Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Cookiecookie

VIP Member
Apparently coriander can taste like urine to some people, although hopefully not many people are having a swig of wee to compare! I love the stuff, but I'm really not fond of basil, which a lot of people love. Very weird thing to lie about though. Like, why?

Reactions: 11

Aquamarina

Chatty Member
The husband had incredibly odd parents, who thought mum and dad were common. They got to being about 10 or so, and were given the choice of continuing to call them mummy and daddy, or by their first names. Even now, two of his sisters do the same with their now grown up kids. It's weird.
My now grown up children also call me and my ex-husband by our first names. It’s fairly common in our middle-class, liberal circle. It’s strange for us that other people find it so weird. My name isn’t, nor has never been ‘mum.’

• Heart

J4n0Z

Chatty Member
Same here, my near 11 yr old would be shocked that I’m shocked at his Xbox language! However, he’s growing up and learning boundaries of his own (will say “shit” online but never to a friend’s parent, etc!). I echo what you both say about reading. I refuse to censor my children’s reading. How else can you have interesting conversations if you only allow books with strict PC policies? The fun of learning is having your opinions challenged
You're dead right there. Now that my son is of an age where he's developing critical thinking skills and analysing stuff, discussing issues definitely is more fun. And learning *should* be fun!

• Heart

J4n0Z

Chatty Member
Whereas I can definitely hear it. It's a middle class grammar school Essex accent to me, similar to my mother's Black Country accent, popping out in vowels and the occasional word. It's not a public school RP accent which you hear around London and Edinburgh - in addition to the Scottish public/private/educated Scots accents. You can definitely hear the difference, for example, when she was on television with Rachel Johnson.

[I'm always asked where I'm from, not having any Scots accent at all thanks to being sent away to school in England, despite having all the vocabulary and understanding Doric fluently! My father could pop between the two but I can't do accents other than my own. I was once told at a class reunion that the only time I sounded Scots was when I said Scotland!]
Ha, just goes to show I clearly know eff all about accents! To me she sounds public school-ish.

My own accent is not very strong, but it is there and comes out now even stronger when I go home. It's... let's say... very distinctive 😆

LennyBriscoe

VIP Member
I have never seen David Walliams as 'untouchable'. I'm curious as to why she thinks he is.
Maybe it’s the Simon Cowell thing 🤷🏻‍♀️ There are a few people I’ve wondered why he sticks with (Sinitta, Amanda Holden, Cheryl Cole - albeit I saw on the Celeb Gossip the reason why that might be...) so maybe because she’s not a fan of DW, she thinks even though he’s the worst person in the world, SC will stick with him and therefore keep him relevant

Cookiecookie

VIP Member
Why does hers look like kinetic sand?
It doesn't look at all spreadable.

I did try making it once, but I don't think my machine was powerful enough, because it did not go well. I quite like the cheap and nasty stuff anyway, the fancy one always splits and is a pain in the neck to keep trying to mix the oil back in.

• Haha

chocolate choux

VIP Member
I’m the opposite, I’m not keen on “mama” it reminds me of something a creepy possessed doll or little ghost girl might say in a horror film 😆 would hate to hear one of my kids calling it in the night!
My Nan always referred to my grandad as “Daddy” whether she was talking to the grandkids or my parents or asking if he wanted a cup of tea etc. I think it’s sweet and she definitely wasn’t posh or a preschooler. She was east London through and through but it was a nice way of saying he was the head of the family.
I’m not keen on mama either, it sounds fancy / old fashioned to me. I accept it as she isn’t very verbal, but I do keep referring to myself as ‘mum’ or ‘mummy’ hoping she’ll eventually get the hint!

That is sweet, I do think it’s interesting how different regions and families can have such different ideas about words

• Heart

J4n0Z

Chatty Member
To be fair I sound a lot posher than my background would suggest (given that I think I’m common as muck). As does my mum. People would probably be able to place my accent if they met me but there are people in my area who talk through their nose like they are a character from chewing the fat. Accents can vary dramatically even in a few miles.
I know what you mean about the variation in how people speak. I lived in Glasgow for a few years and there's quite a range, just like there is my home town. My ex is from a WC background, comes from a part of the country where there's a very distinctive local accent. He doesn't have it - very much wc made good.

Just a theory of mine, but I think how you are educated (private school, comprehensive, level of education and so on) has an impact on how you speak.

Am conscious of starting to waffle on irrelevantly so I'll leave things there!

MellowD

View attachment 176530
But working class top trumps is Jack's favourite game!

Even evidenced in her reply - 'the shabbier bit'... She just can't help herself can she?!
So she lives in Thorpe Bay now. I wonder if it is by the Yacht Club?
I have no idea where the shabby end of Thorpe bay is. Anyone else a Southender as baffled as me?
Yes! Thorpe Bay was known as the Nouveau Riche part of town, Leigh and Chalkwell being the posh parts when I was growing up. I wonder if her shabby part is near the Yacht Club?

• Wow
  • Haha

antisocialmedia

VIP Member
Sniggers. One of my stalkers compiled a dossier on me. Like a big FUCK OFF (that means big in Scotland) dossier.

Personal information that I didn’t give him. Every tweet I ever wrote.

I’m laughing now but it really wasn’t funny at the time.

He’s done it to others.

I have never met. Spoken to. Or texted this man. He was obsessed with me for over a year. Not sexually. He’s married. Another girl has had 3 years of the same antics.
Is he from Leicester? I had this

• Sad
  • Wow

Blurp

VIP Member
Nae bad min, chavvin awa. Bitty scunnered, ye ken fit like
I mind the first Christmas I came home after moving south, my mum and I were standing outside Littlewoods in Union Street, waiting to cross the road, when I heard an auld fairmer chiel talking about Bridge O Doooooown and I thought, I'm home! Apparently you only hear it when i mention my daaad or occasionally my baaag. :LOL:

• Heart

Lanie

VIP Member
Thinking of books we read when we were 10 - Half my class had read flowers in the attic in the last year of junior school which had murder, neglect, incest (!) and abuse. I didn’t, but I heard other (quite posh - more than half my class went on to private secondaries) girls chatting about it.
Ooh that book has everything all of her books are quite similar. The prequel to flowers in the attic is also a bit out there.

MellowD

Whereas I can definitely hear it. It's a middle class grammar school Essex accent to me, similar to my mother's Black Country accent, popping out in vowels and the occasional word. It's not a public school RP accent which you hear around London and Edinburgh - in addition to the Scottish public/private/educated Scots accents. You can definitely hear the difference, for example, when she was on television with Rachel Johnson.

[I'm always asked where I'm from, not having any Scots accent at all thanks to being sent away to school in England, despite having all the vocabulary and understanding Doric fluently! My father could pop between the two but I can't do accents other than my own. I was once told at a class reunion that the only time I sounded Scots was when I said Scotland!]
Middle Class grammar school yes, Essex no. I lived in Southend until I was 28. I think a lot of people who do not have southern accents get them mixed up. For instance the Portsmouth accent sounds like a West country accent to me , but my scouse mate thinks they sound like cockneys!