Jack Monroe #44 Spoiler

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm just catching up, but wasn't the story between Helen and Rob one of the best examples of coercive control. I can remember barely being able to hear Rob Titchener's voice without feeling sick.
It was incredible wasn’t it? The whole storyline was fantastically acted and it was so chilling hearing the build up of insidious abuse that led to that fateful night with the tuna pasta bake. Although I do remember shouting, ‘Go on Helen!’ when she finally found the courage to retaliate after months of Rob’s abuse.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
Yet another of her 5-minute wonders. 🙄

I refused to take part in Christmas Jumper Day at my last place - precisely because spunking twenty quid plus on a novelty nylon jumper just so everybody could SEE you had twenty quid to spunk on something that would be worn once or twice was so bleeping offensive. When I said that on another forum, people went ballistic, claiming they wore theirs every day for six months and it's all for charity, it makes people happy and I was being completely horrible to want to take the magic of Christmas away from children. The magic of Christmas in an ostensibly religious school being that you get to wear a nylon monstrosity covered in plastic trinkets for a day, apparently.

I also got told at work that I was being a grumpy old Scrooge - when I said I don't like the idea of rubbing it in the noses of kids that I've got the money for one when they don't even have a coat, so I put the equivalent into the Foodbank basket, they left me the hell alone. The kid who did ask why I wasn't wearing one got a kinder reply 'Well, I don't need another jumper, so I thought it would be more useful to get some things for the foodbank instead'. He was fine with that - although I have a slight suspicion that he probably went around asking staff why they didn't do the same afterwards.

It's about 8 weeks at best and malnourished to the size of about 5. I've handreared enough to know - and that's giving it the benefit of the doubt that it isn't actually about 6 and a bit weeks, which was my actual first response on seeing it.
That was my thought as well. The poor little thing looks so tiny and weak - it’s certainly not thriving, like a kitten should be at that age.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
Yet another of her 5-minute wonders. 🙄

That was my thought as well. The poor little thing looks so tiny and weak - it’s certainly not thriving, like a kitten should be at that age.
I seen it mention on here before, but I also think it may have some sort of problem with its eyes. They don't look healthy.

• Sad
Reactions: 19
[/QUOTE]
How do I do a kitten warning thing?

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I’ve never been a fan of hers and don’t know her history, other than what I’ve read on here. I get the impression she’s never done the work to hone her craft but instead flounced around being a dick?
I think her past is too murky now, she’s given too much away, too many lies and exaggerations. Like why go over the top with veganism, she could have just written a vegan book like many other meat eating chefs?!
I know there’s a lot to unpack with her but from a brand point of view it couldn’t have been more simple. Even if her personal experience of faux poverty was 10 years ago, she should have kept herself involved in current issues and evolve her brand that way. The current issues with the school dinners was a perfect example of how she could have genuinely helped.
All for the fame though innit!
I think vegan might have got shelved because I think after living it for a while she must have realised it wasn’t very compatible with her core low-cost group. It’s much cheaper for a family on low income to buy huge bottles of regular cow milk on multi-buy than it is to buy multiple bottles of soy, even if it is supermarket brand - and that’s before you start considering the vegan cheeses, yogurts etc. Her already loyal fans might have struggled with that. Just my opinion, please correct me if you know the price marks better!

Reactions: 16
Caught up, its taken an age, my brain is mush. A combo of the dog escaping, little sleep
and a monumental meltdown last night. I am a carer for an elderly parent to has become obsessed over a health issue that doesn't exist, it is talked about constantly and theres anger when I can't help or say anything. Last night was my tipping point and i was a blubbering mess, most of the night.
(hoping spoiler worked) the thing is JM doesn't seem to be able to accept that other people have problems too, valid and real, she has to indulge in one upmanship, instead of supporting and showing empathy.
I do like the 'vibe' in this group and the new offshoot, reminds me of the old 'Bad Mothers Club'. Right I am off to see whats been going on over at Food and Drink.
Hope today has been better for you ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Ol' Nick himself wouldn't tolerate her tit. Can you imagine it

'Yes, thank you for coming to interview today, let's have a quick look around, shall we? Here we have the eternal immolation chamber'

'That's nothing, compared to when I COULDN'T PUT THE HEATING ON',

'OK, so there is being boiled in hot oil over there' 'I CHEWED MY OWN LIP DOWN TO THE NERVE',

' - Um, yes, quite. We've a thriving little centre for crushing the Damned under rocks and spearing with red hot pokers here -'

'I carried a 93kg sideboard and a three year with my bare hands AND I STOOD ON GLASS'

'Rightyho. Actually, how would you feel about having an outreach position within the organisation, no need to relocate that way, which might fit in more with your domestic responsibilities?'

'SHE. LEFT. SHE. LEFT. SHE. LEFT.'

'Ah. Could you give me a moment, please?' [Demonicom Mobile Service Ringtone and a voice like a Heavenly Bell says 'Yes?']

