Jack Monroe #573 Close your Patreon, you thieving liar

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What I don't get us how she thought she was going to do it? It's clear from the book sales from home chaos that she can't use a simple spreadsheet let alone a more complicated one that the VBI would require. Her naivety is almost childlike, she had an idea, got some attention for it, realised the grift potential and ran with it. With absolutely no f*cking idea how to actually do it. It feels like she very emotionally stunted, a bit like Trump is, stuck in toddler mode.
Thing is it's like the patreon - she sets out a plan that involves working harder not smarter, in fact, the plan that requires the most work for the least reward, because a) maverick little wild kernel adhd head and b) she thinks she gets more money when people see her as a hard worker doing 200 hour weeks. and there's enough idiots out there who do buy into that crap. And once she's started something she is entirely incapable of changing her plans, again chaos blah blah mad little head blah blah

just as she could run a patreon on one recipe card sent by email a week, a discord and a livestream every month, she could produce a document/ essay/ whatever demonstrating the ways that many essential things are more expensive when you're poor ( the entire point) , and demonstrating a couple of examples in detail to show that the trend is for this to get worse, not better. Not the work of a weekend, but perfectly possible for one person to research and complete over a few months.

And then if it proved popular or useful, maybe securing funding to update it quarterly, or partner with one of those poor deluded souls at price comparison websites that offered to help, to keep some kind of eye on trends in featured blog posts every month or so, or any other number of ways this work could develop.

But just like with the Squig who actually offered to help fulfil her patreon, she ignored all sensible offers of help, didn't she.

STill onward and upward, there's furniture to move around, fennel to stew, selfies to filter. busy busy busy

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 55
Pretty sure you can be chucked out of anything if you're a head. Except prison, maybe.

• Haha
Reactions: 41
That’s the thing with the VBI. All she had to do was come out and say “sorry paypigs, it’s too much for one person” and that would have been the end of it.

Reactions: 63
What I don't get us how she thought she was going to do it? It's clear from the book sales from home chaos that she can't use a simple spreadsheet let alone a more complicated one that the VBI would require. Her naivety is almost childlike, she had an idea, got some attention for it, realised the grift potential and ran with it. With absolutely no f*cking idea how to actually do it. It feels like she very emotionally stunted, a bit like Trump is, stuck in toddler mode.
I would say It’s not naivety it's arrogance. She's been spoiled and indulged her whole life so she thinks she's the best of everything and therefore can do anything. It was on show at the time she started waffling on about the VBI. Economists, academics and FT journalists tried to point out was she was spouting was wrong and she tried to out argue them. Pure narcissism.

• Heart
Reactions: 67
Yeah I think she cottoned on quickly that there could be an earner in it with the VBI. I'm not sure if she outright thought at the start 'I'm going to pretend to do this thing and just take the money', but definitely she realised very quickly 'I can get money for this', and that was her leading thought. Rather than - is this needed, can I deliver this, how will I achieve it etc. No she swiftly made sure people knew how to pay her, before considering any of those things.
That’ll do, you lot.
She’ll DO IT when she gets back from the school run.

• Haha
Reactions: 42
Knowing her she woukd be the one that would get evicted from prison. The guards would be ready for the hills, if she had to do a stretch. I mean hardened criminals are one thing, she would just drive ya barmy!

• Haha
Reactions: 23
I don't think she originally intended it to be a scam. She has such a gross overestimation of her own abilities that I think she genuinely believed she could make such a thing happen just by saying so. But then she discovered it was more work than saying "food=more expensive" but she'd got the publicity and money at that point so just... pretended it was still happening for a bit until enough time had passed she could ignore it. I suspect the same is true of the Patreon.

Of course, most people in such a position would either ask for help or apologise and change course (e.g. we've said so many times that she could and should have done a Patreon that provided digital content), but Jack has no humility, no work ethic, no concept of saying 'I was wrong' and an addiction to spending money because she feels she deserves to be rich and famous with the lifestyle she imagines that entails.
she genuinely believed she could make such a thing happen just by saying so.

"If you have faith even the size of mustard seed* . . . all things are possible"

*Or a pomegranate seed, or a nasturtium seed, or whatever - all seeds are interchangeable, tenderstems. You should know that by now.

