Jack Monroe #548 Recipes that come with a side of electrocution and burnt down house for pudding

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm on board with the shopping addiction theory.

Probably started in school trying to keep up with the richer girls and was made worse by living with Leggy and experiencing how the other half live.

The problem is that things won't fill the void inside.
I am in a lot of debt due to overspending. The strange thing is the less money I had, the more I spent, so I racked up a lot of debt. Now I'm ok (but still boil soap for shower gel and use solar lights inside .... send cashos to my paypal please) and the urge to spend is just gone. When I was skint i overcompensated and used spending to boost my self esteem. I bought stuff for my house and for my kids so that I could feel like I was doing a good job and being a good parent. Now I obviously have the debt but also have a good income so I'm paying it off slowly, but I also dont have the need to spend for emotional reasons. It's strange. Just felt the urge to share that.

• Heart
Reactions: 78
Totally agree on getting one over on his dad, I can easily imagine SB realising he can play her as well “Dad said I can’t have the new FIFA it’s too expensive and it’s the same as last year” and Jack instantly taking the chance to buy it just because his dad said he couldn’t have it.

And sad as it is, all the consoles and games and tech would keep him occupied while she spent her time arguing on Twitter.
Yup. And kids are smart -- if he thinks he can manipulate his parents, he'll be giving it a go. Neither Jack nor her ex strike me as having enough emotional intelligence to see that behaviour in their kid and deal with it in a way that's helpful to him as he grows up.

ETA: I find it very hard not to be judgy about parents who spend fortunes on expensive clothes for toddlers etc but then save nothing for their education. Friends of mine are in that situation right now. Have every device invented and £100 trainers for all kids but haven't put anything aside for higher education and now the kids are being strongly disincentivised to not go to uni because they'll have to have full debt. I know it's complicated but I can't help myself feeling quite critical about it all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 40
I am inclined to agree. She’s (inadvertently) revealed over the years that SB is also in possession of some very expensive clothing, toys and games consoles. I suspect a lot of those came from Jack and she is just trying to enhance the pov cosplay and get sympathy donations by claiming she buys him a few beans - as well as not admitting what she does buy him because “SB and his new PlayStation 5, full Liverpool home kit plus goalkeepers shirt and massive Lego set”* screams “this was expensive” in a much more obvious way than sideboards appearing in the background does to a casual viewer.

*All stuff she’s revealed he has over the years, albeit maybe not in one go
If it has come from guest, it’s never going to recompense for the bloody horrible way she portrays him in public in her own words over and over. Nice gear, terrible mother.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
She’s nearly 36 and has probably has had well over a million quid trickle through her fingers over the last 10 years. And she has duck all to show for it. She’s still stuck in 2012.

Compare and contrast with Nadiya Hussain who won Bake Off in 2015 and since then has built a massive foodie career and is now on her 6th solo tv show, has written seven successful books, including a children’s book, a novel and an autobiography. She baked the queen’s 90th birthday cake, has a monthly column in the Sunday Times and has got a range of spice mixes and bakeware products. Oh and she has mental health issues which she’s spoken about openly in a bid to help other people and destigmatise mental health. Nadiya is 38.

I haven’t seen this new series but frugal cooking that tastes fabulous sounds great. Not all up in guest’s niche as guest hasn’t made anything delicious in her whole life.

6F812650-21FA-42B5-B5EB-ED7BFBD3CB05.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 62
She’s nearly 36 and has probably has had well over a million quid trickle through her fingers over the last 10 years. And she has duck all to show for it. She’s still stuck in 2012.

Compare and contrast with Nadiya Hussain who won Bake Off in 2015 and since then has built a massive foodie career and is now on her 6th solo tv show, has written seven successful books, including a children’s book, a novel and an autobiography. She baked the queen’s 90th birthday cake, has a monthly column in the Sunday Times and has got a range of spice mixes and bakeware products. Oh and she has mental health issues which she’s spoken about openly in a bid to help other people and destigmatise mental health. Nadiya is 38.

I haven’t seen this new series but frugal cooking that tastes fabulous sounds great. Not all up in guest’s niche as guest hasn’t made anything delicious in her whole life.

View attachment 2531281
Just four years since guest glommed on to the lovely Nadiya. Never seen together in public since, which goes to show that Nadiya is a beacon of common sense.

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49

Probably started in school trying to keep up with the richer girls and was made worse by living with Leggy and experiencing how the other half live.

I am in a lot of debt due to overspending. The strange thing is the less money I had, the more I spent, so I racked up a lot of debt. Now I'm ok (but still boil soap for shower gel and use solar lights inside .... send cashos to my paypal please) and the urge to spend is just gone. When I was skint i overcompensated and used spending to boost my self esteem. I bought stuff for my house and for my kids so that I could feel like I was doing a good job and being a good parent. Now I obviously have the debt but also have a good income so I'm paying it off slowly, but I also dont have the need to spend for emotional reasons. It's strange. Just felt the urge to share that.
Frau from around that area here and believe me she would have been one of the “richer” girls. I know she makes out like that school was the UK equivalent of Constance Billard but honestly, it’s very easy to get into if you pass the 11+.

