Jack Monroe #427 Frugal home cooking based on lived experience (now contested)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm really pleased to hear Mary Berry is nice for some reason.

There's a shakshuka recipe in her latest book that is genuinely cheap to make and really delicious. You just know if the slopgibbon made it, it would contain rat entrails or something.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 82
If you're in your 60s then you should know that renting is more precarious than buying because, err, you read your rental contracts and you know the law about being evicted. So why would you pay that much money to decorate a place you can be asked to leave? Makes absolutely no sense.

You daft mare:
More on Liz's thread but yes, she did do all that, then when her landlord put the house up for sale she tried to stall it and tried to insist that the designer bath and fridge not be included in the sale

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 47
More on Liz's thread but yes, she did do all that, then when her landlord put the house up for sale she tried to stall it and tried to insist that the designer bath and fridge not be included in the sale
Argh I've got so much work to do today, yet I feel the gravitational pull of the Tattle rabbithole

• Haha
Admittedly coming at this from a position of ignorance, but does this happen? Wouldn’t they just cut you off rather than break into your house to install a prepaid meter??
From Citizens' Advice:
You can't be cut off for owing money to your energy supplier unless your supplier has tried to find ways for you to pay back that money. This has to include talking to you about payment plans, prepayment meters and payments directly from any benefits you get.
They have to give notice for fitting a prepayment meter (you shouldn't ignore brown envelopes, Jack), although if you have a smart meter the process is easier for them and they can do it remotely.

Reactions: 36
It’s hasn’t earnt you a penny because you were already paid for those WITH YOUR ADVANCE you disingenuous bleep.
ETA - she was probably too thick to understand that concept and assumed she would be paid royalties immediately. Stupid cow.

Reactions: 42
Liz Jones is who Jack wants to be. Some posh media type, all woe-is-me. I used to read her back page of the daily mail magazine at work because someone always left it in the canteen and it was painful, self-indulgent bullshit about having all these admirers and living in a cottage in the countryside like some sort of Bridget Jones if it was written by Enid Blyton.

£59k would be a more than comfortable house deposit you twit, who is going to take pity on you for spending that much money on a bit of paint and some knickknacks? I've lived in 12 (yes, I move almost as much as Jack) and I have never been allowed as much as sticking posters on the wall, let alone a full remodel.

My company puts up with some terrible, terrible behaviour from authors. Authors who call three times day to ask where their latest draft is, swearing and insulting us the entire time. One french writer who hated everything I'd done her work, insisted we scrap it, and she'd start again, putting us a full year behind, while emailing our boss every day to rant about how awful it was. And my favourite, the one who brushed all the mugs off the kitchen counter and then sat on the floor and cried. But I think even we'd draw the line at throwing books at people. I might ask HR actually.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 80
Why would anyone spend so much money on a rented house?
She also has a designer haul that makes Jack’s £130k list look pathetic. She’s definitely spent the price of a small house on beauty treatments alone.

Let’s see.

Terrible, absolutely terrible with money
Terrible with animals
Terrible relationships
Normal childhood that they try to make our as impoverished
Love of weird designer tat but no personal style

She’s basically future Jack.

• Haha
Reactions: 77
I haven't thought about Liz Jones in years, and from what I can remember she was extremely annoying and 'me me me whiny' - but she was also a huge animal lover/rescuer. As silly as it sounds, that somewhat redeems her in my eyes. Monroe doesn't even have that going for her. Far from it.

I really hope I'm not about to find out that LJ has been accused of animal cruelty or something like that in recent years :oops:

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 43
She also has a designer haul that makes Jack’s £130k list look pathetic. She’s definitely spent the price of a small house on beauty treatments alone.

Let’s see.

Terrible, absolutely terrible with money
Terrible with animals
Terrible relationships
Normal childhood that they try to make our as impoverished
Love of weird designer tat but no personal style

She’s basically future Jack.
She has a favourite story about how her parents couldn't afford to buy her a Sindy doll so she had to make do with one from a charity shop that came without any clothes. Surprised Jack hasn't come up with her own version of that

• Haha
Reactions: 37
Wow. That blog. I felt the need to screenshot several parts of it for FORENSIC examination.
View attachment 1729505
She’s got some front still going on about how much KH ruined her life for 20 months after the judge totally saw through that blag. The histrionics are off the chart.
View attachment 1729509Blog is from May 2018
View attachment 1729511
18th house move. 9 moves since then? 🤔
View attachment 1729512
Admittedly coming at this from a position of ignorance, but does this happen? Wouldn’t they just cut you off rather than break into your house to install a prepaid meter??
View attachment 1729516Already mentioned by at least two other fraus but I screenshot it and couldn’t leave it out. Just drops this in like it’s acceptable behaviour.
View attachment 1729518
The ENTITLEMENT! This blog gave me all the rage. Way too much for a Monday morning if you please.

