Jack Monroe #52 Am I awful and nobody has ever told me?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Totally agree it's astounding. If you tot up the amount of money spent on furniture, a new wardrobe in Edinburgh and holidays just in the last few months. And that's only the stuff we've been privy too. Of course a fridge may break and require replacing. But does it need replacing with a £3k SMEG fridge when a few weeks prior you were asking for donations via PayPal and Patreon because you'd lost revenue in pandemic? Do what the rest of us do trying to save for a deposit and get a nice spreadsheet going with ingoings and outgoings and be bloody strict!
agreed. I imagine the cost of the trip to Edinburgh and the kitten stuff is getting the cost of the last few weeks to at least a couple of grand. That is not what someone in financial dire straits would do. That’s not even something a relatively comfortable person would do given the parlours state of the economy rn. And yet we have this Patreon and other poor references. It Doesn’t make sense.

That Patreon thing. Boy. She is bleeping scum, mate. Not financially secure? Are you taking the piss? Most people arent, you bleeping clown.

She is a middle class, spoilt, self entitled little runt who is insanely blind to her privilege.

That has fucked me off so much. How can anyone be so bleeping insensitive yet act like a saviour!? YOU ARE NOT A WHITE KNIGHT FOR THE POOR. duck off. bleep.
yeah it’s the white knighting thing I can’t get my head round. “Give me your money so I can help the poooooooor!” And she has all these luxury items. I used to just get Jameela Jamil vibes off her. Now I’m also getting Camilla Batmangelidh.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
You cabal of vile trolls are keeping me going this week! I’ve been really snowed under, but keep coming back every couple of hours or so to scan through all the brilliant comments. The razor sharp wit, and unlimited kindness is just the tonic. My usual go-to during busy periods would be to read the news during little breaks, but it’s so frustrating and depressing! You’re all bloody champs 🙏🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 59
It has taken me this long to realise that Jack has muddied the waters a little with her trademarked name Cooking on a Bootstrap. Whether on purpose or not who knows?
I have done a little preliminary research and the original phrase is of course 'cooking on or living on a shoestring' which as the name suggests means living on a very limited or restricted budget. Of course 'on a shoestring' might be copyrighted already.
Bootstrap comes from what is now a much more loaded phrase (pull oneself up by one's bootstraps) that has racist connotations these days. 'Anything is possible if you just pull yourself together' ignoring any class, race, social movement, education, financial or elitist restrictions which ensure that poor, working class and BAME people remain at the bottom of the pile.
Interestingly the bootstrap phrase originates in 1834 and referred to a person attempting an impossible task (like making Jack's food look edible) and was in turn inspired by an incident in the fantasy fiction book The Surprising Adventures of Baron Munchhausen by Rudolf Raspe (1781). The eponymous hero pulls himself and his horse of a swamp by pulling himself up by his hair. Of course it is ludicrous and suggests the impossible (again see Jack's cooking).
It took less than 10 minutes for me to discover this and I find it intriguing that Jack either does not know or care about how offensive the bootstrap reference can be.
Also the concept is alien to her, she landed on her feet and has been happily using the system to get ahead ever since. No pulling of bootstraps by Jack, not even the pulling of a pair of £180 trainer laces got her where she is today. Her class, her ethnicity, the people she knows haven't prevented her success, one might even say it all helped....
Couldnt agree more. Alexandria Ocasio Cortez has a good speech about the bootstrap fallacy. I reckon Jack confused it with shoestring when she chose the name. But I’m surprised she’s so ignorant of the current discourse around race and poverty as to not realise it’s offensive to some.

Reactions: 28
agreed. I imagine the cost of the trip to Edinburgh and the kitten stuff is getting the cost of the last few weeks to at least a couple of grand. That is not what someone in financial dire straits would do. That’s not even something a relatively comfortable person would do given the parlours state of the economy rn. And yet we have this Patreon and other poor references. It Doesn’t make sense.

yeah it’s the white knighting thing I can’t get my head round. “Give me your money so I can help the poooooooor!” And she has all these luxury items. I used to just get Jameela Jamil vibes off her. Now I’m also getting Camilla Batmangelidh.
Ditto - I said this on a previous thread.