• Haha
Reactions: 53

And then imagine the credit available to her as a young single woman with a good salary. Spend, spend, spend until the cards are maxed up and she's out of a job

Reactions: 37

View attachment 2531281
I'm a huge Nadiya fan and have watched all her series. Some of her recipes are somewhat questionable mashups of cuisines IMHO -- her recent dhansak cottage pie looked amazing until she added eggs to the topping, for example. But she's a pro and comes across as totally engaging and delightful. I remember when #NadiyasEyebrows was trending on Twitter during Bake Off -- she had the audience supporting her the whole way thru. She deserves her success now.

Her new series is about using key spices so Jack deffo won't be watching that.

• Haha
Reactions: 41
If it has come from guest, it’s never going to recompense for the bloody horrible way she portrays him in public in her own words over and over. Nice gear, terrible mother.
Totally agreed, it won’t. She’s a Disney parent, but the shine will come off if it hasn’t already and SB will see through her (and brutally - likely also through his father who has enabled Jack in that endeavour for pretty much his entire life).
---
I'm a huge Nadiya fan and have watched all her series. Some of her recipes are somewhat questionable mashups of cuisines IMHO -- her recent dhansak cottage pie looked amazing until she added eggs to the topping, for example. But she's a pro and comes across as totally engaging and delightful. I remember when #NadiyasEyebrows was trending on Twitter during Bake Off -- she had the audience supporting her the whole way thru. She deserves her success now.

Her new series is about using key spices so Jack deffo won't be watching that.
Some of her recipes also bear a striking resemblance to other chefs work/stuff on good food (without acknowledgement).

I know for some things there’s only really a limited amount you can develop them without going to odd extremes that just don’t work to differentiate (the eggs perhaps an example) but that’s never been considered an excuse for Jack and I don’t think the line on that should be different just because someone else is more personable while they do it - if it’s plagiarism when Jack does it, it’s plagiarism when Nadiya and others do it even if they’re much better at presenting it.

Nadiya is far more suited to a TV show to show said recipes off though.

Reactions: 25
Whenever someone points out on Twitter that she owns something spenny Jack goes on the defensive about being allowed to buy nice things. And she is! There would nothing wrong with having shot to fame because you were temporarily poor and then building yourself a proper career from it and earning a good income. The problem is that she owns all this stuff while simultaneously claiming to be so incredibly poor, without two bars of boiled soap to rub together. Well it's possible if there's a spending addiction and she just can't keep hold of money, but that evokes less sympathy than her agent stealing her royalties and newspapers never paying the promised fees, so she could never admit to a problem like that. That and being poor is her USP that she's never managed (or tried) to move beyond, especially with the regular tin-rattles accompanied by tales of solar lighting set-ups.

In a way it's quite sad that she's stuck having to continually elevenerife her own year or so of poverty, but it's also making her a good bit of money from people who think she's worse off than they are so they should send her their heating allowance. 😟

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 46
It would also give Jack one up on SB's dad if she were throwing expensive stuff around for him, which would entirely fit with her character as we know it.

She's all about appearances so it makes sense that she'd spend silly money on branded clothes and tech for him, rather than taking him away on holiday or giving him experiences that would enrich his life in other ways.
BIB: IME working class folk (I would never call myself WC, as I grew up in a comfortable household, and always had family to fall back on in emergencies, but I brought my kids up on a council estate as a single parent relying on benefits/low paid part time work) are proud of how much they spend on their kids. Whether it's the piles of Christmas presents or the branded clothes or the holidays or trips to Alton Towers of Legoland. Her idea of being poor is from the 70/80s, before the internet, before cheap credit, cheap flights, or B&M. And I think that's why she makes a big show of not spending on her son - that's her idea of what poor is, because she's never actually lived it.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 48
BIB: IME working class folk (I would never call myself WC, as I grew up in a comfortable household, and always had family to fall back on in emergencies, but I brought my kids up on a council estate as a single parent relying on benefits/low paid part time work) are proud of how much they spend on their kids. Whether it's the piles of Christmas presents or the branded clothes or the holidays or trips to Alton Towers of Legoland. Her idea of being poor is from the 70/80s, before the internet, before cheap credit, cheap flights, or B&M. And I think that's why she makes a big show of not spending on her son - that's her idea of what poor is, because she's never actually lived it.
I hear your point Naboo. The class thing is so tricky, though, isn't it?

Cos, I also know that having your kids look trendy in the latest gear might be about them fitting in and being able to hold their own among their peers and many families live month to month so treat themselves with consumer goods when they can and don't save much.

I AM a judgemental cow, I can't help it. And I have ingrained class prejudices too, which I try to confront in myself.

