Jack Monroe #63 I tend to move in circles of cookery and politics rather than outrage and vitriol

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I dislike her but she was right to be angry with Edwina Currie. She did NOT come from a wealthy background, as many of you claim. To me, her accent sounds very working class/lower middle class, which fits her upbringing.
Maybe not “wealthy” but certainly very middle class and financially comfortable. Which would be absolutely fine if it wasn’t for her unnecessary Dickensian urchin nonsense, pretending to be working class.

She grew up in a five bedroom detached house, and what she neglected to mention about her fireman dad was that he worked his way up sufficiently high that he was awarded an MBE for his service! And now that he’s retired, he’s a landlord!

Edwina Currie was within her rights to bring this up. Jack could have handled it a lot better by simply being truthful. Edwina succeeded in distracting Jack and prevented her from saying anything useful, by luring her into defending her “working class” lies.

Also, her accent is certainly not working class. She sounds absolutely nothing like the average Essex resident and is downright posh at times. She reminds me of classmates at private school.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Maybe I’m being well thick but I never really understood JM using ‘my grandad is dead’ as a comeback to EC pointing out he was a landlord - although I haven’t actually seen the clip itself because she annoys me too much on camera. Firstly because being dead doesn’t mean he wasn’t a landlord when he was alive and secondly surely that makes her more likely to have inherited wealth? He isn’t pissing his takings all up the wall from beyond the grave is he?

can someone explain this plz? Where’s the logic?

• Haha
Reactions: 37
I was a Civil Servant. Where on earth did you get the idea that I worked with Sarah Vine? Also, I have apologised for the gloatfest comment.
Oh, right. So when you said ‘I’m sorry’, was it for calling these threads a ‘gloatfest’ - which you said you felt dirty and disgusting for being a part of, yet here you are tonight in full flow and seeming to enjoy the participation?

I had previously thought you were apologising for calling Silver Linings a ‘particularly nasty person’ for her fairly innocuous post about Jack’s dirty nails. Perhaps I was mistaken.

• Heart
Reactions: 61
This just came up on my fb feed and immediately thought of Jack....
Also fellow fraus there is an ignore button, I'm becoming very tempted by it.
ECFA3969-34B0-4172-A5ED-72C09337D50C.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 46
Mac & cheese in a mug.

From 17.58 onwards. Why would anyone do this?

Why wouldn't they? I have recently come out of a depressive episode where I praised God for frozen mash! Then my microwave blew up and I discovered other ways to get a fast carbohydrate hit - Ready to Wok noodles in bowl covered with boiling water and flavoured with Marmite or Maggi - sometimes with grated cheese. I had that today and it hit the spot.

Reactions: 1
Why wouldn't they? I have recently come out of a depressive episode where I praised God for frozen mash! Then my microwave blew up and I discovered other ways to get a fast carbohydrate hit - Ready to Wok noodles in bowl covered with boiling water and flavoured with Marmite or Maggi - sometimes with grated cheese. I had that today and it hit the spot.
You could drop an egg in it. Or some ham

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 50
Maybe I’m being well thick but I never really understood JM using ‘my grandad is dead’ as a comeback to EC pointing out he was a landlord - although I haven’t actually seen the clip itself because she annoys me too much on camera. Firstly because being dead doesn’t mean he wasn’t a landlord when he was alive and secondly surely that makes her more likely to have inherited wealth? He isn’t pissing his takings all up the wall from beyond the grave is he?

I think she just blurted it out as a conversation stopper to try and shut down Edwina Currie’s line of attack. Like, don’t you dare bring up the fact my grandfather owned property while I’m on this panel talking about my literal poverty! How dare you discredit my impoverished backstory! My grandfather is DEAD!

it’s also the way she said it so dramatically, with half-blazing eyes like a character in Dynasty, made me HOOT.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52

It touched a nerve because he had only recently died and the info Edwina was spilling was taken from his obituary

• Sad
Reactions: 13
  • Haha
Reactions: 13

It’s Jack logic. She’s very immature and not used to debating ideas. So when Edwina caught her on the back foot, she wasn’t able to answer and instead became angry. The “he’s dead” thing was, I think, an attempt to shut down the debate, like a stroppy teenager would.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Sorry I just had to. Legit my face at the moment.

ETA so I don’t get banned for the gif 😂 @BelfastBorn if you don’t mind me asking did you attend international/private schools? The English accent thing made me wonder? Cos tbh I think Jackie thinks she’s “common as muck” because she’s comparing her softly spoken Partridge voice to the public school set so I can see why someone who attended one could think that.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
Fraus. It's 2:15 am and I have just awoken from a dream in which Jackie was a (maverick, of course) private detective who got side tracked from solving a murder to argue about plantains (!?), while I was earnestly trying to convince everybody that she was a liar - but was invariably ignored.