She reminds me of people who create a whole new persona/narrative/history and become an “expert” on said narrative. People who write memoirs claiming to have been in gangs, at Auschwitz, in the Twin Towers (Tanya Head), black activists (Rachel Dolezal) starting charities (Camila Batmanghelidjh) are then feted and consulted for their expertise, experience and qualifications. Then it all comes crashing down.

Reactions: 32
Jack Monroe #53: Nike VaporMax on her feet, then a mass Twitter delete!

• Haha
Reactions: 27

Camilla had almost everyone fooled for years; I never took much notice of her and took her at face value, although some of her stories seemed a bit far fetched.

She was another one who would randomly develop health conditions. I think she also claimed severe dyslexia.

• Wow
Reactions: 22
Camilla had almost everyone fooled for years; I never took much notice of her and took her at face value, although some of her stories seemed a bit far fetched.

She was another one who would randomly develop health conditions. I think she also claimed severe dyslexia.
See what is going on with Mermaids & Susie Green.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
I'd totally eat that lot to be fair, but I wouldn't call it cooking! And how does snacky bits from Sainsbury's make you feel things for Edinburgh again?
Because that's the only Edinburgh she knows. The Rose street Sainsbury's and 5 Guys. Oh, and the Scot monument from coming out of Waverly station.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
You're all horrid, I'm leaving the Internet. 😭

I'm back. 🙋‍♀️

(Soz, I was trying to do two separate posts to illustrate the twattishness of JM and totally cocked it up) 😳

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
Then the icing on the cake 👇🏻View attachment 191844View attachment 191845This is just 🙈, I can’t believe she still has this up there!! ‘Keep me ticking over’ “struggling to keep my head above water’ WTF with all her expensive items (Dyson, Cotswold furniture to name ONLY two)in the house and last minute weekend away to Edinburgh 😡
Plus the most recent update on the site is from April 2018 😳 She sure seems to take her Patreon followers for granted. She has over 190 current members 🤯
Does anyone know if people like her making such statements about needing the patreon money to keep afloat when clearly she is very comfortably off, if it could be classed as extortion or fraud? Particularly if said patreons don't receive anything for their money?

Reactions: 18
Couldnt agree more. Alexandria Ocasio Cortez has a good speech about the bootstrap fallacy. I reckon Jack confused it with shoestring when she chose the name. But I’m surprised she’s so ignorant of the current discourse around race and poverty as to not realise it’s offensive to some.
Yep! Also get the impression she'd have been raised in a centre right sort of household, that dad's letter really seals it for me soz. Also it explains why she's comfortable being pally pally with the Goves, Boris, etc, because she's not got 'skin in the game' and never has. Her parents probs discussed bootstrapping and she thought nothing more of it.

Honestly there is SO much uncertainty not only in the economy but society itself?! Like what is the future of work going to look like, what's the future of retail gonna look like, what is going to happen to rail companies as a result of that, do we see a de-centralisation of work/communities away from major cities and commuter belts?! Like we 100% know inflation's gonna smack us about but the rest is so scary I can't imagine being so chill about it all. Sorry I sound like I'm rocking back and forth with a tin foil hat on but it is proper scary, also they're gonna come for higher & additional rate tax payers to recoup all these furlough costs so hun keep those funds in the company bank acct!!

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Interestingly the bootstrap phrase originates in 1834 and referred to a person attempting an impossible task (like making Jack's food look edible) and was in turn inspired by an incident in the fantasy fiction book The Surprising Adventures of Baron Munchhausen by Rudolf Raspe (1781). The eponymous hero pulls himself and his horse of a swamp by pulling himself up by his hair. Of course it is ludicrous and suggests the impossible (again see Jack's cooking).
Yeah, I found it ironic that someone who exagerates and lies so much like Jack would take a name after the story about a (fictional) man who exagerates and lies (but then I read the story was about pulling himself uo by the ponytail, not his bootstraps).

Anyway, I guess cooking on a shoestring was already taken?

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.