Jack Monroe #93 I can’t believe she’s no butter

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've been thinking over the last couple of days about how unfit for purpose Jack's recipes are. Not just for all the obvious reasons - they're also really badly written, and I feel that any recipes targeted at food bank users should be written in very clear, simple English.

To be clear, I certainly don't believe that all poor people are illiterate; however, someone who struggles with literacy will have a hell of a time dealing with chickpeas bathing in their own ephemera.
Yes, food banks deal with a wide range of people, some of whom will have issues with following recipes due to disability, poor literacy, poor English and let's face even depression can absolutely ruin your concentration which coupled with a lack of motivation makes following recipes and instructions hard. To be inclusive you have to factor all that in and keep it simple so it's accessible to the widest possible range of people.

It really sends me into a total rage that she has the nerve to present herself as an anti poverty campaigner. She doesn't have the first clue about providing front line help or what issues keep people trapped
in poverty. There are countless frontline organisations that she could volunteer with, even just a half day a week that would let her see first hand what the issues are and inform what she grandly refers to as "her body of work".

Only one person has liked this.
Jack.
What is wrong with these people? Princess Anne could speak with more credibility on poverty that bleeping Jack.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
I am sort of schadenfreudishly pleased that having slagged off Krishnan Guru-Murthy, she now has to watch her big cool pals like Jay & Nigella say exactly the same thing he did, & can't get in on it because she's made a (stupid) opposing stand.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 86
Yes, food banks deal with a wide range of people, some of whom will have issues with following recipes due to disability, poor literacy, poor English
I have excellent English (well I think so) but even I had difficulty following the over wordy soup recipe. I know, I promised not to mention it again, but it's pertinent. The description of sometimes I cut it tomatoes into 4 or sometimes I cut them into 8 because I like teeny tiny things, just got in the way.

Just write the ingredients you need and a concise method. There's a reason that recipe books are set out the way they are.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Goodness me, she mumbled her way through that. I had to listen twice
She is a truly awful public speaker. The fact she thinks she is hard done to in not getting TV work when she lacks the basic skills of being a broadcaster - such as talking clearly, being charismatic, not mentioning how tit things are going every ten seconds - blows my mind.

Reactions: 40
I fecking love this! Marcus Rashford is creating a movement, it gives me the shivers going through his twitter and seeing he’s mentioned all the councils and places that are offering free meals for kids. 😍🥰

Meanwhile in a seaside resort in Essex, the only movement Jack Monroe is able to create comes exclusively from her tit food! 💩

Attachments

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 54
Who is visiting other forum and spreading the word??🙄

The worst I’ve seen lately was Jack Monroe who co-presented Daily Kitchen Live earlier this year. She was absolutely terrible - underprepared, unrehearsed, couldn’t take cues so when they passed over to her she was either adjusting her clothing or staring into space (a couple of times she’d disappeared altogether), couldn’t read the autocue and kept making mistakes, gave out dangerous advice that made her co-presenter look panicky (e.g. she said to cook garlic bulbs in the microwave “but careful it doesn’t catch fire”), and the food she cooked looked inedible.
She must have relatives in TV or something, I can’t see any other possible reason she landed that gig when she was so inept.
FlagQuote
I'm dying at this :ROFLMAO:
"A couple of times she'd disappeared altogether"
"Careful it doesn't catch fire"

Also I am hooting that the crappy bungalow has an INCINERATOR. Do we finally have some closure on the chicken livers? 🔥

• Haha
Reactions: 47
Thanks so much, I sometimes read my own posts back and get emotional myself if I am honest,. They bring back so many memories that I have pushed to the back of my mind. I do sometimes worry that I am being a bit like Jack though; talking about me too much.
Ah, sweetie. Nice try. You can't compete with Jack! Seriously, I'd make you a cup of tea any day x

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 29
oh look at me doing chaos - yes! Over here! Aren't I just the most adorable little urchin.you have ever seen! No don't look over there, that's just a pile of old tweets I I'm about to clear up.
Her manic little pixie persona is grating 😐

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Marcus rashford has proper given me eye wets today, and all the lovely people that are now helping

• Heart
Reactions: 45
I have been BUSY OK? I went to the post office, but I saw a muddy puddle on the way. I was so intrigued that I went over to check if there were any luxury items lurking in its depths. There was only a pair of gloves, but they were Primak. I wasn't bending down for that bleeping cheap crap, are there no millionaires misplacing their clothing anymore? Then a man came over and whispered in my ear how he loved my body of work. I was so startled as I don't have a body of work, so I kicked him in the shins. I eventually got to the post office and they told me that I had already posted one parcel in the past month and that they couldn't keep up with the workload that I was giving them.

So I threw the soup down the toilet. Sorry.
Excuses,excuses 😂.I hope your soup isn't repeating on you 😊.I thought you must have been BUSY .I still have to take our dog a walk unusually it's not raining so I can only dream of a treasure puddle like Mackies .I will be on my best behaviour and not kick anyone's shins .

• Haha
Reactions: 20
admirable. i watched it with sound off
OMFG! Unbelievable. Ok, quick competition using a gem from that vid, finish this:
“Jack’s Golden Rule:.....”
Vlad will handsomely reward the best one. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 13
It really is amazing what you can do for child poverty if you tell your particular story ONCE then focus on what you can do for children right now.
Amazing.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
That food bank video is funny because it was clearly made a long time ago!

(Jack, if as you're reading, this is one reason why a lot of famous people don't completely overhaul their style every six months - it pinpoints things that you might want to be timeless to a particular date. It also means that you have a recognisable image, rather than cartwheeling from power butch to 50s housewife to whatever the duck the reverse rat's tail was supposed to be)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
Some of the comments are 😂😂😂😂. One mentions their pantry AND downstairs fridge.
A “downstairs fridge“ is what I get when I see JM’s dirty, long fingernails *shudders*

(btw I’m catching up here, so I really hope this comment doesn’t land at a wildly inappropriate moment)

• Haha
Reactions: 43
She is a truly awful public speaker. The fact she thinks she is hard done to in not getting TV work when she lacks the basic skills of being a broadcaster - such as talking clearly, being charismatic, not mentioning how tit things are going every ten seconds - blows my mind.
Jack's problem is that she wants everything handed to her because she was skint for a bit almost a decade ago. Some people have a natural talent for presenting and public speaking. Jack does not so the only way she's going to get any better is to put the work in and the most obvious way for her to do that is to set up a YouTube channel and make her own stuff, which gives her unlimited rehearsal time and the chance to edit it afterwards. She could monetise this and fund her Cotswold habit whilst developing real skills.

Reactions: 31
It's a shame Jack is pretending to be busy tidying up while Marcus Rashford and his campaign are the top two trends on Twitter.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.