'Gabriel, Dear boy. How the Dev - how are you, old chap? Good. Yes, well, obviously you would be good. I'm in a bit of a pickle down here, would we possibly be able to arrange some sort of secondment for a candidate? Well, the thing is that our candidate seems well qualified, but they've got this amazing ability to be incredibly sanctimonious, patronising and, frankly, quite preachy, which I thought would be right up your CEO's street. We'd be happy to take say, Johnny Cash in exchange, as the music's getting a bit repetitive down here and you do already have Elvis and Roy Orbison and Karen Carpenter, amongst others. Oh, you've not got Elvis? Well, I never, I did wonder about that chap in the chipshop. Now we know. Hmmm. We theoretically could let you borrow Paganini, but he is due to give me my next lesson on Tuesday, so we'd need him back. Tell you what, if I throw in Robert Johnson for a couple of hundred years, they knock your Heavenly Hordes Choir into shape and we call it a deal? Marvellous.'

'Sorry about the delay. Right, we've found you a wonderful position on a cloud. I think the post will really, really suit your particular skillset and abilities, so if you'd like to step into the transportation pod, one of our Hellish Minions will take you to your new supervisor. Oh, the pleasure is all mine, have a nice Afterlife'

You need to write Jack's next book instead of Jack!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
I’ve been thinking about class reading all your replies, maybe it’s a Scottish thing but it certainly doesn’t seem to be as obvious up here? Sure someone will correct me. I am a very strange mix, my Dad grew up WC in a Council house but had a good job. My Mum grew up MC by virtue of her Dad owning a shop and they lived in a nice suburb. Parents married and bought a house in nice MC area.
Terrible separation due to addiction and DV and Mum left and had to rent. So we lived in a rented property that was freezing, sleeping in clothes and me staying wherever I could so my Mum could work full time to keep our heads above water. Sorry all sounds a bit JM, I know! Back in those days no money was required to be paid by Dad (still holding down good job) so he didn’t.

Over the years Mum was promoted again and again and became an Area Director in her field. I’ve been so lucky to have such a strong female role model. I reckon I’m likely MC but no Uni for me as Mum couldn’t afford it, and no Land Rover as we couldn’t afford a car! My lovely Grandpa did take me to dance lessons though ❤

Sorry for the essay but that is why I get annoyed at JM, just get on with it. My Mum did, back in the day when there was no financial or care support. She worked hard and made really nice food from not much, always inspired by the books she loved Elizabeth David etc
I completely agree BB; I never even thought what class I was until we started talking about it here.

I was chuckling away at myself earlier when folks were talking about triangulating and not wanting to say too much about where they are....and I’m in the corner going “Aberdeen let’s make some NOISE” 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
[/QUOTE]
The three little dots next to the smiley face, select spoiler, title it ‘kitten’ for example then the cursor will be in between some brackets and say what you’d like to.

boo!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
That “all up in my niche” comment was shocking. She insinuated live on Instagram that she was gutted Miguel was a nice bloke because she wanted to hate him since he’s “all up in her niche”. If that doesn’t show her true character I don’t know what does.
Miguel is close to being a household name for his simple £1 meals niche, I know nothing else about him which is fine, I don’t need to to know what he’s about. Does he have a struggling background? Does it matter if he does?
Jack could have easily elevated her niche of cooking cheaply and made it into a decent brand, however she’s fucked herself so many times with her tit personality, exaggerated back story and controversial behaviour. I just can’t understand why shes consistently stood in her own way.
Exactly this. All she needed to do was to shut the duck up, and focus on making easy, cheap meals. It doesn’t matter that she’s middle class, makes decent money, had a very rich partner etc. None of it matters, no one would care, it only matters because she keeps lying about it all! Good £1 recipes speak for themselves. She had potential fame handed to her on a platter via her connections, and ruined it by burning bridges, constantly lying, complaining and going over the top.

She has an absolute compulsion to attention-seek. I think this is why she attaches labels to herself (eg non-binary, vegan, working class, various maladies etc etc) because labels make her feel special and different. But it just makes everyone angry with her when they find out it’s not strictly true, and actual members of those groups feel betrayed, deceived, mocked and used.

I also think she doesn’t know how to publicly react to anything without complaining about it. She thinks she being relatable and self-deprecating when she says things like “crappy bungalow” “pokey village”, or various self-insults. But she just looks exhaustingly negative and ungrateful.

The same with any event, she doesn’t really know her place so she just complains. Even with Naya Rivera’s sad disappearance, Jack decided to insert herself by ranting and raving about how outraged she was at Naya’s child being photographed. Because she complains about absolutely everything it just seems insincere.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
That “all up in my niche” comment was shocking. She insinuated live on Instagram that she was gutted Miguel was a nice bloke because she wanted to hate him since he’s “all up in her niche”. If that doesn’t show her true character I don’t know what does.
Miguel is close to being a household name for his simple £1 meals niche, I know nothing else about him which is fine, I don’t need to to know what he’s about. Does he have a struggling background? Does it matter if he does?
Jack could have easily elevated her niche of cooking cheaply and made it into a decent brand, however she’s fucked herself so many times with her tit personality, exaggerated back story and controversial behaviour. I just can’t understand why shes consistently stood in her own way.

