Jack Monroe #44 Spoiler

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think she gave herself away when she said Miguel Barclay was 'all up in her niche' on the first Hellmans instalive. She sees this 'poor' thing as her niche which she cannot break away from. Even though she could still sell her books targeted towards that market without still claiming to be poor herself. It's nonsensical and insincere.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
I think you're right, I also think that she has to kind of be the poorest in her group if you get what I mean. She needs to be the victim- giving space to people currently up tit creek would, in her 'weird brain' almost make her feel less than. so the upshot is that it's all about her and not people struggling in society.
Exactly. That’s her only strong identity - validated by the previous book sales to her similarly poor brethren. She is stuck in a vicious circle. One that she is totally capable of escaping. But is too arrogant/ignorant/blind of

Reactions: 13
Fellow Archers fan here, but not in lockdown..it’s tit. Has anything happened, and does anyone know when it will be back to normal?

*I know this is off topic but to bring it back...my mate who grew up WC once said she knew I was from a MC background because I listen to The Archers!
I'm about two weeks behind. Kirsty and Phillip's wedding is thankfully not looking likely to go ahead anytime soon. Kate is menopausal. Jill lost her bees!

I grew up in an ex council house, which was very normal here, at that time the whole village was council or ex council housing. Ex mining village, surrounded by farms. Central Scotland people will know the sort of area im speaking about. Dad had a trade, mum stayed at home. Some of the family were/are professionals. Some aren't.

This might swing it though... we did have a landrover, and I listen to The Archers. CLASSIFY ME MOFOS 😄

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
I think she gave herself away when she said Miguel Barclay was 'all up in her niche' on the first Hellmans instalive. She sees this 'poor' thing as her niche which she cannot break away from. Even though she could still sell her books targeted towards that market without still claiming to be poor herself. It's nonsensical and insincere.
Totally agree and I've said this several times. I do think though that she's so stuck in this rhetoric that she honestly has nothing else to offer. She's a one trick pony.

Reactions: 23
I can't bear how she's always described as 'ex food-bank user'. This could mean she used a food bank ONE time. Or any at all? Not like we can prove it. Maybe she saw a ripe looking bandwagon. She is far from the face of poverty in the UK. The way she talks about money...you can tell that £1,000 to her is a penny to others.
Don't know why but just made me think of a scene in As Good As it Gets where Jack N's character looses patience with the artist who is depressed. He say's something like 'you're an embarrassment to depression' I know I shouldn't joke but she hasn't a clue, just not a one about poverty in a financial or socio-economic sense. I respect anyones challenges in life as I'm aware it can be about resilience, support networks and life's challenges are relative, I get that. But it irks me that she exploits her experiences and dare I say it... fibs and embellishes too.

ETA- Just googled it "disgrace to depression" not embarrassment

Last edited:
Reactions: 16
Yes. Her niche. Not his. He doesn’t feed slop. No one eats slop. People like texture. Crunch. Bite. All of that can also be done on a very tight budget. She’s so far off the mark with her pitch and USP.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Yes. Her niche. Not his. He doesn’t feed slop. No one eats slop. People like texture. Crunch. Bite. All of that can also be done on a very tight budget. She’s so far off the mark with her pitch and USP.
It's pathetic, anyone working towards a worthwhile goal for truly altruistic reasons would, IMO be thrilled at others having the same mindset.

Reactions: 19
Isa would LOVE Tattle 🤣

I think Jack is a massive narcissistic fantasist and she found a formula that catapulted her out of her MC origins and into the upper class blue tick world where they probably treated her like a novelty spoilt pet. Now she's had a taste of that she won't relinquish her position and I think that is why she has to keep her name in the media but she also thrives on ANY attention. Which is kind of sad because it suggests a lack of deep meaningful friendships and of course relationships. I do think she has been partly shaped by having a potentially similar mum and a childhood where competing with foster siblings felt necessary.

