Jack Monroe #548 Recipes that come with a side of electrocution and burnt down house for pudding

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can I just add that I'm really offended that someone who is so terrible at both writing and food is somehow a professional (allegedly) FOOD WRITER.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
What made me suspect a shopping addiction long ago was that even as a young single woman, she couldn’t live on £27k which was a decent salary back then. She was renting the executive flat, whatever the hell that means, which would have been pricey but doable. But she also had shifts in the nightclub and cafe and did 60 hour weeks. Clearly she needed a lot of cash to live on.

I also think this is why she thinks she’s the most poviest pov of all and worse off than literally everyone. Because she had to live within her means for a while and couldn’t go out and spunk money which is her coping mechanism.
BiB - this is incredibly obvious when you see the advert for her "I'm selling everything I own" sale - several different brands of crockery etc, I HAD A CHESTERFIELD FOR GOD'S SAKE etc etc etc. She must have spent every penny that came her way without ever imagining that a steady stream of money wouldn't be there. There's no other explanation that makes sense from her leaving the fire service in the autumn of ?2011 and being THRUST INTO THE ETERNAL DARKNESS OF POV just a couple of months later.

I wonder if her parents were despairing of her spending rather than saving anything - they do like their spenny things (watches, motorbikes) but also they strike me as people who think about money and investments, hence the property portfolio. I guess she assumed that they'd bail her out and she'd get a nice inheritance from Grandpa.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
BiB - this is incredibly obvious when you see the advert for her "I'm selling everything I own" sale - several different brands of crockery etc, I HAD A CHESTERFIELD FOR GOD'S SAKE etc etc etc. She must have spent every penny that came her way without ever imagining that a steady stream of money wouldn't be there. There's no other explanation that makes sense from her leaving the fire service in the autumn of ?2011 and being THRUST INTO THE ETERNAL DARKNESS OF POV just a couple of months later.
It’s an awful combination, being entitled and simultaneously thick as duck with a ton of short sightedness thrown in on top and I don’t mean she needs glasses.

• Haha
Reactions: 40
That doesn't take into account the time used by the fire brigade coming to your house, and the repairs to your kitchen.
Neil Shaw needs to outline how exactly 32hours equates to the 77quid figure (or whatever) in the press release he keeps rechurning out to earn his salary. Bloody charlatans everywhere.
---
It’s an awful combination, being entitled and simultaneously thick as duck with a ton of short sightedness thrown in on top and I don’t mean she needs glasses.
There is clearly something wrong with her vision though if she thinks pOrtRaIT MoDE does her any favours.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Neil Shaw needs to outline how exactly 32hours equates to the 77quid figure (or whatever) in the press release he keeps rechurning out to earn his salary. Bloody charlatans everywhere.
I probably only spend a max of 8 hours a week cooking so wtf is everyone doing that they can save 8 hrs?
---
---

There is clearly something wrong with her vision though if she thinks pOrtRaIT MoDE does her any favours.
I think it’s more a visual processing disorder as we know she wears glasses 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I do love my pressure/slow cooker combi, which in combination with my Bored of Lunch slow cooker book is 👌 (which I spite bought when Grifty Kitchen landed because of all the lovely Fraus raving about it, and it did not disappoint although [tw calorie counting] I am slightly sceptical of his low calorie count claims for some dishes, and think he underestimates, based on when I've put the exact recipe and amounts into MyFitnessPal when I've been doing a calorie deficit, but hey, it's a better problem than Jack's Dickensian portioning. It's not by a huge amount and nothing to fret over, it just narks me. . I would say it saves me time when I can just bung everything in it and then leave it and often get two meals worth out of minimal prep and not having to stand over a stove. Also reduces the mental load for my ND brain versus a multi-step all-in-one-go meal. But it's not that much of a time saver.

Reactions: 25
I probably only spend a max of 8 hours a week cooking so wtf is everyone doing that they can save 8 hrs?
Just out of interest, what is 3/4hr x 7 days?! Ffs, some of this shite that journos are throwing out is just nonsensical. Even with AI assisting in the editing.
---
Just out of interest, what is 3/4hr x 7 days?! Ffs, some of this shite that journos are throwing out is just nonsensical. Even with AI assisting in the editing.
I feel like sending him a bleeping calculator.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Can I just add that I'm really offended that someone who is so terrible at both writing and food is somehow a professional (allegedly) FOOD WRITER.
Always think this betrays a lack of suitable wording to describe what she does. Author? Hmm. Journalist? Nah. She produces words associated with food occasionally.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
---

I feel like sending him a bleeping calculator.
I looked back at what I wrote and 8 hours of cooking would be a very bad week for me. I’ve totally overestimated there. Unless it’s a week of jacket potatoes that refuse to go softer, I imagine 5hrs of cooking is a fairly generous guess. Everything I cook is done the fastest way possible!

• Heart
Reactions: 20
With the tit boots and edgy hair, I’ve just realised she looks like Panzee from the Zingzillas.

