Jack Monroe #539 The devil works hard, but portrait mode works harder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thread title by @WoolyMammoth nominated by both @HotesTilaire and @plentyofpepper you all get to enter your butch phase with 5kg of plaid shirts.

In the last thread, Jack made her long-awaited return to Twitter to lap up some praise for her Greenbelt appearance which meant we were treated to some candid photos where she looks suspiciously thumb-like. She has bought up the entire stock of checked shirts in the east of England and her son has turned into a striking graceful woman who shares trainers with her. Please post additional recap if I forgot anything.

When nominating a thread title please use the words 'thread title' and no swearing. Wiki is the pink button up top.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 84
Right at the arse end of the last thread we learned that upon being served two chicken legs in a bowl of water, Jack asked for the recipe. Also, if making onion soup never mind Prue Leith or Allegra McEvedy's sweating the onions down for an hour, Jack Monroe says twenty minutes will do. Who ya gonna believe?

• Haha
Reactions: 42
With the festival over, is that her done for the year workwise?

ETA: Doesn't need to post to the blog until April to keep to her annual update cycle.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
I am aware that this may not go down well if we have some Chris Packham fans but MIL has a show on where he’s doing something with his (adult) daughter and he reminds me SO much of Jack.

There was just an excruciating moment where the daughter shared a puffin fact she was clearly really excited by and he was so dismissive of hers, then delivered a fact that was barely related to puffins and clearly expected admiration and that is EXACTLY how I imagine Jack generally to interact but especially with SB.

ETA: I appreciate he knows his stuff on animals unlike Jack and cookery but really the mannerisms and attitude radiating from him are so reminiscent of Jack.

• Sad
Reactions: 41
From @Valiofthedolls beautiful compilation at the end of the last thread, a rare Auntie Pat pic I've never seen before.
IMG_3046.jpeg

In the late 1980s Pat and her friends went on a coach trip to London to audition to be on Ready Steady Cook. When it was Pat's turn, she smiled and waved when the producer said smile and wave, but it turned out her cooking skills weren't quite what the show needed. When Ainsley said "here, you can chop an onion while I do literally everything else", Pat asked for a bullet blender and turned her back to the camera.
However, her cousin's best mate (known to you and me as Auntie Sandra, even though she's no relation) did get on the show. She was partnered with Anthony Worrall Thompson, and Pat sulked throughout the episode when it came on telly. "It should have been ME!" she yelled, ripping a can of hoops open with her bare hands like Popeye. "MY OWN NICHE GENRRRRE!"
Hoops splattered the wall. There's still an orange stain on the carpet ( told you you should rinse them!) Uncle Roy (Sandra's husband) had to be calmed down with a pint of "the black stuff". We don't talk about it now.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 98
I am aware that this may not go down well if we have some Chris Packham fans but MIL has a show on where he’s doing something with his daughter and he reminds me SO much of Jack.

There was just an excruciating moment where the daughter shared a puffin fact she was clearly really excited by and he was so dismissive of hers, then delivered a fact that was barely related to puffins and clearly expected admiration and that is EXACTLY how I imagine Jack generally to interact but especially with SB.
Chris knows he does this. He tries not too and people who love him accept it.
Jack has no knowledge to counter point .
◇ but my son is very clever and autistic, I'm currently warning him being a know it all will get you ironed out.
Nobody ever bothered with jack

• Heart
Reactions: 62
In the previous thread, an Upside Down Frau found the fungi of Britain both compelling and repulsive.
Jesus Murphy, the dead man's hand one... which Jack might refer to as Fauna because she's thick.
Thanks for the education anyway, my ninnies. I'm going to spend the rest of my morning looking up funguseses.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
◇ but my son is very clever and autistic, I'm currently warning him being a know it all will get you ironed out.
He doesn’t seem to be trying very hard on this series to be honest. I’ve never seen much with him in before to counterbalance but it’s really striking.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 20
In the previous thread, an Upside Down Frau found the fungi of Britain both compelling and repulsive.
Jesus Murphy, the dead man's hand one... which Jack might refer to as Fauna because she's thick.
Thanks for the education anyway, my ninnies. I'm going to spend the rest of my morning looking up funguseses.
Is that wise with the current murder fungi issues?

• Haha
Reactions: 27
You need to be very, very careful of fungi in the upside down MCM. It’s Pooh’s birthday. Please watch out!

Although we have glorious fungi, yours seem ~slightly~ more deadly, especially when they are dried, blended and served at family dinners.

💀

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 39
Chris is autistic, so you can’t really blame him for lacking in social skills/knowledge of social cues.
There’s a good chance Jack is too though, so you could say the same about her and lacking in social skills/knowledge of cues? If Jack can be criticised for it then surely so can Chris.

ETA: especially when it’s not a random overheard interaction, it’s a TV show.

Reactions: 26
From @Valiofthedolls beautiful compilation at the end of the last thread, a rare Auntie Pat pic I've never seen before. View attachment 2410681

In the late 1980s Pat and her friends went on a coach trip to London to audition to be on Ready Steady Cook. When it was Pat's turn, she smiled and waved when the producer said smile and wave, but it turned out her cooking skills weren't quite what the show needed. When Ainsley said "here, you can chop an onion while I do literally everything else", Pat asked for a bullet blender and turned her back to the camera.
However, her cousin's best mate (known to you and me as Auntie Sandra, even though she's no relation) did get on the show. She was partnered with Anthony Worrall Thompson, and Pat sulked throughout the episode when it came on telly. "It should have been ME!" she yelled, ripping a can of hoops open with her bare hands like Popeye. "MY OWN NICHE GENRRRRE!"
Uncle Roy (Sandra's husband) had to be calmed down with a pint of "the black stuff". We don't talk about it now.
This is all a true story dear @rage naan, except that this happened in the early noughties. I know this because Ainsley Harriott was the host and Auntie Pat told him she'd heard that Africans cook chicken only using water and half a teaspoon of salt.

1693252099029.png

• Haha
Reactions: 34
He’s also gone out of his way to get properly diagnosed, and to use his platform to inform and educate on the different forms autism/Asperger’s can take as well as supporting other people who’ve been diagnosed. He seems like a very genuine person. Guest could never

• Heart
Reactions: 72
This is all a true story dear @rage naan, except that this happened in the early noughties. I know this because Ainsley Harriott was the host and Auntie Pat told him she'd heard that Africans cook chicken only using water and half a teaspoon of salt.

View attachment 2410731
Haha, fair enough - lord knows Pat's never been the most reliable source about which decade things happened in... #1958truther

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Aunty Pat enjoying a nice Radox soak after getting back from her Thursday evening Accountancy class/Slimming World double-whammy, thinking of her 8-4 shift in the morning and the stack of Uncle Dennis's butch checked shirts she still needs to iron.

"Thank God the weekend's almost here" she sighs.

Screenshot_20230828-195338_Instagram.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 72
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.