Jack Monroe #39 Cat's in the bathroom with silver spoon,this is real life not Mills & Boon

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s a bit of a stretch to call herself a journalist as well. A few months on the Southend echo which she packed in as soon as she got her advance for her book.

She also sees herself as a fixer and a rescuer. While simultaneously looking to others to fix and rescue her.

She’s done very well for herself out of the poverty situation she found herself in. I personally don’t know how I would deal with having more cash given that I’ve always had not a lot.

If I could afford it and wanted a Smeg fridge then I would buy myself one. I don’t think I’d continue to promote myself as being skint in that instance.

She looks as if she’s desperate to keep herself relevant. Which is a bit baffling as she recently said that book 8 had already been commissioned.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Reading her tweets from last nights I noticed she mentioned again about being working class.

It's like shes obsessed with it being working class, someone needs to break it to her gently that working class people dont have smeg fridges and ginormous (crappy) bungalows...
You’re not WC if you were driven around by your SAHM mum in a Land Rover ferried between ballet classes & grammar school, funded by your landlord empire dad who held a senior civil service role paying £60k odd a year 😬 One year skint doesn’t change your origins story no matter how hard she tries.

It’s difficult cos financially we’re good but I’d always describe myself as WC because I still think it’s true - I don’t think my set of adult circumstances overrides everything else, but yeah class is a very difficult and abstract concept and everyone has a different opinion on it but I’d definitely say you get wealthy WC people, she’s just not one 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 42
Wow, uh, where to begin???

I'm speechless how she thought this was a good idea. The only thing I can surmise is that she now lives her life solely through twitter. It's COOL to be gobby on twitter - you could go viral! Going viral means likes and fame and all the other things she craves. She gets to be an 'activist' by typing out a few controversial tweets and gets a bunch of smoke blown up her arse for what, um, really isn't a controversial opinion...

Tbh I have no problem with what she's said in the initial tweets. I've never read any of these books, and I've never actually seen Little Britain (parents wouldn't let me and I always thought it looked awful anyway), but I do agree with her that some of the stuff she highlighted is offensive. I'm dubious that anything that gets kids reading is a good thing, but also happy to defer to people who actually have children (I don't) on that one, and I also read some pretty offensive stuff as a kid and I turned out as 'woke' as they come.

But the other stuff? I genuinely can't believe she insinuated DW takes drugs to write his books. I can't believe she's revelling in the 'chaos' she's causing. The utter HYPOCRISY of her banging on about being 'set on' by his 'publishing world' (lol) followers when she knows exactly what she's doing whenever she orchestrates a pile on. [TW: sexual assault] And duck OFF with the vaguebooking and thinly veiled threats - I feel incredibly gross that she is gleefully wielding sexual assault like a weapon. The absolute bleeping privilege of being able to revel in causing havoc, knowing that you'll be believed and protected by thousands of supporters. So many survivors do NOT have that. I will always believe women when they say they have experienced sexual assault, but it honestly feels like she's trivialising it.

We are also definitely in for Jack Monroe the childrens book author and/or Jack Monroe the erotica author - perhaps at the same time?? Wouldn't surprise me, her publisher seems to go for any bleeping thing.

• Heart
I find her very classist. Like most things it goes both ways. She seems to be very against people with money, whether they have earned it or inherited it. Most people with money have actually studied and worked their way up the ladder, so to speak and have proved themselves good at their job and made a decent living from it. Yes some of these people could be more charitable to the poorer folk and less ignorant. I find her very ignorant towards the upper classes and the hypocrisy in her tweets astounds me. She is no stranger to middle class live, she's been to the bloody groucho, rubbed shoulders on a personal level with celebs, she is an author, ( bestselling) yet moans when others want to make money for visits. I really hope now she has said that she will remain free for her school visits.
Very much so. I'm lower mid class, but my Mum grew up as a working class, 2nd gen immigrant, whose council house was so damp that she still has respiratory problems to this day. It's very much a part of her heritage, and she is proud to have worked hard and got where she is in life. She has told me she struggles in certain situations and is constantly putting on a mask to be an 'acceptable' version of herself. But she does not shout about her background - she has told me that it's the people who shout the loudest are after often those with stuff to hide. And she does not have a huge chip on her shoulder about what is fancy and what is not and what middle class people are allowed to do and not do. This is personally what doesn't sit right with me about Jack. It's also what I experienced in uni. So many of peers were screaming about their WC heritage and roots. When I went to visit them in the summer I was shocked to see they had 4 bed semi detached houses and actually had parents giving them pocket money to live on! Nothing wrong with this, but please don't claim you're poorer than you are! It's disrespectful to the people who face so many financial and social adversities to succeed at uni. Even I had to work two jobs to keep myself afloat at university, and I've grown up relatively privileged! This is one of my favourite articles ever, and I think JM would fall into this bracket: https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/nexz9k/16-more-stories-of-posh-kids-pretending-to-not-be-posh

