Jack Monroe #427 Frugal home cooking based on lived experience (now contested)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's absolutely mental to me that a person with no qualifications is allowed to release a book in the first place. How does it make sense? No food technology expertise, food safety, no knowledge of nutrition, no writing skill. The books are totally thrown together and are reminiscent of a last-minute piece of GCSE coursework for which you'd get a D. She's getting these book deals based on what? A large Twitter following?
She has a D in GCSE food technology!

• Haha
Reactions: 35
Have to say. As much as I understand Molly trying to be anonymous. I am an EEA immigrant, I don't appreciate people pretend to be that. Same like I don't appreciate Jack pulling immigrant card as second/third gen tbh.
I am somewhat disappointed in Molly with this. Doesn't take away from her work but it does make me wary? Not sure how to explain. I did wonder about her education (wow which school you went to you lucky bugger!) because thst was better than native level of English on someone who has been here less than 5 years😂 envy😂
I have known for a while that Molly is a native speaker and I wanted to comment on it numerous times but I know we’re not supposed to do the sideshow chat. However I do think it’s warranted in this case.

One of the few joys of academia is meeting people from all corners of the globe. However all the super smart professors and students I meet whose second, third and even fourth language is English have quirks of sentence construction or idiom. Two of my closest friends throughout my PhD are Polish and Lithuanian and there are quite specific things they say which aren’t incorrect English but they don’t read native. I never picked up on any of this with “Molly”.

I get the anonymity because Jack and her rabid fans are spiteful, awful people. But why - as a middle class woman - appropriate a marginalised identity to criticise this? Moreover it sort of muddies your entire critique when you now admit that you are doing the exact same as your target.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 66
Oh I've just seen what this is in reference to. Good grief.

ETA obviously you'd want to be anonymous. Why make up a totally false back story though, especially one in which you lie about being an immigrant?
People lie on the internet to appear more sympathetic. Who knew?

• Heart
Reactions: 40
*I never picked up on any of this with “Molly”.

Same here and I was confused then mightily impressed thinking maybe she went to one of the English schools there.

And exactly. She could have well pretend to be British from completely different area. There was no need for talk about settled status etc. Absolutely none. Such a shame

• Sad
Reactions: 48
Apologies if this has been posted already, but this appears to be the press release for the publishing industry about Bluebird acquiring the book. Featuring lavish praise from Jack's agent and Bluebird's publisher ("national treasure" :sick: "best-loved expert on budget cooking" :sick: ) plus some typically overwritten comments from Jack herself. "Frugality can be exhausting, complicated and overwhelming; I’ve tried here to make some elements of it genuinely enjoyable, simple and very gently life-changing instead." Yes, I'm sure the people freezing because of fuel costs, and lining up at food banks, find their situation "genuinely enjoyable"....

Omg the fact they’ve had to crop the hairline out of this photo and yet we can still tell what a tragic wig it is

BED488DD-BFAC-4515-8FC8-BA067D0CF48B.jpeg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 62
I’m not that bothered that Molly isn’t Romanian/Hungarian. Her allowing that persona was quite telling when the Jack Fans/FMs quickly leapt on her lack of “settled status” as some kindof gotcha.

I also think she was correct to be anonymous too after what happened to that head teacher. I’m just not sure why she’s outed herself now…but hey ho

ETA: Effin iPhone auto correct 😡

• Heart
Reactions: 64
I’m not that bothered that Molly isn’t Romanian/Hungarian. Her allowing that persona was quite telling when the Jack Fans/FMs quickly leapt on her lack of “settled status” as some kindof gotcha.

I also think she was correct to be anonymous too after what happened to that head teacher. I’m just not sure why she’s outed herself now…but hey ho

Yes being sympathetic (for no real reason) I wonder if it was something she said to prove the flying monkeys would 'go for'. They did, of course...

Reactions: 40
Can we just draw a line for good on all these clout chasers. It's nothing to do with jack with all these nobodies trying to get attention.

Tattle is about public figures, not anyone on the internet spinning tit for the endorphin hits.

• Heart
Reactions: 61

I have no inside info so just speculating here but a squig I mentioned on the last thread has a podcast and said they'd love to have Molly on as a guest. Perhaps things are happening *behind the scenes*.

I think Molly was right to adopt a false persona but the choice seems a little off, it's hardly Rachel Dolzeal but pretending not have settled status when you're a British citizen doesn't sit well with me. That said she's owned up (take note Jack) and none of the points she made were dependent on her immigration status or nationality so personally I'm happy to leave it at that. I will 🍾 🦉 for a decade if Jack tries to make something of it.

• Heart
Reactions: 62
Omg the fact they’ve had to crop the hairline out of this photo and yet we can still tell what a tragic wig it is

View attachment 1729628
Every time I see this photo I just think of her queuing for beigels in Stamford Hill.

Can we just draw a line for good on all these clout chasers. It's nothing to do with jack with all these nobodies trying to get attention.

Tattle is about public figures, not anyone on the internet spinning tit for the endorphin hits.
True but it raises really interesting points. The Molly threads and blogs gained traction in a way that Tattle doesn’t because 1) the meat of the matter is hard to find amongst the in-jokes and chat here, and 2) we are dismissed as sad little hausfraus and the female-coded “gossip” we engage in isn’t considered legitimate by many people on Twitter. So Molly garnered legitimacy by using all of the material the archivists of Tattle had carefully captured and curated but removing the gossipy voice. It’s the same thing that allowed Jack to become famous as the palatable voice of the poor.

Anyway I’ll leave it now but let’s hope there are no more threads of “reveals” about Hellman’s non-events or similar because this was literally me reading that:

8EA18061-133B-49C6-9231-25D742B8C560.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 97
Jack really needs to make an arse of herself soon before we are reduced to threads about that time a squig saw someone, who they're almost certain was Jack, trying to return a pair of pants in M&S and being really arsey with the assistant.

• Haha
Reactions: 72
I haven't thought about Liz Jones in years, and from what I can remember she was extremely annoying and 'me me me whiny' - but she was also a huge animal lover/rescuer. As silly as it sounds, that somewhat redeems her in my eyes. Monroe doesn't even have that going for her. Far from it.

I really hope I'm not about to find out that LJ has been accused of animal cruelty or something like that in recent years :oops:
I’m afraid you are 😡 she ‘rescued' a horse from someone I know, it did not end well

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 55
I hope AM hasn’t made that confession because she’s going to reveal herself and try to get some sort of Twitter clout out of this. Or even worse, trying to build a media profile. She is better off staying anonymous.

Anyhoo… moving on. I had to take a chair to a dump this weekend and now I need to do a recount.

• Haha
Reactions: 42
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.