Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

MurielSnark

VIP Member
Gah it's paywalled for me! Sounds interesting though. And this wasn't self published content, she had that whole editorial team. Even if they weren't chefs, the wrongness of the recipes is obvious even to the untrained eye.
Looks like the FT have stuck it behind their paywall sometime later today. Bastards.

Reactions: 16

MurielSnark

VIP Member
She's never shown any desire to actually improve or learn, any further than copying a bunch of stuff into a notebook from printouts of the internet with a pokey-out tongue. The most obvious thing would be to do some kind of proper qualification in nutrition, but that might highlight the calorie and nutrient-deficient nonsense of her recipes...
Precisely so.

Disclaimer: I'm a full-on girly swot and I also stick my tongue out when concentrating. I used to get teased about it a lot.

• Heart

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
Thanks for the responses to my questioning of JM’s permanent exhaustion. I would respond individually but I’m too exhausted.
She means tired of it, as in fed up.
---
Well, quite.
View attachment 2971172

Sorry for the slop posting @kachoochoo here’s Pretty Jack here to make amends with some pretty flowers
View attachment 2971176
And here’s some gold glitter spray to make your dad laugh ❤View attachment 2971178
---
View attachment 2971180
That is in fact the face of a woman who’s just told JOB that her brother has to worry about his RAF friends “jacking off” to her picture in the paper.
Her fooking face configurations is like algebra.

Last edited:
  • Haha

YerDa

VIP Member
Oh I forgot about the cordon bleu books too! My auntie has most/ maybe all of them so they're another much loved childhood memory ruined by guest.

View attachment 2963417

View attachment 2963419

how weird to describe Harold's dad as "two of my friends" too

My aunt also has a book from the 70s which includes a whole section on fish and fruit. Trout with bananas, anyone? It's genuinely in there. guest better not steal that idea
Thai prawn and pomelo salad is one of my favourite things. Sole Veronique is ok if a bit meh. But I’m sorry Auntie RageyN, trout and banana is allll of the wrong.

• Haha
  • Heart

Mr Krabs

VIP Member
Speaking of festivals, the Edinburgh book festival has binned Baillie Gifford as a sponsor. If guest isn't appearing there, guaranteed she will say it's because of her... principals 😂
Wasn’t Jack on the Baillie Gifford stage at the Hay?

I have seen quite a few authors/shit comedians sacking off festivals for various reasons. Wonder if any organisers will get desperate enough to bring her in as a back up.

• Haha

hoopdedoo

VIP Member
Mick also gets around a lot better, even though at his age he must have way more ouchies than guest.

• Haha

Hollaaa

VIP Member
The bit about the chef that submitted their manuscript with the hyperlinks they had c&p'd still attached sounds like Jack. I remember someone saying she had to redo her first manuscript because it was all recipes stolen from BBC good food guide
Didn’t we spot that Jack had done that in a draft she was submitting with aff links from the disappearing blog still in situ?

• Haha

MurielSnark

VIP Member
Just watched the first episode of this new BBC1 drama. It's all about adoption and there's a scene about 45 mins in where a foster parent (played by the always excellent Sharon D. Clarke) talks about "feral" children.

I'd much rather have fictional Sharon D as my foster parent that real Big Chocolate, based on that bit of dialogue alone.

VeniVidiVicki

VIP Member
I've actually read parts of the 1st one as research for something. It's a classic of the 1930s "useful idiot" genre, written by some wide-eyed do gooder (think George Bernard Shaw) marvelling at the Soviet miracle, or at least the bits they were shown. Worthless.

The second is a less good version of "The Making of the English Working Class"
Can’t beat EP

• Heart
Reactions: 15

TheMiceInTheShed

VIP Member
I love a good recipe book - I see them more as curation and inspiration rather than a step by step guide. Mr Beacon tends to spend his saturday morning balls deep in Nigella or Diana Henry picking a lovely recipe to cook for us before he heads off to the posh wanker farm shop for supplies. But they have to be beautifully written and photographed with mouthwatering pics, and the recipes have to work as they're a bit of a splurge/treat for us.

There's no point buying a book for weekday meals, budget cooking tips or to learn a specific technique - all of that is online. I did still buy the Bored of Lunch slow cooker cookbook and Poppy's air fryer one, as I like their recipes and wanted them in one place. But I agree that the days of cheap shit like Grifty Kitchen are numbered.
A good basic cookbook to actually learn from is Delia (obvs) but also That Man's "Ministry of Food"*. It's worth getting from the library - I'd only buy it if you are definitely going to use it almost every day

*It's fecking pricey though, at 25 quid. I got mine (almost new condition) for 30p from our local library which accepts book donations from the public and resells them for 30p/book or 4 for a £1, money to go to library funds. I buy and re-donate most books, but the occasional one, I keep.
---
Firkle was already a word in modern-day use as well, let’s not forget that guest decided not to trouble herself about that though. Or maybe (shock horror) she didn’t do some basic due diligence and check whether the word she’d proudly invented actually existed.
---

I’m sorry MaveyB, this was as far as I read.
Sit yourself down, @YerDa - I'll get the smelling salts and the gin bottle.

• Haha

FrumpyCat

VIP Member
Just because people who know what they're doing (Shakespeare, Chaucer) can invent words, it doesn't mean that you can, Jack.

Any more than other people being able to cook tasty, nutritious meals means that you can.
Didn't Jack either claim to invent, or have it attributed to her by some slackarsed journalist, Twunt.?

TheCat'sMother

Chatty Member
It’s shallow and catty AF but I genuinely think this may be the worst ‘do and colour combination she’s ever had and there have been some absolute shockers over the years.
View attachment 2974018
It looks like she’s nicked a wig in a shade called autumnal wheat off some fella in Idaho who’s a local news anchor on a Republican-leaning tv channel. Dire.
And I think her haircut came courtesy of Rishi Sunak's Comms team :rolleyes:

• Haha