Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Malacandra

I'm so very, very sorry for your losses.

My favourite Victoria work (other than the Requiem) is O Magnum Mysterium. A friend sung it at Notre Dame one Christmas - the acoustics were amazing, it was so dark, but then the voices start swirling around and then I could hear the effect of them being carried, swirling, upwards. Genius in the composition and utter genius in the acoustic engineering.

I love Renaissance polyphony. Not such a huge fan of the showboating in things like Spem in Allium, although I get the allusions. And Latin always lays itself open to shite humour playing on my being an utter oik and willfully misinterpreting the words. 'Can we do the lost ice cream song?' or 'Whales in the Onions?'.
Don't you dare diss Spem in Alium! Or since I came across JM, Sperm in Alliums.

• Haha
Reactions: 11

NellieBoo

VIP Member
Why hasn't she been able to play piano since March because of covid? Is the piano in her house?

ETA Ignore me. That was a poor squiggle.

Marwood

Haven't a notion yet how to quote from a closed thread, but thank you @Veronicaaa for bringing Kimberley Wilson to my attention! Interesting stuff

Marwood

This is what Jack herself said about when she spoiled her EU Referendum vote.
Oh, and the “bar” she said she went to afterwards was the Groucho Club (the private members’ club).
Ah. Was it a bad patch at the time?

But she later told a journalist that she’d spoilt her ballot paper by writing, ‘Not my circus. Not my monkeys.’

This is your circus, Jack. These are your flying monkeys.
Ah now that's rather more infuriating

Don't you dare diss Spem in Alium! Or since I came across JM, Sperm in Alliums.
Oh, pur-lease!

If I want to hear 40 voices all warbling a slightly different melody and timing, I'll just go into a Year 7 singing class in the Arts Centre (social distancing, you know) without ear filters when they're trying to sing in unison.

It's still better than my last school, where I developed an uncontrollable hatred for fucking Hillsong's fucking My fucking shitty Lighthouse due to their atonal shouting and bellowing.

Bloody protestant modern worship songs. Bereft of any musical value. And the sodding rip off of Johnny Matthis singing When a Child is Born that is the bastardised The Lord is My Shepherd fills me with rage at the thought somebody makes money from that shite.

Cool story, bro.
Meanwhile, in other news there is a pandemic going on. People are dying and losing their livelihoods.
Sorry for your loss and all but just fuck your privilege and enjoy your glorious music.
>>points coming your way, @SoulRebel.
What?

Are we not allowed to talk about music now?

Last edited:

Malacandra

Which one?

There are an awful lot of Requiem Masses, after all. Never heard of one being belted out before though, as it's kind of the absolute fucking antithesis to the meaning and context of the piece. It's also easier (and better technique) to sing them quietly to improve of accuracy and tone.

If she's that into classical music, she could just join a community choir - they're being held online at present (good practice for actually getting the equipment to work before there's a job involved) and she'd probably learn lots about how to sing.

The scores are also available for free online, too. No need to fuck about with trying to pick out a note on a piano, just read the fucking score parts. Or use the variations that are available on YouTube with the different vocal parts.
I doubt that she can read music.
The Pie Jesu is most like Lloyd Webber's.