Jack Monroe #44 Spoiler

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes! She’s made it sound like she’s in chicken run: the movie 😂 I reckon it was a gumtree acquisition, an easy hole to fall into as you peruse for cotswold co wares.

Although on battery hens, I know a pet hoarder who “rescued” 3 of them and they all died within weeks / months, I’m not sure if that’s standard but it’s bad init isn’t it ironic their life expectancy post rescue was probably in line with their pre rescue one... how do you come to terms with that 😬
oh she deffo got the cat off gumtree or pets4homes etc. If a friend I knew was breeding cats and let a kitten go to a new home in that condition I’d be reporting them and cutting them out my circle!

I guess you have to think that at least they hopefully had a couple of weeks of freedom and space before their time was up? I’d be distraught though! Someone I know took in a load and they had a lovely life but then a badger got in the run and decimated the whole flock he was gutted.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
Also if you know that ultimately you do have a loving family ready to step in and help.... it’s not quite the same is it ????? I just cannot imagine how it must be to have no income. No food. No idea how you are going to cope. Our washing machine broke totally last week and fortunately we could get another. For a lot of people that would be a no go situation for a while.
This is such a huge privilege and advantage which again is unrecognised. I have this, my family home is big enough that I can go home if things go badly wrong. I do recognise the comfort this gives me. I know and have always know someone has my back. It meant after uni I could work and save and travel. After 18months I came home skint but I had somewhere to live. I could also go back to uni because I had a fall back. It allowed me to take risks.

My parents don’t help me financially but I know they could and I recognise now (Probably not when I was younger) that there is level of stress that I don’t carry because I could ask for help if I was stuck. Yes I would have to push my pride aside to ask.

And that is where Jack baffles me, why didn’t she just ask for help from her family when she was poor for a short time?

• Heart
Reactions: 24
When I started work I realised the biggest determiner of success was the ability to be like these people and chat a certain way not actual intelligence / qualifications? It was really shocking and quite heart breaking tbh. I had definitely drunk some of the MC juice cos I genuinely thought life would be easier now I’d endured 3 years at a redbrick (btw let’s not get into the essay of the uni experience when you’re not posh and/or minted) to get my first class BSc it’d just be chill here on out? I didn’t realise how cringe and uncomfortable a professional spaces would be for me, like it sounds am dram but in assimilating or code switching there is some level of self betrayal and mask wearing and it grinds you down. I have never enjoyed it.
You articulated exactly how I feel! And have felt. That I've had to betray my WC roots in order to be more successful in academia, tweak my accent etc. and that it would then be easier to fit in. It's definitely not the case.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Wow - so much truth, and too much to address with a short reply. Could this whole subject not justify its own separate thread to avoid going off-topic?
Yes it probably could but I love how this thread talks about the bigger issues around Jack but that are all linked to Jack.
I think it would be a shame if every time we go slightly off topic it has to go and be a new thread. If this is literally Just Jack then I am off. I like the breadth of chat.

*Realise there is a lot of I in that sentence, if others disagree I am fine with that, it’s not an airport I wouldn’t announce my departure😉

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
Sorry - I am new here. I wasn't saying it should be discussed elsewhere, but just going by what the site seemed to want. I will delete to avoid confusion.
Hey, don't fret, it was obviously crossed wires. Welcome to the thread Beryl 👋🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Sorry - I am new here. I wasn't saying it should be discussed elsewhere, but just going by what the site seemed to want. I will delete to avoid confusion.
Welcome, welcome, welcome!

So the thing about this thread is is that we are a bit naughty, we follow the rules and stay on topic...but the topic is wide with Jack so it pretty much encompasses everything!

(We get away with it for the most part because if we go too much off topic Jack will do a chaos and bring it back to her, I think the mods slip her a note!)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
I am still randomly bursting out laughing about the fact that Jack came back and tried to post a flounce and the admin just deleted it. Haaaaaaaahahhaa. Embarrassing.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 65
I am still randomly bursting out laughing about the fact that Jack came back and tried to post a flounce and the admin just deleted it. Haaaaaaaahahhaa. Embarrassing.
She could have at least filmed herself spinning on her heel and giphed it for us!

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Whaaaaaaat - I missed this?? When did that happen? I've been BUSY recently.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Yes it probably could but I love how this thread talks about the bigger issues around Jack but that are all linked to Jack.
I think it would be a shame if every time we go slightly off topic it has to go and be a new thread. If this is literally Just Jack then I am off. I like the breadth of chat.

*Realise there is a lot of I in that sentence, if others disagree I am fine with that, it’s not an airport I wouldn’t announce my departure😉
I love how this thread opens up a breadth of chat as well - that is all linked to her, as you say.
If we just talked about her, it would be pretty frustrating.

Welcome @Beryl_Black !

Reactions: 23
I have a feeling she'll have figured that into her '3 vets' claim - there's no way she, personally, has been to 3 vets with the kitten.
Possibly a bit of smoke and mirrors here. It’s quite easy to say 3 vets if they all work at the same practice, without it being a ‘formal’ second opinion. She did say the whole practice had swooned over the kitten!

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I just thought it was a great subject, with some really thought-provoking and truthful insights. I am sure some people here could be writers in real life.
It is really interesting and could easily be its own thread...but if you ever want to see photos of Jack in her grey pants writhing on her kitchen units again or reinventing herself as a modern deity...we have to verge off slightly.
*We also know Jack reads this so it’s a good education for her too!

Attachments

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 30
This feels a little like a couple of the comments are turning into a competition of who can be the poorest of the poor, which is exactly what JM has been slated for doing. Don’t want to give her the satisfaction of seeing it tbh 🤣

But that's the point - it isn't a competition; it is what people's lives are actually like. They aren't a brief period of unpleasantness (which could have been solved instantly by phoning Dad), they are like this because that's how it is and you aren't going to get yourself a twenty seven grand a year job, shag a multimillionaire or have a mate give you details of who to contact for a sad face feature in the press. To accuse people of making it into a competition when it is purely the tit you have had to deal with is a very dismissive middleclass thing to do.

If you were actually some of the poorest of the poor, then saying 'I think that having had TB aged five and nobody noticed because I was always ill anyway, thanks to the state of the house and lack of heating, is more damning of the spoilt little MC princess laughing at people for saying they hadn't had roast beef and implying they must have made it up for attention' is not game playing. It's not laying into anybody's hands. It's not letting the side down by being truthful.

I was one of the poorest of the poor. I'm not that far out of now. It's not a competition I ever particularly wanted to be entered into, frankly. Especially when the MC are attempting to set the discourse to discredit voices like mine and put theirs, yet again, to the forefront.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.