Jack Monroe #437 C U Next Wednesday

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Mince pies with melted cheese? Does that sound normal and nice to other people?
My Lancashire relatives eat their Christmas cake with a bit of sharp Cheddar on the side, as is apparently tradition up Yorks/Lancs way, so I just texted one of them to see how they would feel about a mince-pie filled toastie, either with or without melted cheese inside, expecting them to have a giggle over it.

Got a response of "What a brilliant idea, we'll do that at New Year when you come for a visit!"

...I may be regretting my actions a little bit here...

Reactions: 70
Those screenshots! Jack, the reason the speech you've been giving for the last seven years has had so little impact, is because it's made up shite but people were too embarrassed to call you out. Sure, they'll be a few upper middle class saps sitting there with their eyes out on stalks but most other people are sitting there thinking 'is it me, or is she full of it?'.

Reactions: 38
I haven't dared look in case Amazon thinks I'm interested and she shows up on the home screen of the app from then on
This has sadly happened to me. Although the stunt hair amuses me every time, so it’s not all bad.

Reactions: 29
I think Jack was very frightened by it (and I suspect was probably told by at least one person she shouldn’t be which isn’t really fair to a kid) but I also think it got her attention. Mama H was clearly quite rattled by it and I wonder if, like the birth mark, it meant her attention was focused on Jack not the foster children for a short period.

She really seems to have the impression you only get attention/sympathy if you’re ill or if something traumatic has happened and I genuinely think that’s rooted in the fostering, which also explains her resentment towards the foster children. It’s probably not that uncommon a feeling/impression for children in that situation, but Jack is unique that she’s not grown out of it.

Reactions: 49

also, grandpa joe was on coke

Reactions: 41
Summarised like that really makes you realise what a totally deranged arsehole she is. That's not bloody normal.

Reactions: 35
Does any else want the 'lawd have mercy' comedian on Tiktok/reels to script some stuff around a Jack recipe? I so so wish she would get on Tiktok.

'This is ready to go!'

'Ready to go in the bin'.

Like I can actually picture it. Manifesting this for 2023 please

Reactions: 24
This is the blurb around Jack being number two most effective communicator of the year
Hilarious. Bizarrely they even included Mom's begging tweet as an example of her celebrity friends endorsing her message
That Man is at 19, and the self regarding prat Baddiel is in there too.
Spoilered as quite long.

Reactions: 65
*rushes in waving twitter excitedly*

JACK! JACK! I'VE FOUND THE PERFECT BACK COVER BLURB FOR YOUR AUTOBIOGRAPHY!

Reactions: 69
Also saying that just tweeting about it isn’t helping… erm pot … (cooper) kettle… black??

Reactions: 25
My mum was a children and families social worker and this was one of the things that contributed to my fuckedupness c-PTSD because I felt completely sidelined and like my feelings didn’t matter (not a direct path from mum’s career to this outcome, other factors contributed). So I can absolutely empathise with Jack there. However, I didn’t grow up to be a scamming, lying grifter so make of that what you will.

IT’S CALLED DUE DILIGENCE FFS. Someone get these people a fact checker.

Reactions: 45
That sounds really tough. I have a friend whose parents took in foster children and when Jack came up, she said she could understand the resentment. As an adult my friend has grown out of it and says she realises with hindsight that everything was more complicated than it seemed, but it was rough for her as a child because the constant stream of “you should be thankful” wasn’t/isn’t actually a great response to a child who felt starved of attention or was upset. It also sounds like Jack’s parents prided themselves on taking particularly challenging children which is admirable and absolutely worthy of praise - but perhaps makes it more likely they took up a lot of space and that Jack could have felt neglected.

She’s responsible for her own actions as an adult of course, but I think it’s where it comes from.

Reactions: 33
I think she was about 5 or 6 and the woman took her hand.

Also around the time of the fostering starting, she was having the trips to GOSH for her birthmarks. So hospital did equal attention. Especially as she was being usurped from her position of baby of the family.

Last edited:
Reactions: 34
Surely Grift and Griftability has to be a contender for thread title, am sure someone suggested it further back.

Reactions: 28
I’ve been reading these to my husband and he’s as excited as me!
I hope you do the voices!

The only issue with GRIFT and GRIFTABILITY as a thread title is that the story will last another two weeks exactly, so while it would appear in that thread, it would also appear in earlier and later ones. But no problem really.

Reactions: 19
Oh I do hope she breaks cover tonight for the kickyball!

I would love some Jackommentary
Any Liverpool players playing?
I haven't got a clue but I presume Jack doesn't either.
That loving them was a strange interlude, even for her.

Reactions: 29
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.