Jack Monroe #42

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It is, but also reeallly disturbing 😂.. most of it is creepy / tragic / sad. I read up on the Siamese twins Daisy and Violet Hilton after watching it and it’s quite a sad story. They were born in Brighton!
Oh wow I will have to read up! Yes the exploitation was horrible and I’m not sure I’d be comfortable watching it again!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Maybe this should be Jack Monroe #42: The one with the coriander! 23andme says I have an aversion but while I don’t love it, I could get by as long as there’s not too much.

Most importantly, thank you all you lovely opinionated fraus for your love and support with my dilemma. I’ve saved copies of some of the message threads for future reference, contacted a youth mental health service, and am going to email the pastoral officer at school tomorrow. You’ve all been so wonderful in your solidarity and your suggestions and I appreciate every single bit.

@Breakdance Badass I’m so sorry to hear your boy is going through something similar. It’s such an awful feeling, isn’t it? I really hope his situation is solved quickly and properly ❤
@choccydigestive Thats great it sounds like you’ve been on top of it today. I hope the school can help sort it for your son. It’s really horrible seeing them upset. He went out today with a group (under 11s don’t need to social distance in Scotland in case anyone shops him 🤣), luckily his close friend was there and the other boy arrived later with another friend, so he managed to ignore him. I feel sorry for them all, it’s been a difficult 3 months ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I need wise Frau advice - I have a double oven. Main oven has started to burn cakes (at the side towards the back of the oven). Today I baked a cake in the smaller oven, this was burnt on the top. Main oven is fan, small oven is conventional.
Does the cake burning indicate I need a new oven? It’s about 16 years old. It’s my first new oven so I don’t know how long they are supposed to last. It’s a Hotpoint oven.

Reactions: 6
D22EC6B7-014A-4246-A7F7-57C21C98EDD2.jpeg
She’s ‘liked’ this even though the person had basically changed the recipe and then declared it delicious. 🤨

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 44
View attachment 176003She’s ‘liked’ this even though the person had basically changed the recipe and then declared it delicious. 🤨
This reminds me of every single comment on the BBC Good Food website.

"Didn't have garlic, chorizo or chicken, swapped the mushrooms for courgettes, added some leftover orange peel and left out the cheese because we don't like it. Overall 4 stars"

• Haha
Reactions: 60
Yay @moldwarp -and welcome to the coven/cabal of fraus!

I am always SO relieved when yet another person sees right through her ludicrous claim to be working class. So crass and offensive.

@LennyBriscoe fellow civil servant over here. Well, for a couple more weeks, anyway.

View attachment 176003She’s ‘liked’ this even though the person had basically changed the recipe and then declared it delicious. 🤨
So basically "I changed your recipe completely, now it's edible" - what a ringing endorsement, eh 😏

• Haha
Reactions: 36
I genuinely thought this was a troll, they changed the entire recipe 😂😂😂
Actual sniggers.

Jack, could I substitute pie beans and peas for the pasta.

Yes. absolutely

I’m personally a bit funny with pasta. I don’t like tins of chopped tomatoes. I can tolerate them in a ratatouille or a chilli but that is where I draw the line. Pasta sauce fine, that’s about it.

My mum was saying to me the other day if we get a no deal Brexit you might have to eat them and I was like not a chance.

I would rather eat plain pasta with soy sauce or Henderson’s relish than inflict the hell that is chopped tinned tomatoes on my pasta.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
This reminds me of every single comment on the BBC Good Food website.

"Didn't have garlic, chorizo or chicken, swapped the mushrooms for courgettes, added some leftover orange peel and left out the cheese because we don't like it. Overall 4 stars"
That’s Jack’s whole shtick though. Check out my horse spunk lasagne - the eagle eyed among you might spot a few clever substitutions:

F9BD3313-E61A-4B05-A70D-8FC5BF89BAE1.jpeg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 43
Sometimes I love coriander and sometimes it tastes like soap to me.

(Why is that gif so hypnotic?!)

@heretoreaditall2019 I've been thinking about your post all day about being working class in your industry.

It was such a raw and honest account of the way you are affected and it really was moving.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 38
I actually had a proper look at her cooking on a bootstrap book today and to be fair the recipes don’t look awful. But. This has always been the issue.

She speaks about using a pinch of this and a bit of that. There was one recipe where she used to use Sainsbury’s value wine and it was 3.48 a bottle. Yes you can use it in other things but some people on the breadline won’t have 12 quid to make 7 portions of a meal. She knows this. Shes been there.

And in that circumstance I get why people would sack her recipes off and eat beans on toast

• Haha
Reactions: 21
That’s Jack’s whole shtick though. Check out my horse spunk lasagne - the eagle eyed among you might spot a few clever substitutions:

View attachment 176028
Come to bed jellied egg.... The titles write themselves don't they!

@heretoreaditall2019 I've been thinking about your post all day about being working class in your industry.

It was such a raw and honest account of the way you are affected and it really was moving.
Second this, thank you for sharing @heretoreaditall2019 xx

• Haha
Reactions: 26

Attachments

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
Sometimes I love coriander and sometimes it tastes like soap to me.

(Why is that gif so hypnotic?!)

It really was @heretoreaditall2019 , it would make a great novel/tv drama/expose. People think we’ve come so far but most people are very quick to revert to ‘harmless’ banter when they think they’re with likeminded people.

As a stupid aside, but interestingly kind of linked because the article was about harrassment, Thandie Newton had a great interview out yesterday where she talked about Tom Cruise and a spot on his nose. She was very candid and it was very funny.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
As a stupid aside, but interestingly kind of linked because the article was about harrassment, Thandie Newton had a great interview out yesterday where she talked about Tom Cruise and a spot on his nose. She was very candid and it was very funny.
I read that, and was squirming with shame over my slight crush based on a gif. He sounded so awful didn't he? He is so intense he can grow the most powerful spot in minutes.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
My Mum busted me drinking malt vinegar straight out the bottle when I was about 8 😬 As much as I love all things vinegary I’m not quite sure what I was thinking!

I saw these wise words today and thought of Jack’s current tit show…
One of my grandma’s fabled urban legends was that she once saw a man down a pint of vinegar for a bet 😂

I’m not sure of the veracity of that particular story, though.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Talking of drinking malt vinegar; I remember hating school so much that Id try and make myself sick so I didnt have to go. I mixed vinegar and andrews salts with some other shite and drank it, in the hopes id be ill. Didnt work 🙄😂 p

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
Talking of drinking malt vinegar; I remember hating school so much that Id try and make myself sick so I didnt have to go. I mixed vinegar and andrews salts with some other shite and drank it, in the hopes id be ill. Didnt work 🙄😂 p
I once smeared flour over my face in the hope it would make me look pasty-white and ill so I could avoid school. Also didn't work 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.