The kitten is definitely an accessory and means to keep her current and she obviously hopes it will be a ticket on to Supervet. I don't doubt the poor thing is actually much younger than 10 weeks and it definitely sounds like it was bought from a breeder or from an accidental litter perhaps. No reputable rescue would ever rehome without involving their own vet and paperwork relating to age, health vaccines and so on. I don't think Jack plots too far in advance but I do wonder if she wanted a disabled cat from the outset.

• Wow
Reactions: 26
Isa would LOVE Tattle 🤣

I think Jack is a massive narcissistic fantasist and she found a formula that catapulted her out of her MC origins and into the upper class blue tick world where they probably treated her like a novelty spoilt pet. Now she's had a taste of that she won't relinquish her position and I think that is why she has to keep her name in the media but she also thrives on ANY attention. Which is kind of sad because it suggests a lack of deep meaningful friendships and of course relationships. I do think she has been partly shaped by having a potentially similar mum and a childhood where competing with foster siblings felt necessary.

The kitten is definitely an accessory and means to keep her current and she obviously hopes it will be a ticket on to Supervet. I don't doubt the poor thing is actually much younger than 10 weeks and it definitely sounds like it was bought from a breeder or from an accidental litter perhaps. No reputable rescue would ever rehome without involving their own vet and paperwork relating to age, health vaccines and so on. I don't think Jack plots too far in advance but I do wonder if she wanted a disabled cat from the outset.
I sometimes wonder if she has attachment stuff going on that it would be worthwhile working on.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Isa would LOVE Tattle 🤣

I think the kitten is her best distraction from her latest disasters. It’s certainly got her twitter gang fawning all over her again. It’s quite hideous

Reactions: 12
I think this is precisely how JM gets away with it with so many people - we're uncomfortable hearing that people are suffering in a society we're brought up to believe to be enlightened and meritocratic but is actually as stratified as, like, feudal times. She never would have gotten famous without her MC links to journalists and her stories aren't even the bottom of the barrel.

Not to be a buzzkill or anything, because I also feel the need to be flippant sometimes when confronted with persistent woe. But it's still an interesting reflection on the reality of it.
I appreciate your balanced and well articulated reply and totally understand what you mean (and I really don’t mean that in a patronising way at all so I hope it doesn’t sound like that).
I think this is precisely how JM gets away with it with so many people - we're uncomfortable hearing that people are suffering in a society we're brought up to believe to be enlightened and meritocratic but is actually as stratified as, like, feudal times. She never would have gotten famous without her MC links to journalists and her stories aren't even the bottom of the barrel.

Not to be a buzzkill or anything, because I also feel the need to be flippant sometimes when confronted with persistent woe. But it's still an interesting reflection on the reality of it.
I’m not disputing that she’s claiming to be one thing when she’s another and that there’s a societal issue that needs to be rectified.

I’m not always great at expressing myself, basically I miss the more lighthearted days of forearms, seeds and that gross carrot overnight thing.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Just want to say that I absolutely love the chat about class that has come out of this. I loved the nostalgia trip many threads ago too. I wish there were more places like this on the internet!

I don’t know how to express this properly so bear with me, but there’s something missing from mainstream British culture where society can be critiqued in a way that isn’t pure navel gazing w*nk. I feel like in the past bands like the manics would have given this kind of conversation a bigger audience. I think (might be wrong) there’s also a weird thing happening with the media where being a struggling working class person is fetished as a noble and authentic way to live (also ‘edgy’). So maybe that’s why you end up with people doing a (chaos) cosplay?

My dad is WC who become MC and he’s fine with that. He’s so so so so grateful to have a comfortable life. I feel like a particular part of the British media couldn’t actually cope with this totally understandable feeling and would be confused that my dad can’t see the advantage in being his ‘authentic’ and ‘edgy’ WC self.

I’m not living in the uk anymore and I’ve found it refreshing that there’s not any of that unsaid class scanning that goes on - London is horrendous for it from MC people (I’m MC and I despise it!)