The bottom line, though, is that the vast majority of parents are working hard for their earnings and they can spend it how they like. And Jack has built her entire so-called career on lies and misrepresentation and fraud and that's why we're all here.

And it boils my onions when she bleats about evil trolls begrudging her a salary for her so-called work. She has used that word: salary. Like she's entitled to a regular, predictable wage in return for hours worked, only paid for by patrons.

A salary is income tied to a job, Jack. Getting people to throw cash at you through dubious crowdfunding is not, and has never been, a salary. If you want a salary, go and get a job.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I hear your point Naboo. The class thing is so tricky, though, isn't it?

Cos, I also know that having your kids look trendy in the latest gear might be about them fitting in and being able to hold their own among their peers and many families live month to month so treat themselves with consumer goods when they can and don't save much.

I AM a judgemental cow, I can't help it. And I have ingrained class prejudices too, which I try to confront in myself.

The bottom line, though, is that the vast majority of parents are working hard for their earnings and they can spend it how they like. And Jack has built her entire so-called career on lies and misrepresentation and fraud and that's why we're all here.

And it boils my onions when she bleats about evil trolls begrudging her a salary for her so-called work. She has used that word: salary. Like she's entitled to a regular, predictable wage in return for hours worked, only paid for by patrons.

A salary is income tied to a job, Jack. Getting people to throw cash at you through dubious crowdfunding is not, and has never been, a salary. If you want a salary, go and get a job.
In my experience the consoles are often a popular gift because they’re super easy to get on payment plans from places that will lend to you if you’ve got shite credit or can only pay a bit (littlewoods in my day, then brighthouse and now very) and they serve the dual purpose of being a desirable gift so the kids can hold their own amongst peers and giving kids something socially acceptable amongst their peers to do if days out etc are unaffordable.

I stayed at home all weekend being bored is pretty tit compared to another child who went to the pleasure beach but I stayed at home all weekend playing fifa/minecraft/fortnite/whatever is popular at the time is often seen as equally desirable.

See also big screen TV trope of yore - if you can’t afford to take your kids out and about unless it’s to free destinations (park and beach are a bit grim when it’s freezing and raining and you’ve been three times this half term), you want to have something “good” to try to entertain them at home.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Totally agreed, it won’t. She’s a Disney parent, but the shine will come off if it hasn’t already and SB will see through her (and brutally - likely also through his father who has enabled Jack in that endeavour for pretty much his entire life).
---

Some of her recipes also bear a striking resemblance to other chefs work/stuff on good food (without acknowledgement).

I know for some things there’s only really a limited amount you can develop them without going to odd extremes that just don’t work to differentiate (the eggs perhaps an example) but that’s never been considered an excuse for Jack and I don’t think the line on that should be different just because someone else is more personable while they do it - if it’s plagiarism when Jack does it, it’s plagiarism when Nadiya and others do it even if they’re much better at presenting it.

Nadiya is far more suited to a TV show to show said recipes off though.
Oh I’m really interested in which recipes you think Nadiya’s ripped off @CabalofBolorneaise!? I’ve found her refreshingly pretty original in whatever I’ve seen her produce. I’d be disappointed if she’s “doing a guest” and just tweaking Good Food recipes 😭

Reactions: 14
And then imagine the credit available to her as a young single woman with a good salary. Spend, spend, spend until the cards are maxed up and she's out of a job
What made me suspect a shopping addiction long ago was that even as a young single woman, she couldn’t live on £27k which was a decent salary back then. She was renting the executive flat, whatever the hell that means, which would have been pricey but doable. But she also had shifts in the nightclub and cafe and did 60 hour weeks. Clearly she needed a lot of cash to live on.

I also think this is why she thinks she’s the most poviest pov of all and worse off than literally everyone. Because she had to live within her means for a while and couldn’t go out and spunk money which is her coping mechanism.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
In my experience the consoles are often a popular gift because they’re super easy to get on payment plans from places that will lend to you if you’ve got shite credit or can only pay a bit (littlewoods in my day, then brighthouse and now very) and they serve the dual purpose of being a desirable gift so the kids can hold their own amongst peers and giving kids something socially acceptable amongst their peers to do if days out etc are unaffordable.

I stayed at home all weekend being bored is pretty tit compared to another child who went to the pleasure beach but I stayed at home all weekend playing fifa/minecraft/fortnite/whatever is popular at the time is often seen as equally desirable.

See also big screen TV trope of yore - if you can’t afford to take your kids out and about unless it’s to free destinations (park and beach are a bit grim when it’s freezing and raining and you’ve been three times this half term), you want to have something “good” to try to entertain them at home.
I remember hearing someone say, in response to one of those "poor people shouldn't spend money on big TVs" articles in the press, that (a) a TV is a massive source of entertainment and education for all members of a family and (b) it's a relatively affordable expense for just about everyone as the unit price of electronics has dropped, relative to incomes.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.