Jack Monroe #76 £300 mirror mirror on the wall, who’s the poorest of us all?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Most recent ad, in the middle of the Brenda’s Flaccid Sausages/Ouchy Mouth episode....

well done Vlad🔺🎯

39863150-23F0-4FCC-8837-60A6C7A18486.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Christ, i've just read the recipe for moonshine mash.

That claggy wallpaper paste would have anyone backed up for days.

And why does she write about herself as if she is a food critic reviewing her own recipes? It's stomach churning!

"Moonshine Mash first appeared in Cooking On A Bootstrap, a bootleg riff on polenta made with potatoes and corn. I so named it because ‘hooch’, or moonshine, is typically made from potatoes or corn, and the idea of my own sneaky irreverent take on something usually considered quite special rather tickled me. This version takes the idea even further into the depths of culinary depravity"

Which inspires this:

Jack Monroe #77 Further into the depths of culinary depravity
She could have used her mother's cultural form of moonshine made from potatoes called poteen.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
On a posting roll as I’ve finally caught up!

As I was perusing my Ocadolife magazine (fancy! But also free!), I came across the following — for all those tiring of the all bollock sausages all the time tedium (not you, @BollockSausage 😘), wondering when we will ever witness chickpea ephemera or its like again, I offer you this:

1600841235334.png

Ephemera in a carton, no draining or rinsing required. Man, what a time to be alive!

• Haha
Reactions: 36
She is utterly incapable of saying sorry, I messed up. Jackie, dear heart, try it some time. It's what people want to hear when you've messed them about. Not your excuses.
It’s not just the lack of apology she blames you for being so unreasonable as to want what you paid for

Her response on here was well they got the book which while true isn’t sufficient

As you say an apology would go a long way not why it is never her fault but always yours

I know she apologized for the Cameron tweet but I do wonder at the character of a person who could write that particularly when allegedly a professional whatever she is now

• Angry
Reactions: 49
Hmm, we haven't heard much about Jack's crippling arthritis in a long time. If we mention it here in a few posts, she'll have a flare-up by the end of the week, right?

• Haha
Reactions: 59
Actually she looks very different all the time. I’m sure that’s not good for TV. You need to be identifiable.
yes, that’s what I meant. Different in each photo and also so different from the beginning of this year up to now, including the wig wearing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16
yes, that’s what I meant. Different in each photo and also so different from the beginning of this year, including the wig wearing.
I notice this as my husband is terrible at recognising people if they change their hair! Especially significantly.

Hmm, we haven't heard much about Jack's crippling arthritis in a long time. If we mention it here in a few posts, she'll have a flare-up by the end of the week, right?
How did I not notice she’s lost full use of her hands since I’ve followed her?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 33
The ‘live for today and shovel whatever tit you want into your body’ ethos is pretty appalling from someone who’s meant to be making delicious, nutritious, low budget recipes for people who are barely scraping by. I’m so sorry to hear of all of your losses, Fraus. I lost one of my best mates to the big C very recently (especially brutal in these times), he left us far too young. I can’t really say much more about it because I’m struggling massively with the grief, but my big old hairy heart goes out to you all.

Also....wtf was that bowel glue she served with the sausages?? Polenta and instant mash? Isn’t she meant to be part Irish? Ffs, buy a POTATO, woman. 🙄
I am northern Irish and I honestly never had my first taste in instant mash until I was at uni. ( It wasn't nice) we grew up poor but my mum always had potatoes and we even grew our own.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Found this in the comments under her 'ultimate lasagne' recipe. :rolleyes:

View attachment 251681

View attachment 251682

View attachment 251683
Excuses, excuses.
It's bizarre to me that her first instinct was to "check her database" and accuse the poster of not being on the (no doubt meticulously kept!) list of people who bought the book. Nobody who is actually confident that they've done their job well gets on the defensive that fast.

Jack will always fall back on blaming it on years of trolling, and I appreciate she has received some abuse, but deep down it's because she knows that her recipes are plagiarised, poorly conceived or flat out untested.

I've been this person. I see it clear as day.

• Heart
Reactions: 58
Massively speedy grunka before work (I’m BUSY). With the tooled up mice, the stuffed fox, the postman, and Brenda’s dick sausages all you Frau have really made me snort and hoot on a bit of a miserable morning. And massive hugs to those touched by the C - my boys lost their dad a couple of months ago (we were divorced but good friends) and he was only in his fifties.

Now duck off x

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 57
She really needs to work on the layout/design of her website. At the moment, each recipe is just one long rambling blog post, with no formatting whatsoever. Makes it horrible to read (as if the content wasn't bad enough). She needs to have clearly defined sections - Introduction, Ingredients, Method - and under the title a clear 'makes in'/'serves'/'difficulty level'/'cost per serving'. It would be just about passable if she was a complete novice who'd just started writing a blog as a hobby, but she's been doing this for years now and hasn't upped her game at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
I am northern Irish and I honestly never had my first taste in instant mash until I was at uni. ( It wasn't nice) we grew up poor but my mum always had potatoes and we even grew our own.
Different region, but we grew our own veg instead of flowers, as did our neighbours, when I was growing up. I remember having instant mash at Uni...it was a greyish colour and tasted overwhelmingly of pepper 🤢 Haaaang on is this where the ‘plenty of black pepper’ thing comes from? 🤔 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Found this in the comments under her 'ultimate lasagne' recipe. :rolleyes:

View attachment 251681

View attachment 251682

View attachment 251683
Excuses, excuses.
In the first of the quotes from above.....
"I take criticism as well as nice comments, what a daft thing to say"
Followed in the same paragraph by
"I'm sorry.........that you felt the need to hurt my feelings about it."

So you can't take criticism because it hurts your feelings, therefore not such a daft thing to say at all.

Either you can accept criticism in the way it is intended, to inform you when things are not up to an acceptable standard. Or you get hurt when someone gives you negative feedback. You can't have it both ways.

(I directed that to her, as we all know she is reading here.)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 64
She tweets an awful lot for someone who basically lost the use of her hands two years ago

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 71
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.