Edit to embolden

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 28
Thing is it's like the patreon - she sets out a plan that involves working harder not smarter, in fact, the plan that requires the most work for the least reward, because a) maverick little wild kernel adhd head and b) she thinks she gets more money when people see her as a hard worker doing 200 hour weeks. and there's enough idiots out there who do buy into that crap. And once she's started something she is entirely incapable of changing her plans, again chaos blah blah mad little head blah blah

just as she could run a patreon on one recipe card sent by email a week, a discord and a livestream every month, she could produce a document/ essay/ whatever demonstrating the ways that many essential things are more expensive when you're poor ( the entire point) , and demonstrating a couple of examples in detail to show that the trend is for this to get worse, not better. Not the work of a weekend, but perfectly possible for one person to research and complete over a few months.

And then if it proved popular or useful, maybe securing funding to update it quarterly, or partner with one of those poor deluded souls at price comparison websites that offered to help, to keep some kind of eye on trends in featured blog posts every month or so, or any other number of ways this work could develop.

But just like with the Squig who actually offered to help fulfil her patreon, she ignored all sensible offers of help, didn't she.

STill onward and upward, there's furniture to move around, fennel to stew, selfies to filter. busy busy busy
Recipe:
Random pasta or rice
“Protein” (canned fish)
Every vegetable under the sun, particularly the rotten ones from the back of the fridge
Mixed herbs (BBE 2010)
Radiator mushrooms
Bollock sausages

x500

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 34
I would say It’s not naivety it's arrogance. She's been spoiled and indulged her whole life so she thinks she's the best of everything and therefore can do anything. It was on show at the time she started waffling on about the VBI. Economists, academics and FT journalists tried to point out was she was spouting was wrong and she tried to out argue them. Pure narcissism.
I can’t believe the sheer arrogance of her to genuinely believe she knew better than professionals that spent most of their lives studying their field.

Reactions: 41
Catching up so apologies if it’s already been posted but she’s deleted tweets again. The last one on her timeline is about the number crunching, so the cat photos and recent slop photos are gone. I really can’t understand why she’s doing this? I know deleting posts is nothing new for her but i can’t recall her doing it so often like this 🤔

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 47
I can’t believe the sheer arrogance of her to genuinely believe she knew better than professionals that spent most of their lives studying their field.
Narcissists never see their arrogance as a failing. She's never wrong, just confused and/or collapsing of her various ouchies 😔

Reactions: 38
Catching up so apologies if it’s already been posted but she’s deleted tweets again. The last one on her timeline is about the number crunching, so the cat photos and recent slop photos are gone. I really can’t understand why she’s doing this? I know deleting posts is nothing new for her but i can’t recall her doing it so often like this 🤔
She liked the reply and then deleted it all.

1715448661124.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 51
I have a friend who has a half sister who is always tapping their dad up for money as she is so chaotic with money.
What the half sister doesn’t know is every time her dad bails her out he logs the amount with his solicitor. When he dies all that money will be taken off her inheritance to keep it fair to her siblings.
Imagine if that happened to Jack.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 69
She liked the reply and then deleted it all.

View attachment 2929437
She could’ve been on a bender while creating that concoction. Why else would you make a vat of it and then rant on about portion size and appetite in such a cringe way. Maybe, just maybe she had a rare moment of self-awareness and realised she looks unhinged or else someone told her to delete it. Adrian?

• Haha

Exactly.

It goes beyond mere performance - it's waste.

In the case of the VBI, it was waste of the surge of goodwill, waste of Pratchett's name, waste of all of the offers of help and support, waste of the media spotlight. And, most of all, waste of the opportunity - taking up space that could have been given to someone who would actually make us of it.

Instead, she begged for donations, fucked around with her moleskine notebooks, and then announced that hey ho, prices have halved at Asda!

She does this again and again and again - there's a blaze of publicity, she squats on the idea, nothing useful comes of it, and she walks off with the cash.

Her real skill is making it look innocent, as if there's some plausible explanation for what happened. But all of her supposed duck-ups end up with a load of money in her bank account. It's not misfortune - it's calculation.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 65
I have a friend who has a half sister who is always tapping their dad up for money as she is so chaotic with money.
What the half sister doesn’t know is every time her dad bails her out he logs the amount with his solicitor. When he dies all that money will be taken off her inheritance to keep it fair to her siblings.
Imagine if that happened to Jack.
She'd likely owe 000s to the estate . . .

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.