Jack Monroe #68 Take a day off mate, seriously

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Re all the lies & contradictions, jack’s Instagram is hilarious. She has posts bemoaning her crippling disability & need to use a cane with the dramatic ‘I accept this is now my life’ and others showing her achievements of walking 11 miles and a load of apps she downloaded to help with running.
People just don’t join up the dots. Or maybe don’t hate lies as much as I suspect we all do. It’s insanely blatant to see that she is a grade A bullshitter.

Attachments

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 41
IDK how many of you have read about the new Rachel Dolezal case, but there's so much appropriation going on these days, especially in digital spaces. Scotland's Jack announced she was suddenly Jewish on the day of the Squirrel Hill synagogue shooting - she's previously written about being Catholic, atheist and humanist, but after Squirrel Hill suddenly started taking selfies of herself in kippahs and making a big deal of Shabbat and so on. Jack's also built a career around pretending to be working class and poor, while doing very little to actually help the oppressed group she claims to be representing and getting financially and reputationally rewarded for it. It's interesting to me re. how long such people can go on for - and how much they can reap from it - until they're exposed. And that's my THOUGHT FOR THE DAY, thanks for coming to my ted talk x
I had no idea about all of this. I had thought that 'religious beliefs' was the one protected characteristic she didn't identify in to. I mean I know faith can be a journey, but Jewish/Catholic/Atheist is one hell of a pilgrimage.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
An academic in the US called Jessica Krug has done the same. She’s a white Jewish woman, but had been identifying as black and all her work centred around Africa and the African diaspora. She says she lied due to mental health issues.

I hate it that Jack identifies as poor Now. What it all boils down to is she had that period in her life when she was low on money and her whole ‘celebrity’ is built on that, and she can’t let it go. It’s her cheap bread and butter.

IDK how many of you have read about the new Rachel Dolezal case, but there's so much appropriation going on these days, especially in digital spaces. Scotland's Jack announced she was suddenly Jewish on the day of the Squirrel Hill synagogue shooting - she's previously written about being Catholic, atheist and humanist, but after Squirrel Hill suddenly started taking selfies of herself in kippahs and making a big deal of Shabbat and so on. Jack's also built a career around pretending to be working class and poor, while doing very little to actually help the oppressed group she claims to be representing and getting financially and reputationally rewarded for it. It's interesting to me re. how long such people can go on for - and how much they can reap from it - until they're exposed. And that's my THOUGHT FOR THE DAY, thanks for coming to my ted talk x
ETA: I realise by ‘new Rachel Dolezal case’ you meant this woman!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 36
I had no idea about all of this. I had thought that 'religious beliefs' was the one protected characteristic she didn't identify in to. I mean I know faith can be a journey, but Jewish/Catholic/Atheist is one hell of a pilgrimage.
Yeah and the thing is, these people tend to pick specific identities so that YOU look like the c*nt if you openly question them - religion, disability / health, race, class, etc, it's a minefield if you want to go 'eh?!'

• Heart
Reactions: 31
so what actually happened to the walking stick? If we keep talking about it I bet it’ll magically reappear

• Haha
Reactions: 40
Yeah and the thing is, these people tend to pick specific identities so that YOU look like the c*nt if you openly question them - religion, disability / health, race, class, etc, it's a minefield if you want to go 'eh?!'
Very much so.

so what actually happened to the walking stick? If we keep talking about it I bet it’ll magically reappear
This feeds in to exactly what @Veronicaaa said above - it feels wrong to question it. But I had noticed there's been little mention recently of the crippling arthritis that meant at times she cannot get out of bed, falls to the floor, has to drag herself around the house, needs a cane, that distorts her hands etc. I guess that at the moment it's extremely well managed and she's not having a flare up..?

• Sad
Reactions: 29
Was also having this thought. I briefly glanced over the -lengthy- statement written by the new Rachel Dolezal and she is pretty much saying 'this is my big reveal, I'm so so sorry but, I deserve no sympathy' - so why not just go away quietly? What worries me is that this confessional way of writing (which is all for attention and nothing to do with respect for the identities she has appropriated IMHO) will be a template used by others like her who may at some point see it as politically, culturally and financially useful for them to 'reveal all' as a way to stay in the public eye and gain more attention. I am struggling right now to believe that someone who has written something with apparent self-awareness has only just acquired that self-awareness. They know what they are doing - whether it is for money, attention, cultural capital or career gains.

