Jack Monroe #98 Thoroughly Naff

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That’s not exactly what happened with York Road Market!
It was always a little shabby, they had to get rid of some of it but refurbed other places. It then still wasn’t bringing in enough custom so had to go. Traders were very aware of what was happening. Some of the traders moved in to the high street and still have their shops there, for example Frame It, a framing shop that started in York Road market and is now just off the other end of the High Street instead.

From one article about it “Traders at York Road Market, who were finding it difficult to attract customers despite a revamp last April, have been told by Southend Council it will close, pending a review, because of lack of custom.”

York Road had a bad reputation. A lot of people didn’t feel safe shopping around there which resulted in a lack of income to the market. It would have been lovely if it was moved to a nicer place but physical shops had started to decline and as I’ve said, a lot moved or just weren’t really sustainable anymore. Whether the market had stayed there or not.
Agree with all this. In addition there’s a successful weekly high st market now too.

Reactions: 18
tit I do that frequently 😂 I'm guilty about using 'lads' too. More often to address groups of girls than groups of boys. Can I claim it's some kind of subversive feminist power move? (Realistically it's not, it's just that teacher move of wanting to talk to large groups and finding 'guys' too cringey. Jack's ruined it now anyway. Along with any use of the word 'soft' ever.)
I used to use 'lads' in the classroom but mainly as it was an Irish thing and everything is 'Ah Jaysus lads, wait til I tell you!'
But I got a warning.
Chaps didn't 'suit' me so I moved onto 'chums'..

Reactions: 16
She doesn't get it, does she? She really doesn't get the actual, terrifying hardship that some people are going to suffer.

No one wants news people to lose jobs either, but she could put this so much better. Why is she so rude to someone who's expressing concern for other human beings??

Here Jack, I'll model a better response:

"I know, it's really concerning and my heart goes out to those in that position as jobs in all industries are under threat, but obviously those already on min wage are going to really suffer. [Continues to add link to food bank/charity donation and some ideas of how to support/petition the government for more support]"

Like I haven't done the research but wording a civil response is not that difficult.
View attachment 295527
Poor Louisa.... cuts to her department. Why you care so much Jack... lost your sugar mumma and back to £20 yellow sticker shops.

Reactions: 22
I am sure it has been brought up already but..the cat food was not included in her ASDA budget!!! So angry!!!
She simply spent 20 quid at ASDA, but she did not live off 20£ !!!

Reactions: 46
I used to use 'lads' in the classroom but mainly as it was an Irish thing and everything is 'Ah Jaysus lads, wait til I tell you!'
But I got a warning.
Chaps didn't 'suit' me so I moved onto 'chums'..
Oh tit, you got a warning!? I haven't been told off yet 😬 Yeah, I always used it a bit like that and as a collective but I can also get why it might be seen as not very inclusive. I know colleagues who got told off for using 'man up' which I thought was fair enough but lads is just...lads...

I quite like the sound of 'chums' and I use 'folks' a lot too, tbf they're probably both a bit more gender neutral so maybe I'll switch to them if it's okay to nick 'chums'?

(Cue Jack now using it aaaall of the time 🙄)

Is anyone else singing Hootsuite to the song Toot Sweets?
YES.

Reactions: 12
Oh tit, you got a warning!? I haven't been told off yet 😬 Yeah, I always used it a bit like that and as a collective but I can also get why it might be seen as not very inclusive. I know colleagues who got told off for using 'man up' which I thought was fair enough but lads is just...lads...

I quite like the sound of 'chums' and I use 'folks' a lot too, tbf they're probably both a bit more gender neutral so maybe I'll switch to them if it's okay to nick 'chums'?

(Cue Jack now using it aaaall of the time 🙄)

YES.
Work away with chums! No one has objected to that.
I got a bollocking for 'Brainstorming' one time, but that was many years ago..

Right, back to our 'chum' Jack!

• Wow
Reactions: 6
I think this is a move in the right direction, and it looks like Jack has actually put some thought in to it.
not sure she has put that much thought in. looks like another bandwagon trip probably inspired by the google ads with Anthony Joshua out now about supporting local business.
the Autism bandwagon was around the time Chris Packham and Greta “came out”
Trans bangwagon was a fews years back when that was more in the media.
Recent rise of veganism. The Metal health awareness, the narrative ,sorry I mean bullshit always fits with latest “fashion “

Reactions: 18
panic buying lolz. also, dunno about asda, but at morrisons, it applies to pasta as a whole

Screenshot_20201101-114544_Twitter.jpg

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 37
View attachment 295670

no one gives a sh*t about the breed of some friend from the past's dog who are you talking to?!
I‘m so confused by this tweet. Why is she martyring on about taking a one hour round trip on foot, to a local butchers, to get chicken and sausages for her darling son (but not her because she’s 50% vegan... when she’s asleep that is) like her weekly trips to Asda were a figment of our imaginations?

Local shops are only for lockdown, eh Jack?

Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.