As someone who grew up in South Wales, I personally find "One of my friends from uni used to say they were a miner because his family owned a mine" absolutely hysterical!

Jack shouts about living in poverty ever so loudly. Someone in this thread earlier said that spending a couple of years living in poverty where there is a safety net available from family should you wish to choose it is very different to growing up in poverty. I totally agree. I don't want to talk over WC people in this group, I'm going off what my Mum has told me, and this is 40 years ago too! But her experience was that while her parents wanted her to do well at school, as immigrants, they couldn't help with homework, provide reading material. There was always a panic about food and hunger, which can shape your development psychologically and physically. That's going to give you a completely different start in life.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Wow, uh, where to begin???

I'm speechless how she thought this was a good idea. The only thing I can surmise is that she now lives her life solely through twitter. It's COOL to be gobby on twitter - you could go viral! Going viral means likes and fame and all the other things she craves. She gets to be an 'activist' by typing out a few controversial tweets and gets a bunch of smoke blown up her arse for what, um, really isn't a controversial opinion...

Tbh I have no problem with what she's said in the initial tweets. I've never read any of these books, and I've never actually seen Little Britain (parents wouldn't let me and I always thought it looked awful anyway), but I do agree with her that some of the stuff she highlighted is offensive. I'm dubious that anything that gets kids reading is a good thing, but also happy to defer to people who actually have children (I don't) on that one, and I also read some pretty offensive stuff as a kid and I turned out as 'woke' as they come.

But the other stuff? I genuinely can't believe she insinuated DW takes drugs to write his books. I can't believe she's revelling in the 'chaos' she's causing. The utter HYPOCRISY of her banging on about being 'set on' by his 'publishing world' (lol) followers when she knows exactly what she's doing whenever she orchestrates a pile on. [TW: sexual assault] And duck OFF with the vaguebooking and thinly veiled threats - I feel incredibly gross that she is gleefully wielding sexual assault like a weapon. The absolute bleeping privilege of being able to revel in causing havoc, knowing that you'll be believed and protected by thousands of supporters. So many survivors do NOT have that. I will always believe women when they say they have experienced sexual assault, but it honestly feels like she's trivialising it.

We are also definitely in for Jack Monroe the childrens book author and/or Jack Monroe the erotica author - perhaps at the same time?? Wouldn't surprise me, her publisher seems to go for any bleeping thing.
It is sickening isn't it. I don't like to say this and I don't come to it easily, but sometimes there are individuals who proper let the side down and undermine important progress.

Reactions: 24
I personally think it was really funny that Labour were apparently all over her when she was in her political phase re her standing as an MP.

There are useless MPs, I’ve had one but could you imagine her in the House of Commons?

She was apparently going to stand as a local councillor this year. She’s just too flaky. Everything is a phase with her.

I’m not suggesting her sexuality is but she’s had so many other phases and nothing ever seems to last long.

If she actually wasn’t so flaky and followed other stuff through she could have done really well for herself.

Instead she’s on twitter instigating pile ons against other blue tickers.

Trolling for attention. That’s about the size of it now.

Reactions: 20
Wait until she discovers Enid Blyton...

But, seriously, why wait until SB had finished the book to launch this tirade? Presuming he didn’t scamper off to Waterstones to buy it himself, surely she at least read the blurb before giving it him? Even if it was a gift, if she has this many high-minded ideals about children’s literature, I’d have expected her to have skimmed the back, at least.