-quick edit on the subject of Louisa, I want to like her but I can’t for the life of me understand how anyone with an ounce of integrity can live with someone who rattled her tip jar and pleads poverty so regularly. Somethings not right there?
Plus she made that tweet which was a sly dig at JO. I'm not sure about Louisa sometimes. However she is clearly not flaky nor needs an online platform to validate herself. I think she is a sounder character than Jack.

Reactions: 18
The three little dots next to the smiley face, select spoiler, title it ‘kitten’ for example then the cursor will be in between some brackets and say what you’d like to.

boo!
[/QUOTE]
Thank you! 👍

Reactions: 7
Fraus -
Message from Vlad:
He says he is most disappointed by all of the insightful and thoughtful commentary on social and class divide recorded today in the cabal minutes. He is displeased. Clearly, there is a deficit in the trolling quota.

Your end of quarter bonuses are on the line. Comrade Grunka Lunka has already benefited and is reaping the rewards:
7F310AB2-D5CA-4D1B-924D-B1D4FB09B4E6.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 60
The wait for her ‘update’ is killing me. I’m sure it will be infuriating and sad when it does come but i’m knackered.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
The wait for her ‘update’ is killing me. I’m sure it will be infuriating and sad when it does come but i’m knackered.
Bollocks to it, @Silver Linings. Go to bed, relax and don't think about her for a bit. I certainly haven't been.

Mr D has come back and said he's on the rota for about 60 hours next week. It'll be weird, especially as that means I'll be stepping up to cover some of the stuff he usually does. whilst I'm wfh.

Reactions: 14
I think our mistake is either a. thinking the 'later' means 'later today', forgetting the fact that the crazy concept of ~time~ is alien to Jack or b. taking her at her word about anything at all (which is to say, the promised 'update' is already forgotten). Or a mixture of the two.

ETA I am also completely knackered, the stress of my dog acting like a bleeping weirdo is really taking its toll on me.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 23
Mr D has come back and said he's on the rota for about 60 hours next week. It'll be weird, especially as that means I'll be stepping up to cover some of the stuff he usually does. whilst I'm wfh.
Oh that sounds tricky. Hope you can get some kind of system sorted.

I’m in bed so if I fall asleep waiting for her I won’t stress too much. I have been less bothered/worried about her as I think ironically she’s much better when she is BUSY. I think we all know whatever she claimed she never had as much to do as she said and boredom + loneliness + SM = sideboard knicker flashing. As long as the cat needs her, at least for now, she’s fine.

• Heart
I think our mistake is either a. thinking the 'later' means 'later today', forgetting the fact that the crazy concept of ~time~ is alien to Jack or b. taking her at her word about anything at all (which is to say, the promised 'update' is already forgotten). Or a mixture of the two.

ETA I am also completely knackered, the stress of my dog acting like a bleeping weirdo is really taking its toll on me.
Have you called the vet, lovely? They may be able to go over some basics with you on the phone to set your mind to rest. Lots of love to you, I know it can be so dreadful when you’re not sure.

• Heart
Have you called the vet, lovely? They may be able to go over some basics with you on the phone to set your mind to rest. Lots of love to you, I know it can be so dreadful when you’re not sure.
My vet is reopening on Monday, with appropriate COVID measures, so I'm going to make an appointment for next week. I'd been hoping and hoping my boy would suddenly stop his strange behaviour (and every second walk or so, he's fine, which lulls me into a false sense of security, only for him to start up again). I honestly don't know if the vet will be much use, I think it's a psychological thing, but I'm going to get him physically checked out nonetheless. Thank you, though, and you're absolutely right, I need to make sure 😭😭😭❤

I think ironically she’s much better when she is BUSY. I think we all know whatever she claimed she never had as much to do as she said and boredom + loneliness + SM = sideboard knicker flashing. As long as the cat needs her, at least for now, she’s fine.
ETA - But the thing is, I reckon she *has* actually been really BUSY over this particular period (or she *should* have been, if she'd taken her prep seriously). She's has more TV / presenting work than ever before, with DKL and the insta lives, it was really her time to shine. But she blew it.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
All caught up! :)

On class:

I think there are some class distinctions in Scotland. My parents are Dundonians and my dad will talk about how my mum's family were fancy enough to ask for a 'pan loaf' from the bakers and my mum is really snobby about my dad's up-bringing and the kind of food she'd be served at my grandparents. There was also a drunken argument they had with another couple from Dundee on which side of the Kingsway they'd been born.

Having said that, I do feel its less overt than in England where it seems that middle-class kids go to very specific schools etc. I was once at a meet up in Glasgow and a uni student from England went on about the complex travails her parents went through to make sure she didn't go to a comprehensive. All us Scottish people - which included people from inner city, suburbs, rural Scotland were like 'we just went to the local school.'

On Jack:

I'm not convinced she has taken the kitten to three vets as I'm pretty sure we'd have been treated to the same kind of blow by blow account. I agree with the person up thread who thinks she doesn't have a plan. If Jack's a narc, I don't think she can see ahead beyond the next bit of supply.

On SB, I mentioned on an earlier thread that narcs tend to turn on their kids as they got older because they become not so good at providing supply. They become their own person with their own thoughts and friends and life when the narc wants them to be fueling their needs.

Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.