Jack Monroe #63 I tend to move in circles of cookery and politics rather than outrage and vitriol

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Mac & cheese in a mug.

From 17.58 onwards. Why would anyone do this?

Have not once, ever, seen Monroe cook anything even slightly impressive or appetising. There’s no technical knowledge or skill, no making good food look simple as this so desperately tries to be, and her presentation is awful. It always looks bland, basic and low effort. This in particular looks truly revolting.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I don't hear her as posh at all. She's got a definite regional accent though an 'educated' one. To me, posh is Cameron, Johnson, et al. Gove massively changed his accent at Oxford; he won a scholarship to my father's old school and would have ended up with a similar Scots accent to most lawyers, doctors, etc until he decided to change it.

(I sent a video of me with one of my dogs to someone last week - I was quite amused to find that after 40 years back in Scotland and 30 down south in Fife, I still have my English public school accent! 😂)
the best thing about this clip apart from the biopic worthy ‘my grandfathers dead’ moment, when the presenter clocks on that Edwina and Jack trying to shout over each other whilst a bemused Rachel Johnson and white Dee look on may not be particularly enjoyable for the audience - he cuts to a break and you hear Jack desperately try and say courageously ‘to answer your original question of what it’s like to live on benefits.......’ then it cuts to an ad break.

nobody cares Jackie..... literally nobody gives two shits or a flying duck about your fantasy life of poverty. Edwina did look a bit of a tit too, but I think she took one for the team. Thanks Eddie darling 😂😂

Have not once, ever, seen Monroe cook anything even slightly impressive or appetising. There’s no technical knowledge or skill, no making good food look simple as this so desperately tries to be, and her presentation is awful. It always looks bland, basic and low effort. This in particular looks truly revolting.
reading the recipe from the book throughout despite it being

1. Allegedly her recipe
2. As easy as making a bachelors pasta n sauce (or a chemical reaction in a sachet as my mother likes to call them 😂😂

what’s wrong with good nutritious healthy wholesome cheap food???

• Haha
Reactions: 18
It touched a nerve because he had only recently died and the info Edwina was spilling was taken from his obituary
She did exactly the same with school. “I failed grammar school” - yes but you still at the opportunity to go hun!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 30
When I was growing up, the local posho, an earl, wore paint stained overalls as he DIYed the family castle restoration....
Yeah, we’ve got one of those in our town too. Drives daughter to ballet in a clapped out Mitsubishi pick up — no blue range rovers here 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Yeah, we’ve got one of those in our town too. Drives daughter to ballet in a clapped out Mitsubishi pick up — no blue range rovers here 🤣
Often those who actually have money are the ones who look like they don’t!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Now looks like Guardian have “cancelled” her: here’s an sticker on student cooking referring to Miguel Barclay, various other instagrammers, actual students and properly sensible store cupboard tips

No mention of famed tin canner/cheap food maverick JM, no reference to the wealth of her content in their own archives — and blinking flip even the article title is a bit of a slam...

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 31
I dislike her but she was right to be angry with Edwina Currie. She did NOT come from a wealthy background, as many of you claim. To me, her accent sounds very working class/lower middle class, which fits her upbringing.
Did you not say she was your friend?

September 16, 2014-This macaroni and cheese in a mug is ready in less than 5 minutes.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Now looks like Guardian have “cancelled” her
It’s clear that even the powers that be at The Guardian have started to see through her lies. But it seems something more than that, The Guardian these days are generally prepared to see boyond contradictions for clicks. No, something happened, something bigger that we are as yet unaware of.
Well to say, it could have been the DW cringe-fest, or the JO career-sabotage but no, feeling mischievous and conspiratorial, gonna go out on a limb and say it’s something to do with the ex. Either that or she’s demanding too much money to write the same shite story over and over and over and over again.

Reactions: 15
It’s clear that even the powers that be at The Guardian have started to see through her lies. But it seems something more than that, The Guardian these days are generally prepared to see boyond contradictions for clicks. No, something happened, something bigger that we are as yet unaware of.
Well to say, it could have been the DW cringe-fest, or the JO career-sabotage but no, feeling mischievous and conspiratorial, gonna go out on a limb and say it’s something to do with the ex. Either that or she’s demanding too much money to write the same shite story over and over and over and over again.
No, it’s because she’s on sick leave from working too hard...

• Haha
Reactions: 21
.....I think we're all waiting for the answer to that.
1) What was the lingreenie?
2) Why was the lingreenie?
3) How was the lingreenie?
The salad bag pesto was also especially grim. Salad leaves on the turn finely chopped and drowned in olive oil very quickly turned into slime here. And the salmon paste pasta thing really did taste 🤢🤮 (and we love fish here). When we want a quick, easy and cheap dish, we do a massive pan of marmite pasta (think it was Nigella who came up with it?) with some random veg chucked in and a tit ton of cheddar grated on top.

Not going to comment on the Eamonn Holmes bit, as things obviously got a tad heated yesterday and I’m a peace loving chap who’s slightly confused as to wtf happened there 😬 Hope everyone stays well and happy today x

• Heart
Reactions: 30
.....I think we're all waiting for the answer to that.
1) What was the lingreenie?
2) Why was the lingreenie?
3) How was the lingreenie?
Specifically created to feed your bin

Now looks like Guardian have “cancelled” her: here’s an sticker on student cooking referring to Miguel Barclay, various other instagrammers, actual students and properly sensible store cupboard tips

No mention of famed tin canner/cheap food maverick JM, no reference to the wealth of her content in their own archives — and blinking flip even the article title is a bit of a slam...
The thing is he imparts the important information, the Bit JM always misses, start by frying your onions 🧅 And shopping

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Goodness, we took a bit of a "thread #31" turn last night, didn't we? Some very amusing shade, though, I salute the funny fraus for soldiering on in the face of utter humourlessness in return.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
Goodness, we took a bit of a "thread #31" turn last night, didn't we? Some very amusing shade, though, I salute the funny fraus for soldiering on in the face of utter humourlessness in return.

what happened? Eamonns cousin kick off?Gone now? Baffling!

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.