Jack Monroe #433 Let them eat copies of Thrifty Kitchen

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We had enough but also mum and dad didn't eat dinner because there wasn't enough food. I think I'd find her less annoying if she just picked a lie and stuck to it.

Disappointed not to hear any reference to BIg Daves humiliating trousers.
Can we have 'Pick a lie and stick to it' as the šŸ§µtitle?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 65
Narc rail This chore list reminds me of someone I know who has 4 kids. She has managed to allocate all the housework,cleaning etc so she can sit in her arse all day. She buys the cheapest food to feed them but ensures she gets the best. I'll never gorges going to s cafe, kids were ordered plates of chips while
Hopefully Coops has done something like this.
(An oldie but goodie tweet šŸ˜¹)

View attachment 1764123
When we moved to our new build many years ago, the show house was next door. I found out from the sales rep that my ginger cat used to go in and nap on the beds through the day when we were out at work. It was a Wimpey estate and at the time all their advertising blurb had a ginger cat on. I should have charged them performance fees!

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
I'm glad reading these posts a few of us parents are on a par with what we do and what the kids do, all have extra needs here.
Ref door handles, bizarre seeing it on a list, something I might do very infrequently, kids would never dream of it, although early days of covid when we were ill my eldest chose to swab the door handles and they did carry the bug šŸ™ˆšŸ¤¢šŸ¤®
I really really hope sb is predominantly with his dad, sad for her mum if she can't see him as much as she'd like tho.
He looks so sweet. I really hope he isnt calling her mama anymore, it feels really sinister šŸ˜”
The 'mama' thing, it's always come across to me like it isn't what he naturally calls her, but what she wants to be known as. Something about how she refers to herself as that a lot, writes it everywhere etc, just gives me that impression. Would not be surprised if she pushes that on him.

@reCAPTCHA - another vote here for That Man, Cook With Jamie is a good one for a lot of the basics, also Ministry of Food.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
My son only calls me Mama, MaMaaaa, Mother if he's tapping me up for Ā£20 or wants me to do something like give him and his mates lifts/pick ups at 1am šŸ„ŗšŸ˜‚.
I call my dad Papa (as in the Nicole! Papa! car adverts from the 80s) or Vater, because it's still as funny as it was when I started learning German.

Late to this, but re the interesting discussion about what we want from Jack. What I most want is her to stop sharing her ill informed, downright unhelpful, self-centred, reductive opinions.

It's insulting to imply that food bank users can't cook. It's not helpful to suggest faffing around making soup from several tins of soup when you're skint. It's not helpful to dick around with maverick taste combinations when you don't want to waste anything and there's likely to be at least one member of the household who won't like it. It's really irresponsible to keep on bleating about being too scared to open brown envelopes and ignore debts, gambling on the luck to meet a new rich fiancƩ to sort out your money problems. And it's mostly really unhelpful to see someone making the same mistakes, still not learning anything after over a decade in the public eye.

Phew, I didn't mean to go on there...you get the picture.

I know it won't happen, but I would love Jack to own up to her mistakes and learn from them. Not holding my breath though. On that topic, of course I want her to carry on BREATHING and ideally, sort herself out.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
The 'mama' thing, it's always come across to me like it isn't what he naturally calls her, but what she wants to be known as. Something about how she refers to herself as that a lot, writes it everywhere etc, just gives me that impression. Would not be surprised if she pushes that on him.

@reCAPTCHA - another vote here for That Man, Cook With Jamie is a good one for a lot of the basics, also Ministry of Food.
+1. Absolutely no shade to Billericay but I canā€™t imagine there are many preteens calling their parents mama or papa unless they are shipped out of borough to a boarding school? My toddler laughs at one of her babies that goes ā€œmamaā€ and sheā€™s hardly from the Bronx?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
That list is horrific. She's a bleeping control freak, and that poor lad has no choice but to deal with her purely because she's one of his parents. I wouldn't be surprised if he cuts off all contact as soon as he's old enough.

No wonder she's incapable of maintaining a relationship with anyone.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
My mum tried so hard to make a granddaughter call her all sorts of things - Mamgu, Meema Etc.. the grandaughter has started calling her Wendy and she wonā€™t stop. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 59
Mama annoys me because it puts Bohemian Rhapsody in my head and I could do without that.