She has officially well and truly infiltrated my sleeping moments now and I'm not cool with it.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
I'd like to have the time I made Jack's spicy 2 bean rice stew twice removed from my husband's memory

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Also, her accent is certainly not working class. She sounds absolutely nothing like the average Essex resident and is downright posh at times. She reminds me of classmates at private school.
I don't hear her as posh at all. She's got a definite regional accent though an 'educated' one. To me, posh is Cameron, Johnson, et al. Gove massively changed his accent at Oxford; he won a scholarship to my father's old school and would have ended up with a similar Scots accent to most lawyers, doctors, etc until he decided to change it.

(I sent a video of me with one of my dogs to someone last week - I was quite amused to find that after 40 years back in Scotland and 30 down south in Fife, I still have my English public school accent! 😂)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
I never could understand how the"Bootstrap" thing was ever validated by a reputable publisher: bootstrings or shoestrings maybe, but no-one does anything on a bootstrap.
She’s got confused between living on a shoestring, and “pulling yourself up by your bootstraps”.

Ironically, the bootstraps thing is often (but not always) a saying used by the right wing, about how vulnerable and poor people can pull themselves up with hard work.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
It’s Jack logic. She’s very immature and not used to debating ideas. So when Edwina caught her on the back foot, she wasn’t able to answer and instead became angry. The “he’s dead” thing was, I think, an attempt to shut down the debate, like a stroppy teenager would.
Exactly. She is like a perpetual victim who always has a 'health issue' to fall back on as an excuse for her behaviour. Nobody in the history of mankind has suffered as much as Jack. Nobody has had more health problems than Jack. Christ, she must have bankrupted her local NHS trust with the number of illnesses she has claimed to have had. The only genuine health issue I can reasonably see her having is an ulcer as a result of eating her own cooking.

She’s got confused between living on a shoestring, and “pulling yourself up by your bootstraps”.

Ironically, the bootstraps thing is often (but not always) a saying used by the right wing, about how vulnerable and poor people can pull themselves up with hard work.
Yes, it is very much a Thatcherite type of thinking.

Reactions: 22
I don't hear her as posh at all. She's got a definite regional accent though an 'educated' one. To me, posh is Cameron, Johnson, et al. Gove massively changed his accent at Oxford; he won a scholarship to my father's old school and would have ended up with a similar Scots accent to most lawyers, doctors, etc until he decided to change it.

(I sent a video of me with one of my dogs to someone last week - I was quite amused to find that after 40 years back in Scotland and 30 down south in Fife, I still have my English public school accent! 😂)
Oh yes she’s definitely not as posh as the upper class. (As an aside, I find the politician posh voice to be so posh it’s almost contrived. It’s absolutely grating on the ears. Rachel Johnson doesn’t speak like that so it must be learned in Westminster)

Jack just sounds very middle class which is posh by some definitions!

I hear actual poshness in some of her sounds, like her d, t, and j, ch, and sh noises. The last three remind me of how the actors say “villitch”(village) on Midsomer Murders. And for the first, the way she says “and” for example is like “anddt”. I have never heard anyone not posh say it like that.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I love @Bookweevil ‘s description of his impassive face during Jack’s lingreenie section : ‘a magnificent, appalled Easter Island statue’
I was at a garden centre last weekend and burst out laughing when I saw some Easter/Eamonn Island statues :ROFLMAO:

I’m sure struggling parents would also really appreciate if she finished her list of cheap lunch ideas too, you know, before September
Oh she'll have finished it before September*, no doubt about it!

*year not specified

If she ruins tea, I will be so cross. Just leave it off. Also I taught my seven year old to make tea during lockdown,( with parental guidance of course) it's not bleeping rocket science.
It wouldn't just be tea with Jack though - she'd try and incorporate it into a recipe. Maybe she'd make try and make Yorkshire Tea Yorkshire Puddings.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Oh yes she’s definitely not as posh as the upper class. (As an aside, I find the politician posh voice to be so posh it’s almost contrived. It’s absolutely grating on the ears. Rachel Johnson doesn’t speak like that so it must be learned in Westminster)

Jack just sounds very middle class which is posh by some definitions!

I hear actual poshness in some of her sounds, like her d, t, and j, ch, and sh noises. The last three remind me of how the actors say “villitch”(village) on Midsomer Murders. And for the first, the way she says “and” for example is like “anddt”. I have never heard anyone not posh say it like that.
Technically, by the old social scale, Cameron would be considered upper middle while his missus is upper class, being born to titled parents and having a family seat! Upper middle class, like Cameron and Johnson, does tend to be a bit more exaggerated; have a listen to recordings of upper class Diana Spencer and compare. Upper middle and above does public school, lower middle does private or grammar if they can afford it, the middle middle do public or private depending on funds, and the rest of us muddle along with state!

The posher you are, the less you buy things like furniture (or even clothes) as you inherit it. Millionaire Heseltine was damned at the posher end of the Tory Party as 'the sort of man who had to buy his own furniture' so all Jack's Shack contents don't give her any more social standing. When I was growing up, the local posho, an earl, wore paint stained overalls as he DIYed the family castle restoration....

Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.