Jack Monroe #539 The devil works hard, but portrait mode works harder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm afraid to ask because I gave up trying to keep up with these threads a while ago but did we ever get an explanation as to why she's still in the bungamansion and the BIG MOVE didn't happen? She tweeted that she'd given notice to her "lovely" landlady (she'd moaned about for years) and everything.

I remember the speculation was that she'd actually bought. Do we think it fell through due to new ccjs?
In the words of Adam Curtis, "It was all a fantasy."

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Do i recall correctly, one time during an outburst, she asked a man on twitter if he was beating up his wife?
Yes she posed the question 'have you stopped beating your wife' to him in order to try and prove something but I've clean forgotten what...

Reactions: 15
I live in Kent where there are a lot of grammar schools. We tend to say secondary generally, but if it’s a grammar school being talked about a lot of people will use grammar instead, as in “Aunty Pat’s grandson just got suspended from the boys’ grammar for skiving lessons to vape in the park”. I suspect Jack would judiciously use grammar, if she was with people who she thought it would impress she’d use it, if she was trying to prove her well ‘ard working class credentials it would be high school.

Reactions: 20
Yeah, it's a reference to "have you stopped beating your wife?" which is the archetypical example of the loaded question fallacy - whether you say yes or no, it still gives the impression you beat your wife. She was very clumsily trying to make the point that she couldn't win because no matter what she said, people would still assume she's using coke. Doesn't make it any less stupid and insensitive for her to say this

Reactions: 30
I grew up in the North-East and our catchment area had two High Schools in it. My OH is from darn sarf and he says Comprehensive.
I've just looked at Google Maps and it still says High School on the signage outside in my old area. OH's school just says School on the sign now.

Reactions: 12
I know this forum is not about her parents but a while ago someone said they retired from fostering years ago. I was very surprised to hear that on various grounds. Not least that I would have imagined this means they have a large and spacious home with plenty of spare bedrooms and a lot of time on their hands. They must have surely had to put up some really strong boundaries against care-taking guest and the boy!?

I guess she knows she's getting a big inheritance one day and is just acting the fool until one day she really can be Auntie Pat running a B&B?
Her younger siblings who her parents adopted are much much younger than she is (still in their teens I think) so they didn’t have a lot of time on their hands. A more sceptical person than me might think they decided to adopt in order to stop their grandson being dumped on them at every available opportunity …

• Heart
Reactions: 17
View attachment 2413671

Apparently is shorthand for "I think this thing about myself and I want to say it but I will sound like a prick if I say I think I look like Natalie Portman"

And you'd be right, Guest. You'd sound like an utterly deluded prick.
Its so funny how she thinks “apparently” and “I’ve been told that” are magic words that allow her to be conceited and up her own arse without anyone catching on. Is that a narcissist thing, to be extremely obviously lying but think nobody can tell because they’re all much stupider than you?

Every time she claims someone told her she resembles someone or is amazing at something or would make a good [fill in the blank] or came up with a funny & flattering nickname for her, it translates to “i was gazing into the mirror, trying to figure out if it’s possible to make out with my own reflection, when I thought to myself…”

Even if a few of them had been real things other people had said, it’s so weird to gloat about it online as often as she does. If someone said something nice about me I would never consider running to social media to tell everyone about it. And the thought of posting about how beautiful, intelligent & talented I am on Twitter disguised as something one of my many imaginary friends told me makes me curl up into a ball.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
I'm afraid to ask because I gave up trying to keep up with these threads a while ago but did we ever get an explanation as to why she's still in the bungamansion and the BIG MOVE didn't happen? She tweeted that she'd given notice to her "lovely" landlady (she'd moaned about for years) and everything.

I remember the speculation was that she'd actually bought. Do we think it fell through due to new ccjs?
We never got an explanation but I think she was probably looking at buying at one point but it fell through, either because of the CCJs or it turned out more expensive or more effort than she’d originally thought. I reckon it’s a bit like the VBI in that she got overexcited and thought it would be much easier than it is, and now can’t bring herself to admit that she got carried away and it’s not happening, so is hoping people will forget about it. It’s quite funny that she was talking about paint colours and ‘accidentally ordering shopping to the new house’ months ago and now, nothing. I wonder if she’s unpacked those boxes yet.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
. Someone should tell guest that we already have a Keira Knightley, a Natalie Portman, a Ruby Rose and an Eva Green. A preponderance of talented and physically appealing dark-haired women meaning there's no room and no, you can't sit with them.
Lid or no lid.

• Haha
Reactions: 41
I grew up in the midlands and my local secondary was always referred to as ‘high school’. My OH is a southerner and he thinks ‘high school’ sounds ridiculous.
I always thought this was an age thing rather than regional - I'm from London and would say secondary, and think high school sounds American, ( even though my school had High School in the name) but younger friends from the NW of England say high school so... I'm still on the side of it being a Jack Americanism because she sucks

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I grew up in the North-East and our catchment area had two High Schools in it. My OH is from darn sarf and he says Comprehensive.
I've just looked at Google Maps and it still says High School on the signage outside in my old area. OH's school just says School on the sign now.
I’m northwest (Lancashire), in my area the high/secondary schools are all academy now but they were all whatever High School before that and I think had been for a good while - ie since my grandparents went to them. There are a couple of grammar schools further out though at least one is just grammar in name only, they don’t do the 11+ for it and most kids around here won’t do it to go to the further out ones but I do see the uniform for Lancaster sometimes at the station (Largely because I always think it must be a right ballache going from Blackpool to Lancaster via Preston each morning and afternoon).