Also - the writing has a definite potatoes vibe to it :ROFLMAO:

• Heart
She uses the standard tactic for getting a "best seller" on Amazon. List your book into a load of obscure (but not totally unrelated) categories with few books in them, and you only need to sell a handful to climb the ranks. Some categories her books fall into on Amazon:

View attachment 232727
View attachment 232729
View attachment 232730

If you google it, it's a super common scam people use to promote their crappy books as bestseller.

This. Someone demonstrated it by uploading a picture of his foot. Through careful catagorising and timing it sold three copies and became an 'Amazon Bestseller.' There's a picture of it somewhere on't web.

Not to take away from the money Mackie has made as you don't find pictures of a foot selling huge amounts in supermarkets. If this chancer gets some kind of deal from Dishoom I'm going to throw something.

EDIT: I just found the book. It's called 'Putting My Foot Down.'

• Haha
  • Heart
It still baffles the tit out of me how anyone can take her seriously after that comment about Cameron’s son.
Re all the lies & contradictions, jack’s Instagram is hilarious. She has posts bemoaning her crippling disability & need to use a cane with the dramatic ‘I accept this is now my life’ and others showing her achievements of walking 11 miles and a load of apps she downloaded to help with running.
People just don’t join up the dots. Or maybe don’t hate lies as much as I suspect we all do. It’s insanely blatant to see that she is a grade A bullshitter.
this was the first thing that really pulled me in. Lots of rhetoric about her being unable to walk around her house without pain and then talking about doing 30000 steps in a day and actively planning to walk up hills. my mums has crippling arthritis and I regularly watch her in excruciating agony (real, not faked) and the idea that she could walk 10 miles a day is laughable.

Additionally, when arthritis gets to the point of deforming joints it’s a daily battle, not something you pick and choose.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
she was still tweeting at 3:47am this morning, I wonder if she will be up in time for her 2:30pm speech at the housing conference today?

Screenshot 2020-09-04 at 10.46.23.png

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 26
Ok so I’ve never bothered with Jack (there was something about her that rubbed me the wrong way since day dot), and this is prob the only post I’ll make here, but I have to say I’m always fascinated seeing how fast these threads go by and last night I finally read the thread she graced her presence in... holy shite... I thought oh maybe she was just having really bad day or something, so I went along to her twitter.... nope she’s still got the same cunty bleep attitude there, so it’s no wonder these threads go by so fast 🤣

I really think that being in the public eye is the so not the career for her at all... she seems so mentally unstable it’s actually worrying...

• Heart
Reactions: 49
Bootstrap Jack is a tory hack and people spotted that way back in thread one. I've enjoyed reading that thread again and folks were as spot on then as they are now.
The queen of Grunka Lunking herself predicted the future all the way back in March. You really can travel through the time space continuum, I am in awe 😮😮

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 54
Do any of our copywriting/publishing fraus have access to the Nielsen data on this? It looks as if the interface is called Nielsen BookScan?

I can see if I have friends that do but I doubt it tbh. Through that we could see largely how many have sold but they’d exclude smaller retailers and her sales through her site (I’m assuming she doesn’t report to Nielsen 🤷🏻‍♀️).
Slightly out of date now (article from October 2018) but:

Screenshot_20200904-111302_Opera.jpg

Full piece: https://www.thebookseller.com/news/monroes-food-bank-inspired-book-published-bluebird-879436

Maybe there's more up to date info on there somewhere. You can click on three or four articles before you're asked to register. Clearing cookies works, obviously.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 19
Bootstrap Jack is a tory hack and people spotted that way back in thread one. I've enjoyed reading that thread again and folks were as spot on then as they are now.
The queen of Grunka Lunking herself predicted the future all the way back in March. You really can travel through the time space continuum, I am in awe 😮😮
You have 601 notifications????!!!!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 46
Slightly out of date now (article from October 2018) but:

View attachment 232760

Full piece: https://www.thebookseller.com/news/monroes-food-bank-inspired-book-published-bluebird-879436

Maybe there's more up to date info on there somewhere. You can click on three or four articles before you're asked to register. Clearing cookies works, obviously.
Seems like her first book which was through Penguin hoovered up most of the sales. I think the second was through Penguin too but the rest have been through Bluebird and of course the 'self-published' Kickstarter book also. I think people on here have said her first book is alright, or at least better than 'slinging' two tins of tomato together to make tomato soup...

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.