This feels performative.
Do you think she's saying all this to the kid? Poor little thing. Just finished another book and loved it. Then your mother starts screaming ITS tit AND RACIST I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ENJOY THIS
Just so sad

• Sad
Reactions: 36
Do you think she's saying all this to the kid? Poor little thing. Just finished another book and loved it. Then your mother starts screaming ITS tit AND RACIST I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ENJOY THIS
Just so sad
she just has to suck the joy out of everything! Must be a miserable household. I KNEW she wouldn’t be able to keep up the nice thing for more than a day, she is such an unbelievably negative person. Ugh I dislike her.

Reactions: 30
Alison's response this morning:

View attachment 173483
Well, done, Alison. Exactly, Jack, one of your followers made a completely unsubstantiated claim that the books were ghostwritten, you clearly immediately believed them, reiterated that claim and then ignored the response of someone who has actually worked with the man. That's not opinion. That's a fact. Either the books are ghostwritten or they are not. Both can't be true. So you saying they are ghostwritten is libel if they are not. You saying you find his books tit is opinion.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
Also all the fraus pointing out she’s trying to bully herself into new jobs - I wonder where DW & ML came under a lot of heat (rightfully so) during BLM she’s seeing this as a means of getting commissioned to write or speak on it? Go viral and peak the Guardian’s interest? She doesn’t have any new paid work lined up does she...?

I find her interpretation of class so interesting and gross, she’s definitely referred to herself as WC on many occasions which is... bizarre? Is it because she believes the working classes all live in poverty having to rinse beans because that’s pretty insulting. Does she think she’s WC because she rents and daddy hasn’t helped her with a deposit yet? Like what IS it because it’s really bleeping weird, I wish I’d asked her if she genuinely believes this when she invaded our space. Like all of her politics it’s so shallow and flat that I don’t expect any sense from her with it, she has very limited lived experience so can’t speak on anything with any degree of authenticity, maybe this is why the Guardian stopped commissioning her? Yes she can speak about using a food bank and delays in receiving her benefits, bulk cooking for pennies, but that’s about it...?

• Heart
Reactions: 37
All this is self-destructive though. She gets praise on Twitter for what she does - but those praising her are teachers or members of the public, or "followers". They are not going to offer her work. The people she needs to impress and keep on side for work - media people, publishing, TV, etc - she keeps attacking and repelling.

End effect: Nobody will touch her with a barge-pole.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
I know some people use it as part of their vocabulary but I generally find these people to be quite frustrated and generally angry.

Nothing to add other than the Sharks with the anti-hair wrap technology are simply astonishing. We put one in our holiday let, which I nicked at the start of lockdown, and it's knocked socks off my Miele Cat & Dog. Going to have to wait for the sales and buy another.
I ordered one from the Shark website yesterday, they're £100 off at the moment. Get spending!!
Reading her tweets from last nights I noticed she mentioned again about being working class.
Being on benefits for a while doesn't make you working class. It's absolutely pathetic and I also find it quite offensive how she hops from her privileged white middle class woman space in and out of the spaces of working class, non binary, persecuted refugee, etc and then shouts about how rough it is. These are not your spaces Jack, you can't keep doing this.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
Well this mornings twitter pile on (its still going) makes "that mans" one look like a cosy meetup! :oops:

She really is a nasty piece of work!

• Wow
Reactions: 28
Just so sad
I really hope not, but even if it's minimal and ''done nicely'' it's still very obvious to you. Being a child in that situation, the swift feeling of excitement to crestfallen to awful panic was severely damaging for me. I can't speak for others obviously, but I have seen it play out elsewhere and the effect seems the same.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Just finished another mini Grunka (Jack, got a week off work mate, can you not be a twit, got stuff to get done love), honestly cannot believe those tweets are largely still up.
She sincerely needs help, as much as I think she’s a grade A knobhead, she is clearly unwell. Self destructive behaviour like this, cannot end well and I wish her close friends/family would step in before it gets really bad (and honestly her libelling DW is pretty bleeping bad so I don’t think it’s too far into the future) 😬.

Reactions: 31
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.