It’s so interesting how much it varies though, I would never have thought anything of Jack or anyone else saying high school before the Frauen educated me on the regional differences!

Reactions: 11
Yes she posed the question 'have you stopped beating your wife' to him in order to try and prove something but I've clean forgotten what...
I can kind of see what she was going for here… “when did you stop…” is a classic example of a loaded question. It’s designed to trip up the person you ask it to. Bring Jack, of course, she completely stuffed it’s application by failing to provide context or link it to the equally loaded question the squig asked her.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Her younger siblings who her parents adopted are much much younger than she is (still in their teens I think) so they didn’t have a lot of time on their hands. A more sceptical person than me might think they decided to adopt in order to stop their grandson being dumped on them at every available opportunity …
Dave 'n' Eve retired from fostering in 2015 when guest was living with Allegra. Eve mentioned that the adopted children have been with the family since they were babies. Guest's sister is 20-21 and brother 16-17, so they would have been there by the time SB was born. But one of guest's many excuses as to why her parents didn't help her when she was poor was that they had two young kids of their own at home. Knowing guest, she is probably resentful ...

• Sad
Reactions: 29
She mentions being out with her brother and everyone thinking she was a teen mum so they were definitely on the scene pre-SB, though when exactly all the arrangements fell into place is a second question.

Reactions: 14
. Someone should tell guest that we already have a Keira Knightley, a Natalie Portman, a Ruby Rose and an Eva Green. A preponderance of talented and physically appealing dark-haired women meaning there's no room and no, you can't sit with them.
Lid or no lid.
The claiming to look like other people does point towards her lack of having an identity of her own, doesn't it?

If you're wanting to get into the business that is show - if you're genuinely passionate about your art anyway - you'll be wanting to emphasize your uniqueness, whether it's your looks or voice. It's just so half-hearted - "I look like these people and I've been told I can sing..." like everything she does I suppose.

And on the subject of her being "fashion model beautiful". Again, no chance. Fashion models are striking, not necessarily traditionally beautiful, but the most important thing is to be tall and have a body shape that makes any outfit hang well. Aunty Pat could never.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 36
Yes, I grew up reading Enid Blyton and C.S Lewis etc. I was a veritable young fogey actually, I was well into National Trust houses and big into the Elizabeth the 1st scene and collected books on her. 😭

However, I don't think I was like a prematurely middle aged woman at 14. In a school talent show in second year seniors, me and three mates did a dance routine to Salt N Pepa's Push It and I CRINGE at the memories of it but at least I was contemporary? I can only imagine how much shame I'd feel if my entry was singing Celine Dion.

I imagine that Big Dave and Ev liked Celine Dion, they seem that sort of couple and I imagine that a lot of jack's middle aged woman foibles were born of her parents being her only window to culture. Even I managed to act my age when I wasn't acting like a creepy child antiques expert round NT properties, because I had mates my own age who introduced me to pop culture. Jack is her parents, right down to the writing in the "the papers" with what she thought were wry, acerbic observations but came across as a curtain twitching 65 year old retired gent. 😔
Her parents aren't even that old themselves to be so fogeyish. Big D is only just 60, not sure about Big Ev, but would imagine similar. And Jack's somehow even older than them in her tastes and views!

• Haha
Reactions: 23
We never got an explanation but I think she was probably looking at buying at one point but it fell through, either because of the CCJs or it turned out more expensive or more effort than she’d originally thought. I reckon it’s a bit like the VBI in that she got overexcited and thought it would be much easier than it is, and now can’t bring herself to admit that she got carried away and it’s not happening, so is hoping people will forget about it. It’s quite funny that she was talking about paint colours and ‘accidentally ordering shopping to the new house’ months ago and now, nothing. I wonder if she’s unpacked those boxes yet.
Also she thought Grifty Kitchen was going to go bigtime and so her projected figures would never have matched reality and that would have put a halt to any potential mortgage offer. Plus I think she was grooming OH for marriage and a home at the initial phase of all that 'forever home' type talk, even dressing up as a frumpy trad wife. Also the financial lending market has surely got to be as unstable as it's ever been these days so having an unreliable and unpredictable income would repel most institutions surely?
---
I always thought this was an age thing rather than regional - I'm from London and would say secondary, and think high school sounds American, ( even though my school had High School in the name) but younger friends from the NW of England say high school so... I'm still on the side of it being a Jack Americanism because she sucks
I was dragged up in the north of UK and my secondary school literally had the words 'High School' as its name so although it was a mixed comprehensive, being as there were many other schools in the region, we would say I'm at X High School if asked.

Reactions: 23
If you're wanting to get into the business that is show - if you're genuinely passionate about your art anyway - you'll be wanting to emphasize your uniqueness, whether it's your looks or voice. It's just so half-hearted - "I look like these people and I've been told I can sing..." like everything she does I suppose.
see also an early example of her total reluctance to put the work in. You know, writing songs, arranging songs, rehearsing songs, performing songs to empty rooms, never having any money etc etc etc… the life of 99% of gigging musicians who do it for the art

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.