Jack Monroe (bootstrapcook)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm watching That Man now. He's undeniably a bit of a twit but an extremely soothing, confident twit. Just watching a calm, reassuring man make pasta is what I need right now.

Also, he's just making food with stuff you probably do have but not that necessarily cost 50p to make.
exactly, i think that's the whole point, people would prefer a well known face with no strong (i think, outsidd of food anyway, political etc views) at this time

Reactions: 6
She reminds me of the girls at senior school who always created drama out of nothing and made up lies for attention. Except she kind of hasn't really grown out of it.

Shame as if she was just authentic she'd probably be alright, I'd rather see her Greek side come out to play, be way more fun 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I watched the last few minutes. Simple pasta sauces that jack could have never pulled it off. She's dillusional and has made a right tit of her self.

Reactions: 8
exactly, i think that's the whole point, people would prefer a well known face with no strong (i think, outsidd of food anyway, political etc views) at this time
Yes, him, Delia, Nigella, Prue Leith, Mary Berry, Gordon Ramsey... any of the nice comforting TV chefs could have done it. I don't think it's so much about helping anyone as just making soothing television.

Reactions: 7
She is embarrassing!

I used to think she was outspoken and morally just but now she's just... a twit will pin her colours to whatever is woke or radical.

Reminds me of 14 year old me who went all out complaining that my school didn't have a girls football team. We made enough noise and got one. I never went, had zero interest in football. I just wanted to make a point.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Yes, him, Delia, Nigella, Prue Leith, Mary Berry, Gordon Ramsey... any of the nice comforting TV chefs could have done it. I don't think it's so much about helping anyone as just making soothing television.
Or Rick Stein. I know he isn't particularly known for store cupboard essentials but I think he just is the most reassuring presence and seems very kindly.
I actually think in this case Jack is wrong for a number of reasons but the main one is that I want someone for whom, like us all probably, this style of cooking is unusual and not the norm. They are in it with us finding their feet.
Jack rattling off 81 recipes like it is no big deal to me seems though she is the 'expert' on this topic, she doesn't grasp how we want to be reassured that this isn't normal, it is a peculiar situation, you aren't going mad for being apprehensive. I don't think we need a know-all right now.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I’ve never been JO’s biggest fan but watched last night and found him reassuring. He’s confident, self assured, familiar. This is what we need in this time. We want comfort food and that’s what he delivered.

Reactions: 13
What is she trying to prove? The amount she bangs on about how long she works is so odd, and unbelievable.
what exactly does she claim to do for a living that means she has to be “working” at 3.30am.....?!!!!

Reactions: 19
what exactly does she claim to do for a living that means she has to be “working” at 3.30am.....?!!!!
I think unless you're dealing with a wildfire, nuclear reactor melt down or, you know, coronavirus, if you are working 18-20 hour days as she claims and all you achieve is to post some recipes that amount to "dump some cans of stuff in a pan and choke it down with a smile when it's heated through" and be bolshie all over Twitter - well then I'd say you're doing something wrong. She's not saving anyone's life suggesting they mix sardines and tomatoes and serve it with rice. If all you have is sardines, canned Toms and rice that's what you'll do anyway.

Have an early night and a bit of lie in, Jack. Do some yoga. Sip some Peace tea. Calm yourself asaaaalllllll the way doooooooowwwwn and life will feel better, you'll experience less panic and anxiety and That Man will cease to be a weird obsession for you.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
🙄at all her followers calling her selfless with her tweets. She's getting loads more pateron donations, selling alot of books,no doubt getting PayPal donations and massively raising her profile. She wouldn't do this if there wasn't something in it for her. It's many things, but definitely not sellfless
PSX_20200324_091556.jpg

She's certainly doing just fine at the moment 🤑
PSX_20200324_090931.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 12
I hadn't heard of her before but I looked her up on youtube and one of the first videos that shows up is her on Jamie Oliver's Food Tube channel? Sorry if this has been discussed already

• Wow
Reactions: 6
I’ve always had my doubts about this woman’s back story......the poverty and food bank use, sexual violence survivor, ex sex worker, self harm, eating disorders, bullied, trans for a bit, alcoholism......

I remember quite a few years ago when I followed her, she was asking for advice after spilling something on her Mulberry handbag and then the next minute she’s crying poverty again. Oh and only buys shoes from Russell & Bromley because their shoes are the only ones that fit.

And another tale that made me 🙄 apparently passed the all the selection tests including fitness to become a firefighter. Despite being a premature baby and having Asthma and the endless other ailments.

All very odd yet the blue tickers lap her up
Don't forget the rheumatoid arthritis that meant she'd never be able to walk without a stick a few years ago...
Screenshot_20200324-123504.jpg
Screenshot_20200324-123526.jpg
Screenshot_20200324-123552.jpg

What is she trying to prove? The amount she bangs on about how long she works is so odd, and unbelievable.
That shes a massive hard working breadwinner (even though shes skint)
And not someone who spends all day on twitter and browsing the internet for recipes while her partner goes out to work as a tv producer.

Reactions: 15
Does she still use said walking stick are was there a miracle cure? I mean I might leave Ireland for Southend all my hip problems could be miraculously cured.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
She's so in your face and aggressive, just what we don't need. I'd imagine on her own show she'd start each recipe with an anecdote like the time a pimp spat in her mouth and she got hepatitis, or other stories she's picked up from the telly.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
She doesn't neeeeeed to be working at 03:30am. I think 'working hard despite the odds' is an identity that she clutches onto tbh. Noone is making her get up at 03:30am.

Reactions: 5
If she's claiming to be crippled with arthritis and needs a stick...
Seems odd that on International Women's Day she shared a photo of her public speaking, giving a speech stood on tiptoes throughout. Boasted that she has done it this way for years as can do it for 12 minutes... Strange that 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.