Jack Monroe #51 Chains, trains and inedible meals

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think her sleeping as well as her eating is very disordered. Napping for hours during the day and making bolognaise at 5am or tweeting at 2am is not conducive to good mental health or home life. It's very hard on the people around you too.

Reactions: 52
It wasn’t the right time? Greek cooking has surely been more popular in terms of recipe books than whatever it is she’d term her “cooking” as? She makes it seem like some kind of culinary discriminated against minority.
It wasn't the right time as she needed people to forget she had family she could have asked for help in the poverty days.

What's trashy is someone who apparently pays themselves a living wage while saving the rest, crapping on and on and on about said pretend poverty. It's such a fabrication it doesn't even occur to them to move their £400 fan out of the way or chat casually about the rowing machine they paid a THOUSAND pounds for/last minute sleeper train booking/private apartment holiday/donating a nutribullet cos you went clothes shopping as well and can't be fucked to take it home.

I'm the same age and I have only just got the first bit of brand new furniture I have ever owned in my life. That's how it actually goes if you are poor and ill. Luckily for me I don't care about that stuff, and am not susceptible to advertising or influencing the way many vulnerable people can be.

I am able to tell that there is no possibility that lifestyle is funded in any way on the supposed budget. If the target demographic of their work/correspondance with vulnerable individuals is to be believed, it is the most trashy thing to portray this lifestyle to people while knowing otherwise. The influencing marketing model works very well, and is causing significant problems. This is a deliberate collusion with that model and a complete lack of transparency for their own gain.

I don't think it was clear in my last post regarding lurking so a note to add that I have never followed or interacted with any social media account featured on Tattle, aside from following Sali on IG for a short while. What I was saying before is that I read the information here for a long while before i decided to contribute, and that as a public forum it is reasonable to expect there would be many others doing the same.

• Heart
Reactions: 55
If she ever managed to write a whole book which didn't involve a blender, or baby food textures, I'd be shocked.

Her late night Twitter spamming is also just a bit odd. Some people can use social media responsibly, but it really does seem like instead of talking to people directly, or having private chats with friends, it's all just dumped on Instagram and Twitter.

One of the best things I did was stop using FB and Twitter (never really got into Instagram), but funnily enough, it only happened at a time I was more confident in myself and stopped worrying about other people. That's not to say lots of people don't really enjoy SM, but I do think for some people (like Jack) it can become a form of self destruction.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 22
I didn’t want to say this cos I was scared of starting a ruckus over identity politics but omg YES, this 😂Identity is a wild rollercoaster but like most my 2nd gen friends who’d spend school summer holidays in their respective ~motherlands it was a weirdly disillusioning experience where you are aware you’re other than. I certainly would never have felt the confidence to say this is home, because it’s not...

Can’t articulate it but there’s definitely something uncomfortable about suddenly embracing a previously disregarded/unacknowledged identity and dramatically calling it home at 2am on Twitter. Feels a bit like a geographical (when people go abroad thinking it’ll fix their problems but turns out they’re the problem?) at best or just savvy on the pulse bandwagoning...

Her trainers are grotty but the DKL ones are that Nike bubble sole they start from £120. Which again I find bizarre as she really can’t dress but spends a lot on some really bad items.

Edit: sorry I’m wrong, they start from £180 they’re the vapormax.

That’s 18 hours of gross living wage pay?
How dare you, that's ''literally'' less than a day's work for her :LOL:

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
She had a three hour nap yesterday. I presume her son must be elsewhere, she's just back from a long weekend away and her son is passed off to someone yet again. Unbelievable. She has no idea about her privilege does she?

Reactions: 37
I told mine not to talk to me when I was on the toilet (because really, what does she expect me to do?) and so she wrote me a note and slid it under the door instead 🙄 The only way she'd let me nap was if she had my phone and thought she could get away with unlimited time on it!
when mine were little (now adults!) they would sit entranced by 1 teletubby video (yes, VIDEO!) and would sit quietly. I knew i had 45 minutes to shut my eyes!!

• Haha
  • Heart
For someone who has issues in sleeping whyyyy would she think it’s a good idea to have 3 cans of coke?! What happened to her no caffeine rule? She’s such a contradiction.

• Haha
Reactions: 39
There is absolutely no way she made that meal!
She’d almost certainly want to mess with the recipes, because you know, she’s a maverick. So would have ended up with something dreadful looking.
Also - there’s the whole vine leaf chat on twitter (I think someone screenshot it). Anyway, that was very carefully worded in a way that didn’t expose she hadn’t made them but didn’t explicitly say she did 🕵️‍♀️
And of course, as others have said, it looks edible so...
EDIT - I said “it wasn’t that hard to do” I think it definitely is actually. Im still half asleep (up all night with baby...)

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
How dare you, that's ''literally'' less than a day's work for her :LOL:
How dare u frau, I think you'll find:

£110k for 10 mins @ Tesco
£11k per min
£183.33 per second

It's literally one second's work pre deductions, it's...... Michael Jackson's account

• Haha
  • Wow
One of the best things I did was stop using FB and Twitter (never really got into Instagram)
I've never used any of them - and I'm glad I don't. There is nothing about me online and I am young-ish. I don't even use a smartphone - just a laptop. I look at Twitter for news or a link, etc, but that's all. Phones and social media screw your head, in my opinion.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Oh yeah and the mashed egg thing is something all of our grandparents invented it as my mum told me, back in the day before all this baby health and safety they used to feed mashed egg to babies.

Reactions: 10
If it's true she's got a new two-book deal one of them might be a Greek-style recipe book - family recipes, etc. I'm a bit disappointed her publisher has renewed her deal. The first was for two books - and I don't know how they sold but the reviews were not great. And the last one was released during lockdwon.

Reactions: 12
Can you imagine her trying to pitch a Greek book?
She isn't Greek (your dad being half Cypriot is not a claim to heritage)
She's never been to Cyprus (if she had she'd never bleeping shut up about her idyllic childhood catching octopus and picking vine leaves or some tit like that)
She can't cook
There are zillions of Greek cook books out there
People can Google
People have Pinterest
There is nothing new in her Greek offerings
A million Greek Grannies would go off alarming at the state of the food
You can LITERALLY buy all that in Tesco

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
I'd go one further and say the photo immediately came across to me like a supermarket picnic range promo photo. It's very different from Jack's usual or at least most recent style.
She is a very mediocre photographer at the absolute best though. Like the rest of them, it's not very good. Just a different style of not very good.

@crystaleyesd Congrats to you, hope you are doing whatever the duck you like today!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
I agree with those who have said the Greek munch looks edible but the Co Op sells all that exact stuff in little pots for lunch. I'm not saying that's where she got it, I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised
Those little peppers stuffed with cheese to the left of the vine leaves are definitely supermarket-bought.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
The trashy when poor/classy when rich thing was a Reddit thread years ago. It's one of the most famous Reddit threads ever, I reckon, in that it's constantly appearing on those weird "32 life hacks that will change you forever" websites that are always in my Facebook feed.

It's a very odd thing to suddenly bring up especially when, like Jackie M, you have nothing new to add.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.