Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

flightofthealligator

What exactly do we think happened to make her go from unashamedly showing off her impressive array of material possessions to the creative writing of HH2? It was quite the change of direction.
I think she did Jackmaths, gave the Trussell Trust (no other food banks are available) £11k, thought she could get away with it because she had Old Harold and his income, he LEFT, then she did a panic and got the begging bowl out.

Reactions: 63

Tin Can Crook

Chatty Member
You’ve just made me visualise a human centipede, modelled out of grated spam and mince. Tbf, Jack’s conga line of burger matter prob tastes like it’s been passed though three bumholes.
Reminding the canal of her "meal ideas" List she inflicted upon us on the 6th where she "chained meals" via ingredients.

Screenshot_20220906_132446.jpg
Screenshot_20220906_141246.jpg
20220906_141250.jpg

I still haven't worked out what the benefit of sharing this was.

• Haha
  • Sad

Just Lou

Chatty Member
Has there been an in-depth study of Alcoholism Recovery Jack?

I read about the local shop contradictory stories, but there's more than that.

BTW, my name is Benign Narcissist and I'm an alcoholic, and regularly attended meetings and events for a number of years.

I have never seen, or heard of, an AA group in the UK give out the "sobriety chips" marking the length of time sober (though I have seen it in other 'anonymous groups' - Cocaine Anonymous, for example).

She might have a home group that does do it, but why would she accept multiple chips to mark the same length of sober time?

Any South of England friends of Bill W able to confirm if sobriety chips are given out?

Standard advice to new arrivals at AA is attend 90 meetings in 90 days, and don't drink in between. Anonymity is discussed, and I'm pretty sure someone with a high profile is advised that using said profile to announce early recovery risks damaging AA reputation, and putting others off trying it, in the event of a relapse.

If Jack does have a sponsor (AA veteran to do the 12 Step programme with), then they will be aghast at her social media antics.

Jack announced to the world her alcoholism with a Guardian article a week into 'sobriety' - everyone is different, but I don't know any AA members who made membership public within the first few months rather than days, except one guy who announced it on his Facebook page when he acted like a drunken fool at a work event and tried to worm out of getting sacked.

Jack may well have gone to AA. She may believe she is addicted to alcohol. She might even be. I can't know. But what I do know is that her exposing the organisation to association with her, particularly so early on, would likely cause immense discomfort to those who do "service" (volunteer to host and run the meetings). This is read out at the start of every meeting:

A.A. PREAMBLE
A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics achieve sobriety.

Nobody would ever be asked to leave an AA meeting unless something really awful like violence resulted. But AA meetings will have people desperately in need of help arriving, and, if Jack does attend, find there is a social media personality with serious boundary issues there.

If Jack is in AA, she acted out of accordance with the spirit of anonymity the organisation has carefully cultivated over decades.

Many famous people have spoken of their membership - but usually after many years sobriety, and often significant service. Jack showed up and wrote a Guardian article about it.

It's all very weird and suspicious.
South West AA-er here.

All of what you have said is exactly why many in recovery are uncomfortable at best with her weaponising of AA.

Her behaviour on Twitter is often the polar opposite of how one who is actually working the program should behave and, in my opinion, she is hugely damaging for AA. But alas, if one has a desire to stop drinking, they are able to call themselves a member. Her behaviour also highlights one of the reasons why anonymity is so important - because if you behave badly or relapse it makes it look like AA doesn't work.

Monthly chips are popular in North America but not in the UK, not many meetings give out monthly chips and none that I have ever been to although you are able to buy your own. I am almost two years sober but also previously had a longer stint of sobriety many years ago. Most groups will give yearly chips out to their members.

Last edited:
  • Heart

confusedlady

do they not realise with meal subscription services have all the recipes available online, why hasn't jack talked about how you could group them together yourself to batch cook them? they're at least £35 a week, why are they so disconnected and saying that's NOT THAT EXPENSIVE?

also poor people do not give a fuck about inspiration when they're cooking, they care about eating hearty fulfilling food

this is insufferable

• Heart
  • Angry

Geetbo

VIP Member
I said that a few threads ago! Great minds and all that.
I'm still queasy at the thought of stewing steak and tinned mandarins :sick: I could sit down for a week trying to think of the most revolting concoction possible (which is how Jack plans her recipes) and still never come up with that.
I might have to do a @Geetbo with the three tin tender.
Don’t do it tender one. I’ve not been the same since.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 62

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
This is such a good comment.
Jack has been propped up by wealthy media luvvies for so long. Any hint of her true self being revealed in the past they would weigh in on twitter with their 'Jack Monroe is a force for good. Anyone disagreeing is a bully' stuff.
I suspect Billy Bragg has wised up to her after she was a no show at Glastonbury though. Those things take ages to organise.