And what the hell has happened to this alleged stolen £50k+? Has the agent been arrested? Sued? Has Jack recouped the money? So many questions!
IIRC she claimed to have recouped the money but also signed some kind of NDA so she can conveniently never mention it again.

• Haha
  • Wow
Jack's first agent allegedly stole three years' worth of royalties from her, so presumably after that Allegra helped her out.

Here is the post about the theft, in which Jack begs for money in probably the most cringeworthy way yet: https://web.archive.org/web/2020080...2018/05/29/poverty-lingers-in-a-septic-wound/
God, it's even more sickening re-reading it now, after everything that's become public knowledge within the past few months. Incidentally, if Jack ever does decide to sue Lee Anderson for him saying she takes money from the poor and the vulnerable, the comments underneath it should help his defence no end - lots of people there saying they're on pensions / don't have much spare cash, but they're going to send her something anyway. She's disgusting, truly.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 72
Liz Jones is who Jack wants to be. Some posh media type, all woe-is-me. I used to read her back page of the daily mail magazine at work because someone always left it in the canteen and it was painful, self-indulgent bullshit about having all these admirers and living in a cottage in the countryside like some sort of Bridget Jones if it was written by Enid Blyton.

£59k would be a more than comfortable house deposit you twit, who is going to take pity on you for spending that much money on a bit of paint and some knickknacks? I've lived in 12 (yes, I move almost as much as Jack) and I have never been allowed as much as sticking posters on the wall, let alone a full remodel.
Liz does earn a huge amount at the Mail, around 2014 when she did Celebrity Big Brother she said she'd earned £500,000 as a writer that year (most of it from the Mail.) She probably earns less than that now since she's no longer the fashion editor, but still, she'd be on a high six-figure salary. And yet I guarantee even if Jack were earning that kind of money she'd still be rattling the tip jar and claiming to have her fridge switched off

• Wow
Reactions: 51
I've read the "choleric" blog before *of course*.

What do you think Jack means, or thinks she means, with the word choleric?

I think she's a fecking idiot one step away from Anna Karenina, but other views welcome

Poverty lingers a septic wound, choleric, stenching, bursting rancid all over your Sunday best

The threat of brutal home invasion lingers like a septic wound, covered with the thinnest of skins that threatens to burst open, choleric and stenching and staining your Sunday best white shirts at any moment

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 50
IIRC she claimed to have recouped the money but also signed some kind of NDA so she can conveniently never mention it again.
In that article she also mentions it's her 18th time moving house (which she had been in for 2 years+ at the time of the article) so in between May 2018 and the present day she must have moved nearly 10 more times which is interesting as most AST's are for at least 6 months and she's been in her current rental for around 3 years- really makes you think...

Edited to add: with regards the blue plaque thing that also makes no sense as she states her dad was joking so why do a list of homes and also blue plaques are also meant for people who DIED at least 20 years ago but as Jack thinks everyone wants her to stop breathing I guess in her mind it makes sense...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 59
I think she can't shock me any more, but in the poverty lingers in a septic wound article she nonchalantly mentions throwing a book at a publishing employee's head.
She is vile
This is essentially what got Jeremy Clarkson sacked "unprovoked physical attack"
It's one thing to be half cut in an interview it's something completely different to be getting violent

1668420098935.png

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 44
Have to say. As much as I understand Molly trying to be anonymous. I am an EEA immigrant, I don't appreciate people pretend to be that. Same like I don't appreciate Jack pulling immigrant card as second/third gen tbh.
I am somewhat disappointed in Molly with this. Doesn't take away from her work but it does make me wary? Not sure how to explain. I did wonder about her education (wow which school you went to you lucky bugger!) because thst was better than native level of English on someone who has been here less than 5 years😂 envy😂
Oh I've just seen what this is in reference to. Good grief.

ETA obviously you'd want to be anonymous. Why make up a totally false back story though, especially one in which you lie about being an immigrant?

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 51
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.