Jack Monroe #65 Green gages and ham

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She melts the halloumi into the sauce. Hun....how?! Maybe it's just me, but I thought halloumi famously doesn't melt.
20200829_184019.jpg

Editing to add: if it *does* melt into her sauce, did she boil it to duck, or did she fold it in, as she earlier described her weird additions to "carbonara"?

• Haha
Reactions: 48
She didn’t get much jam yield off those greengages, did she?

Trying to imagine that muck spread on some cheap wet ham and wondering what the hell’s going on in the world 😂
Don’t mention unruly labia, don’t mention unru...oh no!

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 20
She must eat funny how can her lips being sore effect her eating. I get it if she was easy spicy or tart foods but not textured.

If you eat with your mouth closed that is. I have eaten with dry lips before that have been very sore

Reactions: 6
Oh ffs ouchy mouth is back eh? Get a grip, it's hardly on a level with, say, kidney failure is it? slap on some bright red lipstick like the 'lady' doctor advised and you'll be fine and dandy.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
I swear you just add the yokes for carbonara though? It's not carbonara. It looks like dried out pasta combined with stringy cheese. Now duck off.
Yes, in a carbonara you’re totally dependent on the residual heat of the pasta /starchy water to bring together the egg yolks, bacon renderings and properly melting grated cheese to make a silken deliciousness that belies the few ingredients required. It most certainly is not “pasta and vegetables with cheesy sauce and lumps of slightly warm yet characteristically solid halloumi”.

such bollocks — she really knows nothing about food

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Someone on her insta has asked if she grated the halloumi to get it to melt. While funny, if you're reading here and going there, please desist.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
Someone on her insta has asked if she grated the halloumi to get it to melt. While funny, if you're reading here and going there, please desist.
I can't see the grating question, only the melting one which was before it was mentioned here so I don't think there is crossover here.

Reactions: 4
Made a carbonara last week in my Ninja Foodi using a recipe from an American lady. It has eggs (yolks and whites) plus a mix of parmesan and grand padana.
Also had bacon in it and I added chicken as we needed to use some up. Was yummy,

And Halloumi is wonderful stuff but not melted....much better grilled or on a BBQ

Reactions: 9
Yes, in a carbonara you’re totally dependent on the residual heat of the pasta /starchy water to bring together the egg yolks, bacon renderings and properly melting grated cheese to make a silken deliciousness that belies the few ingredients required. It most certainly is not “pasta and vegetables with cheesy sauce and lumps of slightly warm yet characteristically solid halloumi”.

such bollocks — she really knows nothing about food
I thought so, but glad a more culinary-minded frau can confirm! If I ever make carbonara (which is quite rare because it uses a lot of animal products that I do try to avoid when I can - I am not 90% vegan though and would never claim to be!) I use THAT MAN's and it's never failed me tbh.

I feel like Italian cooking should be about simple ingredients, done well. Not flinging in half the reduced aisle and attaching an Italian recipe name that vaguely resonates onto it.

Reactions: 20
It would have been easier and neater to use a peeler to get the courgette ribbons.

Carbonara is icky at the best of times (bog standard white sauce + cheese is enough for me - and it saves the eggs for a proper meal). Don't waste halloumi, either, as the whole point of it is that it doesn't melt like that. A cheaper and much nicer sauce is half a tub of Basics soft cheese.

It's hardly 20 below zero today. I've had the back door and upstairs windows open throughout the day and my only concession to the change is that I'm actually wearing a T shirt, jeans and - the defining proof it's a bit nippy compared to the rest of the summer - I'm actually wearing some socks.

Being cooler is better for inflammatory arthritis. Takes the heat out of the joints.

Ikea do big curtains. If the landlord is cool with shed demolition, they're going to be cool with sticking a twenty quid curtain and a tenner rail up above the door. If they say no (as if), use Command Hooks as they don't damage the wall, stick a net curtain rod or bamboo stick across and use a £4 IKEA fleece over it instead.

It's all rather boring, really.

ETA: the Patreon alone takes her above the earnings where UC would kick in for a single person. The 'savings' if she hasn't spunked them all over the summer, would be a secondary reason, as her income is too high before they're even looked at.

Reactions: 30
In the Scottish comic strip "the Broons", each member of the family puts a squirt of lemon juice into the boiling jam pot as they they pass, thinking it looks too runny, and in the final pic they are having their sandwiches with "a slice of jam". Perhaps Jackie's Scottish heritage coming thru...

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Her situation may have lasted "over two years" but she could have ended it at any time by asking her comfortably-off parents for help...rather than, say, guilt-tripping them for the rest of their lives by publicly whingeing about being forced to sell lightbulbs and bin-dive for Big Macs.

Also, will she be hand delivering her book to all those MPs? We all know how unreliable the Royal Mail are when it comes to Our Jackie...

It’s not a bleeping carbonara. I have italian family. Why was it ok for her to go on about the Joloff rice when it came to ‘that man’, yet she can culturally appropriate whatever she wants? (Not that I give a tit, no italian is going to accept that’s a carbonara, they’d just pass on it)
This isn't even the first time she's bastardised carbonara. In one of her books (can't recall which one) she dipped her toe into French-Italian fusion food with her "car-brie-nara" (literally carbonara with brie) and in Good Food For Bad Days she proffered "crabby Nora" (carbonara with crab) :sick:

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.