šŸŽµ Mamaaa,
Just killed a man,
Fed him pumble
Now he's deadšŸŽµ

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 57
I know many disagree but I don't think kids should do anything if the mother doesn't work as jack doesn't. Let kids be kids. They have enough on with school and homework. My mum never worked but had me cooking full roast dinners for the whole family while she harangued an raged at a 10 yr old not doing it right. I didn't get anything from it except a feeling of never being able to relax in my own home. Some friends said I'd feel differently when I had my own - not the case, just reinforced how utterly wrong it was. She's a horror for that list. An sharing it as if expecting kudos is just bizarre.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 75
The list is more showing off. The ā€you pee on itā€ smacks of something she wrote purely for an audience.

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 49
Fortunately thatā€™s never, ever going to happen. It would have HUGELY pissed me off had I been one of the students graduating at her honorary graduation 1 and honorary graduation 2 though. It would have also pissed me off at my actual earned PhD graduation years before too, but I didnā€™t go to it, deliberately to SPITE future Jack. Needless to say I had the last laugh.

ETA and if she ever DOES get another one (not that she ever will) needless to say, I will have the DOUBLE last laugh by going and shouting as loudly as I possibly can SHOULD HAVE KEPT YOUR LEGS CLOSED as she is announced as a recipient, to take her down a peg or two. make sure she knows her place and all the list of other things sheā€™s been incessantly told in her eventful life of peepul being MEAN and not realizing how SPESHULL she is.
On my graduation day, šŸ”ŗthe honorary doctorate was awarded to Baroness May Blood, and she got a standing ovation for her brilliant speech. She was a true working class hero who ended up in the House of Lords. She talked about her fellow peers talking about their country estates ā€˜so I just talked about my estate. On the Shankill Roadā€™. I just looked her up and sad to see that she has just recently died. Sheā€™s worth a Google for anyone interested in what real working class women can achieve.

• Heart
Reactions: 59
Random thought-
the chore list post, she says the small butterfly items are for no reward (as they are part of a ā€œhealthy, functioning householdā€ then of course there are all the digs at SB for making mess, and the tweet moaning about ā€œthis is a quarter of what I do every day as well as workā€¦ā€

Somebody gave her a telling off for the house being a tit tip, didnā€™t they?

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 65
Yet again Jack finds a way to make things as faffy and time consuming as possible. The only time I ever meticulously weigh out blobs of mixture is when I'm making cake pops and that's only because the bastard things don't stay on the stick if they're too heavy. Ninnies, life is too short to spend weighing balls of dough. Guesstimating is fine, no one will know!
And Nadiya does it without all that faff - ā€˜Roll out into a sausage shape and divide into 5 equal pieces. Divide each one into 5, so you have 25 little dough ballsā€™. Because sheā€™s an actual professional.

Reactions: 32
On my graduation day, šŸ”ŗthe honorary doctorate was awarded to Baroness May Blood, and she got a standing ovation for her brilliant speech. She was a true working class hero who ended up in the House of Lords. She talked about her fellow peers talking about their country estates ā€˜so I just talked about my estate. On the Shankill Roadā€™. I just looked her up and sad to see that she has just recently died. Sheā€™s worth a Google for anyone interested in what real working class women can achieve.
Quoting myself (again, must subdue my massive ego) I just remembered the other thing about my graduation. I went to collect my gown and evidently anyone who knew anything was on a tea break. Wee fella asked me my height, I reply Five Seven. I get my gown and stupidly donā€™t try it on before I leave the basement location. I put it on outside. Frauen und Herren, it was so big I looked like Gandalf. I looked at the label. Wee fella had given me a gown that was 57ā€ from nape to hem. I had to get my degree whilst trying not to fall over. Ah, good times.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 42
I think she probably had sex with someone in exchange for something once and itā€™s embellished into the ā€œI was a sex workerā€ story.

ETA: not even for money - I have a friend who had an arrangement with a man where he took for her expensive meals then they had sex, an FWB type thing they both seemed entirely happy with. I can see Jack spinning that into a ā€œI was a sex workerā€ situation.
Isnā€™t this just marriage? šŸ˜…

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Everytime I see Jack's comments about Mama, I can't help but think about the Genesis song, "Mama", which is about a bloke obsessed with a prostitute who is not interested in him. He has an Oedipal fixation on her and insists on calling her "Mama." Mama, MAMAAAAAAAAA Please....

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
The mampapa thing that he definitely definitely called her is the biggest cringe aswell as it foisting gender identity teaching onto him. Kids can make up their own minds on that one as adults

Reactions: 31
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.