Jack Monroe #369 Lie-de-Lie!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love reading about the DKL times. It was before I joined the threads and I've got such a fear based cringe about it, I've still not watched a single episode or clip. I doubt I ever will. But will I read every single post where you funny fuckers describe it? Yes. Yes I will.

• Haha
Reactions: 74
I just loaded up one of the daily kitchen videos and she's showing us the microfibre slippers she uses to sweep up cat hair

Screenshot_20220822-153022_Gallery.jpg

Send coroner-os, I'm deceased

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 69
And also… Did I dream it or at one point was she attempting to talk viewers through (whilst making) her recipe for something (perhaps some kind of salad dressing in an empty jam jar) and Matt said “that’s a Jamie Oliver recipe isn’t it?”.
Yes he did. And yes it was. I think Marm captures that moment here, where Medusa- like she’s trying to turn Matt to stone. That was close to the end of the run where Matt was giving zero fucks anymore.
D444DEA9-7E81-46FC-A201-182E8B43FCB1.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 56
As a fellow Southender, Ruby is far more working class than Jack. She just doesn't bleat on about it as she recognised that her fortune has changed and she has made good of opportunities afforded to her.
Oh I think Ruby fetishises 'working class' food in a different way, but it is still problematic. Jack relentlessly copies her.

Last edited:
Reactions: 23
To add one more thing, which seems petty but sort of typifies it. Never, ever have I felt so much second hand embarrassment and absolute cringe about someone sitting in a chair. Even the way she did that was unbearably uncomfortable, awkward and inept.

Even thinking about it now, more than two years after she did it, is making me feel a bit weird.

ETA Correction from my earlier post. She grated corned beef not spam. She has form for both, but DKL was the former, right? Sticking to the facts, fact fans!
Hahaha. God, yes. The way she was just sat there, so awkward, adding nothing to the show. And who can forget THANK YOU SO MATT MUCH, MATT. It was all truly awful. Mind you, covid was still in full swing so I think everyone was a bit 😳 anyway. If she was on TV performing like that now, I'd definitely turn inside out with second hand embarrassment.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Expat Frau here, iplayer doesn’t work and vpn are a bit useless, BBC too stupid to let us buy a licence have asked, very stupid are there any sources of DKL with the Twitter comments? Have found a couple on YouTube but no tweets. Any pointers to this ‘televisual feast’ ( RIP Bernard Cribbins) would be really helpful.

Mods if this is breaking rules, I understand the deletion and possible smack on my grubby ( but not as grubby as Jack’s ) paws, sorry.

Reactions: 17
Been thinking a lot about who donates & why since that post by someone saying that they bunged her 200 quid, and the valid points raised by Molly & other twitter posters about the nature of online donations for 'activism'. I went back to her patreon to check what she has actually written.

"By supporting my Patreon you're giving me space to create the work that really drives me - the free recipes on my website and allllll the admin work that that entails, the charity work I do for free for dozens of food organisations and NGOs tackling poverty, the school talks, the good stuff that makes a difference but doesn't pay the bills. It's not a donation service, there's a reward at every tier, so it's more like a subscription for some goodies as well as exclusive behind the scenes content, musings, sneak peeks at upcoming bits and pieces, and more"

Fair enough, I can see why people would get behind that. However when there is zero evidence that she does anything at all resembling the bit in bold, only paid media / festival etc appearances & no rewards being sent why would that not tip off donors (because it is donating to an individuals lifestyle not supporting a tangible creative endeavour) why why why would you not think, I might be better bunging this money to the local food bank. ???? ffs

• Angry
Reactions: 50
For the first week Jack appeared from her kitchen.

This was due to, Jack said, severe hay fever. The signal cut out frequently this was, according to Jack, LJCs fault. Jack had, apparently, tidied her kitchen but neglected her bins.

Highlights - Jack's 'intro Power Pose. The cat unplanned appearance, totally unplanned, absolutely totally unplanned, the bantz. Oh yes, the bantz. Then someone asked her what could they do with a potato

Jack was so awkward and unprofessional they ended up giving her the vitally important task of monitoring the Twitter stream.

Jack had previously said that it DKL went well it would be extended, and when it was she would laugh up a lung. Luckily for Jack's lungs this didn't happen and Cactus TV, the production company, have removed all mention of DKL from their website.
Not hayfever dearheart but a 'mild cough'. Actaully that was a saga in itself: at the start of lockdown Jack said she would not be able to leave the house AT ALL due to being immunocomprised. Then she got the DKL gig and the immunocompromised status mysteriously disappeared (Praise Beans - a miracle!). The she coughed twice one weekend and had to isolate and do the first week from her kitchen, from which LJC evilly stole all the broadband. BUT she slipped and went out to buy a giant lemon, and then her isolation period was myseriously truncated, so she suddenly appeared in the studio the following week. Whereupon all the presenters and production crew promptly wished she hadn't.

I just loaded up one of the daily kitchen videos and she's showing us the microfibre slippers she uses to sweep up cat hair

View attachment 1519007

Send coroner-os, I'm deceased
Has....has she got her feet rammed into a pair of pumpkins or have I had an aneurysm?

• Haha
Reactions: 39
Just to add to that list (and others) she had no clue about what she was doing or saying. She was bloody rude to both Matt as well as guests. The first week was filmed in her kitchen which was disgusting with an overflowing bin. Her tech skills were shocking, despite being given equipment by the BBC. She blamed all of the crappiness on Louisa, very publicly humiliating her on Twitter. She constantly looked at her phone when the camera was on her. Her speaking voice is very nasal and she has no idea about tone and banter. She had a rictus grin throughout, unless she was annoyed and her face turned to a scowl.
A particular highlight was when the camera wouldn't pan round to her. The camera crew had obviously learnt by the second week to focus on Matt and the guest instead of her and her food. She could be seen, slightly to the side waving her hands and stamping her foot to get them to swing the camera round to her. Matt's face was incredible. Like he wanted to tell her to duck off but suddenly remembered he was on live telly.
HOWEVER, it was absolutely hilarious and I recommend everyone watch it!
Matt was incredible as were the other guests. His body language got more and more deflated as the fortnight went on. On the last day however he had a little skip in his step because he knew it was nearly over.
The cringe continued after the show ended. Jack spent quite some time trying to get Matt and his wife to engage with her on Twitter. Such classics as 'our cheeky little duo'and thanking Mrs Matt for lending her husband to Jack. Neither have ever responded. She also went on about how this was the beginning of her telly career, which as we know never happened beyond a handful of rentagob moments.
Eh hem. I think you will find that Jack found the two weeks of 29 hour days - the prep, the rehearsing, the forensic checking of breaking news etc etc so exhausting for a smol pixie she took an entirely voluntary break from television. Absolutely Jack's choice.

• Haha
Reactions: 41
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.