View attachment 2530791

This was taken just before Panzee pawned her guitar and turned to sex work.
Christ alive the Zingzillas! Yet another memory I had locked down in the basement of my mind alongside Roly Poly Oly and the Wiggles.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
I remember hearing someone say, in response to one of those "poor people shouldn't spend money on big TVs" articles in the press, that (a) a TV is a massive source of entertainment and education for all members of a family and (b) it's a relatively affordable expense for just about everyone as the unit price of electronics has dropped, relative to incomes.
A big telly is, to borrow a phrase from those higher up the economic pyramid, "an investment." Not in money terms, because televisions lose value fast, but as you said entertainment and education. Once you've bought that TV it's yours until it breaks and you can use it regardless of weather, illness, or whether you're a bit short that week. A nice television has somehow become the go-to for "poor people spending frivolously" when it's actually delivering a lot for the price.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Every time I see that horrible jobs board, with the zillions of handwritten tags, I think of the frau (sorry, it has slipped my mind who it is) who told the lovely story about scraping together just enough money to take their kids for a walk by the seaside and a hot chocolate afterwards. And how the kids still talk about that as one of the best days they ever had together. Guest just doesn't get what good parenting is.
That might have been me, apologies if it was someone else but I have talked about something very similar in the far distant past. And it was a lovely day out!

• Heart
Reactions: 34
It would also give Jack one up on SB's dad if she were throwing expensive stuff around for him, which would entirely fit with her character as we know it.

She's all about appearances so it makes sense that she'd spend silly money on branded clothes and tech for him, rather than taking him away on holiday or giving him experiences that would enrich his life in other ways.
Typical Narc parent. They have to out do the other parent, especially if separated.
The poor kid will almost certainly be given all gifts in front of an audience and would have to show extreme gratitude or face hell. (I speak from experience)
Personally I think this shows most in the twatty photo she posted in his tshirt that time.
Again, speaking from experience, I can almost guarantee that the following happened.
She 'gifted' the tshirt in front of others to 'prove' what a generous mother she is. The tshirt was imo very babyish for an 11/12 yo and he would've turned his nose up. Jack will have kicked off into a full scorned Narc tantrum. That's when she put it on and did those cringey photos to prove how cool she was and tried to shame the kid. She didn't get the Narc supply of adoration from the boy and whoever was there to witness it so she put it on SM for the sycophantic adoration she knew she'd get.
Poor little boy.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
Always think this betrays a lack of suitable wording to describe what she does. Author? Hmm. Journalist? Nah. She produces words associated with food occasionally.
Remember when she threatened to sue the Express for calling her a celebrity chef?

IMG_5695.jpeg

It’s only OK to call her that if you’re paying her for a ‘talk’.

IMG_5694.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 56
I'm on board with the shopping addiction theory.

Probably started in school trying to keep up with the richer girls and was made worse by living with Leggy and experiencing how the other half live.

The problem is that things won't fill the void inside.
I am in a lot of debt due to overspending. The strange thing is the less money I had, the more I spent, so I racked up a lot of debt. Now I'm ok (but still boil soap for shower gel and use solar lights inside .... send cashos to my paypal please) and the urge to spend is just gone. When I was skint i overcompensated and used spending to boost my self esteem. I bought stuff for my house and for my kids so that I could feel like I was doing a good job and being a good parent. Now I obviously have the debt but also have a good income so I'm paying it off slowly, but I also dont have the need to spend for emotional reasons. It's strange. Just felt the urge to share that.
I meant to add wrt guest, it also explains the "problem drinking" - her excuse for buying the sideboards was she was pissarse drunk when she did it . Imo she got drunk because she wanted to be able to say "it wasn't my fault I bought these things".

I know what you mean. I have some credit card debt that's realistically gonna take a while to pay off and I know how that can nag at you. Mine is due partly to being freelance & therefore having unpredictable pay and tax, but also to going "lol treat urself" several too many times. I'm working on not doing that and on selling off some stuff too.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Oh I’m really interested in which recipes you think Nadiya’s ripped off @CabalofBolorneaise!? I’ve found her refreshingly pretty original in whatever I’ve seen her produce. I’d be disappointed if she’s “doing a guest” and just tweaking Good Food recipes 😭
I'm not a fan of her recipes, some if them are frankly bizarre and she also has a thing about using unusual ingredients to be quirky. She had a recipe for coleslaw made with baked bean juice that made me think of jack. My friend made it, and even the mention of it now over a year later makes her retch.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 34
Ok i am convinced there must a shop somewhere that purely sells ' uglycrapforsuckers' where does she find some of these clothes. I wouldnt even throw them on the immersion if it was freezing, as my mum used to say.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I'm not a fan of her recipes, some if them are frankly bizarre and she also has a thing about using unusual ingredients to be quirky. She had a recipe for coleslaw made with baked bean juice that made me think of jack. My friend made it, and even the mention of it now over a year later makes her retch.
Oh lord, that sounds dire! 😬

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.