Jack Monroe #89 Did you know she once ran out of jam?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was mulling this over in the shower this morning and am probably not going to articulate it particularly well, but she really reminds me of myself in my early twenties. I was a total hot mess and proud of it, always creating chaoses, switching identities and interests more often than I changed my knickers. I could be very charming in a quirky, manic way, so would have a rotating door of usually older girlfriends, who quite rightly got tired of my tit pretty quickly, I'd create more drama to lure them back but then swiftly find myself a new target.

I was terrible with money, always overspending and reaching the furthest reaches of my overdraft within days of payday. I was incredibly lucky with career opportunities but would change jobs every year or so, probably linked to my ever-shifting identity.

I had residual eating issues from adolescence so would live off slop with no texture, flavour or nutritional value - rice in a bowl of vegetable stock being a favourite meal.

But you know what? That was ten years ago. By the time I was 25/26, I realised it wasn't cute anymore and that I needed to grow the duck up. I moved out of London because I was kidding myself that I could afford to live there, settled down with a fantastic, stable, kind partner who was quite clear that they wouldn't put up with the chaoses, sorted my career out and have recently started a family.

I'm still not great with money, and like Jackie get tempted by high end things (embarrassed to admit that I do indeed have a Dyson hairdryer), but I save up for things or tend to get second hand/refurbished. Sadly yet to find any hideous designer scarves in puddles though.

The idea of still behaving the way I did, and as Jack does now, makes me cringe so much I'm basically doing kegels. Especially when you become a parent, you have a responsibility to get your act together and be an adult. I've been partial to the odd selfie myself in the past, but I wouldn't dream of a thot shot or animal bra pic. I'd be mortified for any of my closest friends to see something like that, let alone colleagues, potential employers and the whole public.

I used to think she was great, probably because I'm a Guardian-reading, avocado-munching, middle class millennial twit who has been so damn lucky in my life that I took her poverty tale as gospel. But since dealing with her indirectly for work, then the begging at the beginning of lockdown (I have a real issue with Patreon types but that's another rant for another day) and the sideboard thot shots earlier in the year, the scales really fell from my eyes.

I look at how she behaves and can't believe that I'm a year younger than her - it's like watching a teenager desperate for attention.

Rant over. Sorry about that, she really grates my mushrooms, especially at the moment.

• Heart
Reactions: 104
View attachment 278249
Donā€™t know about you guys but I am JEALOUS of Jacks placenta based breakfast.
I think weā€™ve found the liver.

Only vaguely on topic:

Does anyone remember when Colin Farrellā€™s sex tape leaked? He was going down on his gf and said something about how heā€™d want to carry on for ā€œbreakfast, lunch and bleeping dinnerā€.

Anyway, I always think of Colin now when anyone says ā€œbreakfast, lunch and dinnerā€ šŸ˜…
same!! I have watched that tape so many times šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I just showed my Mum this...

0AE416DA-9D6F-4CC8-8536-BB77601A14FD.jpeg

Purely to see her reaction to someone grating corned beef. The reaction was dumb struck, she didnā€™t even speak, just did this šŸ¤¢ and after gagging said who the hell wants to grate corned beef?

Sit down Mum, youā€™re in for a long afternoon.

Ps. Jack my Mum comes from a real life pitman family where every male worked down the pit until they were seriously injured/died or retired. You have no idea of hard work or being poor or a long day. These people lived on a pittance and still didnā€™t grate corned beef.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 43
Mine came in a set of three in different sizes. šŸ˜Š edited to add a picture. Like these. They have them on eBay and Amazon and other places but for more than I paid. I just googled Pyrex bowls with lids.

Psst. Mom is now on BBC2.
Awww thank you so much for this šŸ˜Šx

Reactions: 7
Currently watching Ainsley. He normally pisses me off with his enthusiasm but what has really struck me today is how much he LOVES food. Genuine passion. Sharing useful tips. He is ALL THE HAPPY.
She just hates food doesn't she?

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I donā€™t know why, but her constant use of the word soft to describe things is like nails down a blackboard to me. Soft cheese, soft butter, soft eggs šŸ¤¢. The way she writes and her overruse of florid language is just šŸ˜–šŸ„ŗšŸ˜©

*runs screaming into the abyss
I kind of get it with the cheese, because soft cheese is actually a thing, unless she is trying to refer to standard cheddar as soft in which case nope nope nope. But soft butter is not a separate product, it's just butter that's not been in the fridge?? And eggs are soft on the inside and hard on the outside? I'm so confused by her words sometimes, she has a real knack for rendering them totally meaningless.

Reactions: 19
This typo tickled me.

Is there an equivalent to facetune for food? An app for it?

#notJacksaccount
I was typing whilst lying on 3 weeks worth of clothes that I had to put away. BTW, it was on the bed, but I didn't take any pictures of myself, or my ginger floof. (Nb. I don't have a ginger floof that is cat shaped or any other type, I'm just trying to be droll)

• Haha
Reactions: 11
It would appear that Jackā€™s Ā£20-but-not-actually-Ā£20 shopping project had been necessitated by her spending a few hundred quid on microblading.

• Haha
Reactions: 44
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.