Screenshot_20220929_083626.jpg

• Heart
Excuse me, but WTF is with all the magnetic spice holders on the side of Le Fridge? Fine dining establishments with three Michelin stars don't have that many spices in their kitchens. That excessive display just screams "tell me you don't know anything about cooking or recipes without telling me that you don't know anything about cooking or recipes".
My aneurysm is that she has AAAAAAAAALLLL those herbs and spices but (a) barely uses any in her slop cooking and (b) still thinks they’re interchangeable when she does.
Or are all those tins filled with Asda Smartprice Mixed Herbs? I need to know.

While I ponder I’m off to listen to my first ever podcast. She may not have changed the lives of millions as per the needy squig but what with this, Patreon and Kickstarter she’s dragged me kicking and screaming into the digital age…

• Haha

TbilisiPeach

Chatty Member
Ever since I started lurking here, it's been bugging me that Jack reminds me of someone, physically, but I couldn't think of who. Now I think I've worked it out--it's the actor Michael Shannon.

View attachment 1613557

Does anyone else see it, or is it just me? This isn't meant as a comment on Jack's appearance, BTW, just a sense that her face seemed familiar.
Soz, but it's just you.

• Haha
  • Heart

terfette

Chatty Member
this would also play into the idea that she technically doesn’t lie - its more misdirection than lying
You forget too. She probably genuinely doesn’t remember some of the shit she’s come out with. Particularly if you’re awake a long time on it (as opposed to someone who does say, a gram a day and goes to sleep every night, eats a healthy breakfast before their first line, and has a normal routine otherwise). When you stay awake a long time, I can’t describe the melting feeling it gives your brain.
For fraus who’ve given birth after a long Labour, and then stayed awake staring at your baby the next night, imagine that but worse. It’s the only thing I can compare it to.

it also ties in to her disappearing “arthritis”. I have arthritis starting (dodgy genes and jobs I’ve used my wrists heavily). But stay awake on coke for four days and my symptoms are more like an 80year olds. This goes away when you’ve had a good sleep or two.

• Wow
  • Heart
People have been talking a lot about HH2 being the beginning of the end for Jack and in retrospect - and listening to the podcast - I really can't believe she thought she'd get away with any of this. Posting about how she hasn't bought shampoo in two years, just a few months after that photo of her newly dyed hair and a list of all the (expensive, too!) products she used on it? Says she can't afford shower gel or even to have the lights on but she has a ton of brand deals including with Superdrug which is paying her to promote their budget toiletries. A decade as a public figure who's sold books and worked with a number of companies but writes as if she's in the exact same situation as she was 10 years ago? Pride really does come before a fall

• Heart

kachoochoo

VIP Member
look, did any of youse who listened remember what she actually said she would write up for her blog, cos I'm gonna need that for The List?

or am I gonna have to get on bbc sounds and listen through men holding hands (this is a good thing, it should happen more often) and fungal feet (this is a bad thing, it should happen less often) to get to it?

as an aside, I've never taken (illegal) drugs, other than weed, and I'm kinda feeling left out here 😟

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 61

OkTinkerbell

VIP Member
Ever since I started lurking here, it's been bugging me that Jack reminds me of someone, physically, but I couldn't think of who. Now I think I've worked it out--it's the actor Michael Shannon.

View attachment 1613557

Does anyone else see it, or is it just me? This isn't meant as a comment on Jack's appearance, BTW, just a sense that her face seemed familiar.
Nah she’s more Daniella Westbrook.
6B9CAFD2-0BE0-4FE0-83F2-50FE2C823DD2.jpeg
AC7C4AE6-9E9C-4DB4-9C86-FEA5CC684D31.png

• Haha
  • Wow

mich81

I don’t know how to quote from previous threads - but for the questions about Jack being a premature baby

She was born at 30 weeks weighing 3lb 9oz

Her mum posted it to a premature baby group I’m in on Facebook, with a picture of her then and now which is how I recognised her.

It’s a closed group so I won’t post a screenshot.

• Wow