Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

FreeSquirrels

I’m the same @Flumps. I also pick up other people’s accents so move to French constructions & accent etc when I’m talking to French people.

My parents sent me to elocution lessons when I was little so I’d learn to speak posh 😅.

Reactions: 11

Spoonfulofjam

When I was 12 an older girl said I looked like "the fat nun from Sister Act", and when I was evidently horrified she was like "ohhhhh I just mean 'cos you're always smiling". Yeah, sure, thanks.

Anyway, 21 years on and it's one of the many insults adding bulk to the knapsack of slurs. I genuinely believe that as a conventionally attractive woman Jack has never really had the opportunity to grow a sufficiently thick skin.

(Thin skin through lack of exposure is a condition I would kill for, tbh)
Ive had Kathy Najimi - Sister Mary Patrick - too. Hey nun twin! People are fucking ridiculous. End of.

• Sad

Silver Linings

VIP Member
‘newspaper hit piece’ Does she mean us?
It seems very coincidental. The only thing i’ve seen her mentioned in this aft is the parody DM reporter twitter taking the piss out of the comments about her, but that was in support of her, unless she’s misunderstood. I’m annoyed because I like them usually.

Pocahontas

VIP Member
@Readingismyhobby if you’ve previously cooked cakes without burning them as such, I’d say probably time for a new oven. Fan ovens do bake faster than a conventional, so that’s also something.

Lanie

VIP Member
I think she means her and her son. I really hope the kitten gets its treatment started soon. The sooner the better I always think.

Toffee finger

VIP Member
Middle Class grammar school yes, Essex no. I lived in Southend until I was 28. I think a lot of people who do not have southern accents get them mixed up. For instance the Portsmouth accent sounds like a West country accent to me , but my scouse mate thinks they sound like cockneys!
I can hear her Essex-ness. I sound similar and a lot of people I know that have also lived in Southend their entire lives sound similarly.
It’s funny how even people who live or have lived here have different opinions on whether she sounds Essex or not!

Keegan

Exactly - my oldest reads a lot, always has done. He read The Hunger Games trilogy when he was 10 - some of my friends were REALLY disapproving of it, but I was like - if he wants to read it, why not? I’m not saying your kids should read it (although I spose it made them think about reading it and their parents didn’t want them to).

My son and I talked about the themes, etc. If anything, him reading books like that led him to read Lord of the Flies and Animal Farm - and we talked about them. Honestly, I’m just always happy to have a shared topic to discuss, as it’s less and less as he gets older!
Dystopias are my jam. Do you want any recs? I have read some not very famous ones recently that are amazing

• Heart
Reactions: 10

Begborrowsteal

VIP Member
Oh Penns, this is not your fault at all, and this was very funny, but you've reminded me of one of the worst insults I ever received. When I was a teenager someone once described me as 'that girl with the big round face'. I still carry that moon-face little barb with me, (though my face isn't particularly round anymore) along with the slightly more palatable but still oddly upsetting 'The thing about you is that you are pretty, but not at all sexy' that I got, a few years later, from someone I very much wanted to find me all the sexy.

Some more random data for your triangulation @Gentlemensrelish!
Oh man 😫

Whereas I can definitely hear it. It's a middle class grammar school Essex accent to me, similar to my mother's Black Country accent, popping out in vowels and the occasional word. It's not a public school RP accent which you hear around London and Edinburgh - in addition to the Scottish public/private/educated Scots accents. You can definitely hear the difference, for example, when she was on television with Rachel Johnson.

[I'm always asked where I'm from, not having any Scots accent at all thanks to being sent away to school in England, despite having all the vocabulary and understanding Doric fluently! My father could pop between the two but I can't do accents other than my own. I was once told at a class reunion that the only time I sounded Scots was when I said Scotland!]
Most of us in Southend don't sound like that. Unless I have my telephone voice on. The Estuary Twang that I know is rougher, more likely to cause tinnitus.

Peanut butter isn't very expensive to buy, it's more expensive buying the bags of peanuts. She really is a knob.
85p in Sainsburys at the moment.

It would have made more sense to buy a tub of Basics PB and sprinkle some crushed ones from a packet over the top if you hadn't got a clue how to make the stuff but wanted your name and a photo in a Guardian article, really.

• Haha