Sorry for the essay, it appears it is me who is the navel gazing w*nker 🤦‍♀️

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
I’m not always great at expressing myself, basically I miss the more lighthearted days of forearms, seeds and that gross carrot overnight thing.
Totally, me too. Those halcyon days of laughing at horse spunk and her tech issues, before we got onto the fact that she may be Satan's representative in Southend. x

• Haha
Reactions: 38
It is really interesting and could easily be its own thread...but if you ever want to see photos of Jack in her grey pants writhing on her kitchen units again or reinventing herself as a modern deity...we have to verge off slightly.
*We also know Jack reads this so it’s a good education for her too!
Is it me or are certain areas around the legs a little - odd, kinda blurry?

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Do we think there’s going to be a Patreonesque announcement regarding the cat later? The update to come hint ...?

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
Especially when she claims to live in a tiny village without a supermarket or whatever it was she said recently, I live in London and would struggle to find 3 vets within walking distance ? Her latest insta about her ovaries is just... didn’t she say once she never had felt maternal ? Haven’t had time to read the last thread so glad I didn’t miss anything. I feel awful for this poor cat, I hate this attitude which seems so prevalent now/since brexit , of ignoring experts 😡
I feel awful for her poor son if she says she’s never felt maternal

• Sad
Reactions: 16
She just can’t bleeping resist trying to make herself look like an urchin at every opportunity. “Having to do everything by myself since forever”.
I think this is a clear resentment that she holds against her parents, she mentions it time & time again. That and home ownership. I think she was probably expecting them to give her a leg up tbh.

It also, again, betrays her delusion/narrative...

Reactions: 23
Totally, me too. Those halcyon days of laughing at horse spunk and her tech issues, before we got onto the fact that she may be Satan's representative in Southend. x
Ol' Nick himself wouldn't tolerate her tit. Can you imagine it

'Yes, thank you for coming to interview today, let's have a quick look around, shall we? Here we have the eternal immolation chamber'

'That's nothing, compared to when I COULDN'T PUT THE HEATING ON',

'OK, so there is being boiled in hot oil over there' 'I CHEWED MY OWN LIP DOWN TO THE NERVE',

' - Um, yes, quite. We've a thriving little centre for crushing the Damned under rocks and spearing with red hot pokers here -'

'I carried a 93kg sideboard and a three year with my bare hands AND I STOOD ON GLASS'

'Rightyho. Actually, how would you feel about having an outreach position within the organisation, no need to relocate that way, which might fit in more with your domestic responsibilities?'

'SHE. LEFT. SHE. LEFT. SHE. LEFT.'

'Ah. Could you give me a moment, please?' [Demonicom Mobile Service Ringtone and a voice like a Heavenly Bell says 'Yes?']

'Gabriel, Dear boy. How the Dev - how are you, old chap? Good. Yes, well, obviously you would be good. I'm in a bit of a pickle down here, would we possibly be able to arrange some sort of secondment for a candidate? Well, the thing is that our candidate seems well qualified, but they've got this amazing ability to be incredibly sanctimonious, patronising and, frankly, quite preachy, which I thought would be right up your CEO's street. We'd be happy to take say, Johnny Cash in exchange, as the music's getting a bit repetitive down here and you do already have Elvis and Roy Orbison and Karen Carpenter, amongst others. Oh, you've not got Elvis? Well, I never, I did wonder about that chap in the chipshop. Now we know. Hmmm. We theoretically could let you borrow Paganini, but he is due to give me my next lesson on Tuesday, so we'd need him back. Tell you what, if I throw in Robert Johnson for a couple of hundred years, they knock your Heavenly Hordes Choir into shape and we call it a deal? Marvellous.'

'Sorry about the delay. Right, we've found you a wonderful position on a cloud. I think the post will really, really suit your particular skillset and abilities, so if you'd like to step into the transportation pod, one of our Hellish Minions will take you to your new supervisor. Oh, the pleasure is all mine, have a nice Afterlife'

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 59
I also think the kitten makes her feel needed. It’s satisfying a huge gap in her life. Everyone has left her. We know why. Her son, I think, is mostly parented elsewhere. I don’t think he has many hours with her. For , to me obvious reasons but maybe not. But this kitten needs her. In her head it does. She’s totally alone now so this is giving her the endorphins that the rest of us get from our children, partners, friends, normal life etc.
The kitten can’t answer back.

• Sad
Reactions: 34
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.