a Rolf print?

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
I remember Coleen Nolan saying she had had an incident with him and found this
There's this notorious clip of him with her on Top of the Pops.

The oldest story I read was a boyfriend of a student nurse. Savile had very early on acquired keys to hospitals. This set of keys also let him into the student nurses accommodation. I don't recall the year, but it was early on, maybe early 60's? Males were not allowed in the nurses accommodation, defiantly not at night. The nurses would come home late at night to find Savile waiting for them, hiding. Finally one boyfriend and his mates decided to have a word and made a late night visit themselves and caught Savile. The only story where Savile got a beating. Not the image Savile pushed.
If you click on the link below then scroll to the very bottom of the first page, there's a not-dissimilar anecdote - and one posted on the very day his death was announced, while glowing tributes were otherwise being paid everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
There was a lot of police corruption around the 1970s and no doubt earlier and later. I remember Operation Countryman into the London Met and the City of London Police. It's well worth having a look at the Wiki page for it. This is a quotation:

As the investigation proceeded, it began to emerge that the corruption was not limited to "a few bad apples" within the forces but was "historically and currently endemic" and "widespread throughout the hierarchical command rather than confined to those below the rank of sergeant."
It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that Saville had dirt on several police officers from that time and who had subsequently risen to high positions in various forces. Once you get to senior level, it's usual to move around forces in different jobs.

Reactions: 8
My copy of in plain sight arrived today. Do I make a start or finish Chernobyl Prayer (I read that in the bath), The Dirt also arrived today

Reactions: 1
There was a lot of police corruption around the 1970s and no doubt earlier and later. I remember Operation Countryman into the London Met and the City of London Police. It's well worth having a look at the Wiki page for it. This is a quotation:

It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that Saville had dirt on several police officers from that time and who had subsequently risen to high positions in various forces. Once you get to senior level, it's usual to move around forces in different jobs.
I have no doubt others were involved and as they moved up their employment ladders they knew Savile could bring them down so turned a blind eye to his depravity

Reactions: 4

Countryman's findings have never been made public. Many observers have concluded that it was because the corruption was that bad, however I have book that was written by a former Chief Superintendent of the City of London police who had dealings with Countryman, and he says that it has never been released because it was so utterly amateurish it was embarrassing. They called in a provincial police force (Dorset) when they should have had GMP or Merseyside.

Reactions: 2
Countryman's findings have never been made public. Many observers have concluded that it was because the corruption was that bad, however I have book that was written by a former Chief Superintendent of the City of London police who had dealings with Countryman, and he says that it has never been released because it was so utterly amateurish it was embarrassing. They called in a provincial police force (Dorset) when they should have had GMP or Merseyside.
Countryman was investigating his own force so, while I have no doubt that there were problems, he may not be unbiased. Other large city forces may have been ruled out due to similar problems; Birmingham and the West Midlands Police certainly had similar problems as that was where I was living in the 1970s and I remember the newspapers about the investigations there.

Anyway, the point is that Saville no doubt had a lot of dirt on senior police officers around England as several investigations seem to have come to a halt due to decisions made from above IIRC.

Reactions: 6
I've always assumed that Savile didn't actually have as much dirt or as much power as he claimed to have or thought he did. He probably had dirt on a couple of people here and there, but I think that primarily it was a classic case of someone becoming untouchable by acting as if he already was. Which works far better than it theoretically should, especially if you are a manipulative and amoral sex offender like Savile was. He also had the advantage of being famous and male, in a society where that meant he was believed above almost anyone else.

Reactions: 10
I remember when he died, there was a Popbitch mail out that said former Radio 1 DJs were contacted by the media for comments. One of them apparently said ’ I couldn’t stand him’. I think it was rumoured to be Noel Edmonds.

Reactions: 14
I've always assumed that Savile didn't actually have as much dirt or as much power as he claimed to have or thought he did. He probably had dirt on a couple of people here and there, but I think that primarily it was a classic case of someone becoming untouchable by acting as if he already was.
It takes a lot of guts to be a whistleblower, because it is a thankless job. They get so much push back from those around them, it can take a decade to come to fruition. You have to stomach the idea that you will be the one losing your job, you might be the one prosecuted. Doing what is right on a grand scale like that, it's not surprising that some people choose not to get involved. When it comes to sexual assault, the cops and the courts haven't evolved that much from he said/she said.

Reactions: 16
I remember watching the very affable Michael Palin on Parkinson way back in the 70's. Jimmy Saville was Parky's second guest and Michael Palin was really rude and offhand with him. He made it very plain that he detested him,so out of character for the usually good natured Palin. I found Saville repulsive but was surprised by Michael Palin's very upfront attitude, now of course I realise he must have known what an abomination Saville was and was not going to hide his distaste and loathing ofJ S which is what everyone else did, Parky was right up Saville's arse.

Reactions: 35
I remember watching the very affable Michael Palin on Parkinson way back in the 70's. Jimmy Saville was Parky's second guest and Michael Palin was really rude and offhand with him. He made it very plain that he detested him,so out of character for the usually good natured Palin. I found Saville repulsive but was surprised by Michael Palin's very upfront attitude, now of course I realise he must have known what an abomination Saville was and was not going to hide his distaste and loathing ofJ S which is what everyone else did, Parky was right up Saville's arse.
There's a short clip here of Savile on Parkinson. Palin's not on it, though, so that must have been a different appearance.

Reactions: 3
There's a short clip here of Savile on Parkinson. Palin's not on it, though, so that must have been a different appearance.

Makes me feel sick 🤮

Must have

Yes the conversation focused a lot on trains because Palin was a bit of a train geek and at the time JS was doing adverts for British Rail.

My copy of in plain sight arrived today. Do I make a start or finish Chernobyl Prayer (I read that in the bath), The Dirt also arrived today
It's expensive on Amazon

Reactions: 3
This is quite a long preview of the book but if you look hard enough you can find the e-book on the web.

Reactions: 5
This is quite a long preview of the book but if you look hard enough you can find the e-book on the web.

Thank you

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.