Jack Monroe #77 Further into the depths of culinary depravity

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
'It's quite horrible living in a tourist town in the middle of a pandemic actually'

Go tell that to the people of Edinburgh!

Although maybe in the world of Jack it doesn't count. It's just a city, after all.
To defend our darling slop bunger:

a) Jack was not being a tourist. Jack never had a holiday growing up, and now hasn't had one for 7 years. Jack was returning to her spiritual home.

b) It's hard to spread coronavirus when you spend your entire not-a-holiday locked in an apartment taking pictures of slop with your tongue.

c) The real villains here are the train company who allegedly forced Jack to break social distance. Bastards.

• Haha
Reactions: 68
LavaFlake said:
100%. Corned beef should be used in a hash, not grated into a lasagne/bolognese/whatever Italian recipe she decided to ruin that day on DKL.
It was a chilli and I will thank you not to mention it again, I'd only just suppressed the memory.

In that podcast I listened to the other day, she was talking about how all her recipes came from having odds and ends in the cupboards and just slamming them together. No tit, we can tell. This newest concoction looks like one of those old freeze-dried army rations that some poor sod has had to rehydrate although I imagine if they gave her slop to the army they would sooner walk straight into enemy fire before consuming any of it.

• Haha
Reactions: 45
Or just a nice baked potato with tuna and (Hellmanns) mayonnaise.
I would honestly be really pleased if she just did a weekly meal plan on a budget that was food like that. Pasta bakes etc. Accessible and delicious, genuinely appealing food. I would friggin cheer.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
In that podcast I listened to the other day, she was talking about how all her recipes came from having odds and ends in the cupboards and just slamming them together. No tit, we can tell.
To be fair, I'm a fan of that method but it takes a bit of common sense. Courgettes are a spring / summer veg, mushrooms are an autumn one, NEITHER take nearly as much cooking as root veg, such as, for example, carrots. SO WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS -

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 29
It was a chilli and I will thank you not to mention it again, I'd only just suppressed the memory.

In that podcast I listened to the other day, she was talking about how all her recipes came from having odds and ends in the cupboards and just slamming them together. No tit, we can tell. This newest concoction looks like one of those old freeze-dried army rations that some poor sod has had to rehydrate although I imagine if they gave her slop to the army they would sooner walk straight into enemy fire before consuming any of it.
That's what the teeny veg reminds me of! The dehydrated veg pieces in packets of savoury rice, dried soup mix and the like.

Reactions: 21
Why does she do this? Why does she purposefully try to make peoples' lives harder by saying in the recipe to chop everything up small when a. they don't have to and b. it's totally going against the remit she's set herself which is to cook all the meals with what she's bought. I DON'T GET IT!!
And also what about the people with SEVERE ARTHRITIS?!

• Haha
Reactions: 30
To be fair, I'm a fan of that method but it takes a bit of common sense. Courgettes are a spring / summer veg, mushrooms are an autumn one, NEITHER take nearly as much cooking as root veg, such as, for example, carrots. SO WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS -
Sorry to be a bore but also, courgette and lemon - match made in heaven. Carrots / mushrooms and lemon?

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 39
To defend our darling slop bunger:

a) Jack was not being a tourist. Jack never had a holiday growing up, and now hasn't had one for 7 years. Jack was returning to her spiritual home.

b) It's hard to spread coronavirus when you spend your entire not-a-holiday locked in an apartment taking pictures of slop with your tongue.

c) The real villains here are the train company who allegedly forced Jack to break social distance. Bastards.
Also she never went to a chain restaurant because Dishoom has fewer than ten branches so that is social distancing because she was miles away from the one near her house

• Haha
Reactions: 46
I can't believe I'm saying this but - that recipe would genuinely be improved with the addition of squirrel roadkill.

Also she never went to a chain restaurant because Dishoom has fewer than ten branches so that is social distancing because she was miles away from the one near her house
In restaurant parlance.

• Haha
Reactions: 43
ah, this is why she starts prepping at 3pm, so plenty of time to chop and chop and chop

daily routine
0800 school run
0900 dinosaur nap
1200 furious tweeting
1300 delete some tweets
1500 start chopping
1530 quality time
1800 eat slop
1801 post recipe
1802 furious tweeting
1930 sb to bed
2000 gazing into aware mirror
2100 nudes
2130 delete tweets
2300 bed
0400 tweets to Czech lover
‘2000 gazing into aware mirror’ 😳

That brings to mind one of my favourite quotes: ‘When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you.’

This also applies to her Tattle time 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 37
I need to know. The addition of mushroom, Jack is that the recommended daily allowance of vitamin d?

• Haha
Reactions: 22
I had practically duck all in my cupboards and fridge this evening and came up with a better meal than that. (It was quinoa and courgette fritters which tasted pretty good, but it was a definite day-before-the-supermarket-shop meal).

Reactions: 30
1 tin of tuna for 4?! How big is this tin?

That looks disgusting. She has got to be trolling now surely?

Why chuck all that veg in a dish when it’s not needed? One of the nicest comfort dishes I cook is pasta with tuna, tinned tomatoes (seasoned, I know...maverick) and black olives. It doesn’t need a load of random veg chucked in 🤷‍♀️

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.