Jack Monroe #364 I used to quite like Jack until I started paying attention

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What Happened in Dordrecht

"Did you enjoy your meal, darling?"

"Yes absolutely - I was a bit disappointed they didn't have a salad bar though. I have no idea why Harvester hasn't taken off over here."

"Well, at least we managed to find the one bar in all the Netherlands that's showing the Eastenders omnibus. I didn't know you were such a fan - you're so full of surprises. Anyway, there's something I've been meaning to talk to you about..."

"Oh me too, what a coincidence, HAHAHAHA! We're so in sync, it's like we're two halves of the same person or something. Shall I go first?"

"Sure, why not."

"HAROLDWILLYOUMARRYME"

"Er...I'm not quite sure what to say...I mean, we haven't been seeing each other for long and this is a big decision..."

"Oh, it's OK, I don't expect you to give me an answer right away, I mean, I've only planned this evening for months and spent a huge chunk of my 150 hour working week researching wedding venues. It's fine. I'm fine. I just thought this would give us something nice to focus on instead of the mendacious faceless trolls who all want me to STOP BREATHING. Never mind, just take some time to think about it and let me know, next week maybe?"

"I'll...do that. Was there anything else you wanted to talk about?"

"Oh, yes. You see, it's such a hassle for you having to drive all the way from your little shop in the City to my humble shack in the ghetto of Southend in your massive car. I thought it would be nice if we moved in together."

"Oh...did you?"

"Yes, and don't worry, you don't need to get involved with all the planning and house hunting, I know how busy you are. You'll just have to sign a bit of paperwork, but I'll sort the rest. I've booked an appointment with a mortgage adviser and a pedicure just before - no reason, HAHAHAHA. We'll need somewhere with a spare bedroom or five, too."

"...Why is that?"

"Harold, I'm a week late! I know we're not trying, and it's probably nothing, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I did get pregnant, would it? I mean, I've done it before and it's basically like having a houseplant, HAHAHAHA. Anyway, I've waffled on long enough - what did you want to talk to me about?"

"Oh...don't worry, it can wait till we're back home. I wouldn't want to spoil the rest of the holiday."

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 119
I know that Jackā€™s inconsistencies are a huge part of what has brought people here, but somehow Iā€™m still blindsided by some of them. How can Jack not see that this post from December 2021 makes an absolute mockery of their latest blog, in which they claimed they have been making their own shower gel for over a year due to being so skint. It clearly states that none of those luxury products are #gifted. How can the squigs defend this?

Also, what the actual hell is that haircut? Toni and Guy, hang up your scissors in shame.
They just donā€™t pay enough attention! A lot of people donā€™t.
To be honest I quite like the haircut.

• Wow
Reactions: 19
What Happened in Dordrecht

"Did you enjoy your meal, darling?"

"Yes absolutely - I was a bit disappointed they didn't have a salad bar though. I have no idea why Harvester hasn't taken off over here."

"Well, at least we managed to find the one bar in all the Netherlands that's showing the Eastenders omnibus. I didn't know you were such a fan - you're so full of surprises. Anyway, there's something I've been meaning to talk to you about..."

"Oh me too, what a coincidence, HAHAHAHA! We're so in sync, it's like we're two halves of the same person or something. Shall I go first?"

"Sure, why not."

"HAROLDWILLYOUMARRYME"

"Er...I'm not quite sure what to say...I mean, we haven't been seeing each other for long and this is a big decision..."

"Oh, it's OK, I don't expect you to give me an answer right away, I mean, I've only planned this evening for months and spent a huge chunk of my 150 hour working week researching wedding venues. It's fine. I'm fine. I just thought this would give us something nice to focus on instead of the mendacious faceless trolls who all want me to STOP BREATHING. Never mind, just take some time to think about it and let me know, next week maybe?"

"I'll...do that. Was there anything else you wanted to talk about?"

"Oh, yes. You see, it's such a hassle for you having to drive all the way from your little shop in the City to my humble shack in the ghetto of Southend in your massive car. I thought it would be nice if we moved in together."

"Oh...did you?"

"Yes, and don't worry, you don't need to get involved with all the planning and house hunting, I know how busy you are. You'll just have to sign a bit of paperwork, but I'll sort the rest. I've booked an appointment with a mortgage adviser and a pedicure just before - no reason, HAHAHAHA. We'll need somewhere with a spare bedroom or five, too."

"...Why is that?"

"Harold, I'm a week late! I know we're not trying, and it's probably nothing, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I did get pregnant, would it? I mean, I've done it before and it's basically like having a houseplant, HAHAHAHA. Anyway, I've waffled on long enough - what did you want to talk to me about?"

"Oh...don't worry, it can wait till we're back home. I wouldn't want to spoil the rest of the holiday."
She should have checked herself before she Dordrecht herself.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 151
I think that I did this wrong and got a very strange article, some nice photos tho.
I have no idea how to get rid of quote tweet when I accidentally click on it! It wonā€™t let me change it! šŸ¤¦šŸ½ā€ā™€ļø Anyway bit behind but has anyone seen Tom Kerridge signed up to do M&S budget meals for Ā£25 a week? Itā€™s got decent reviews and doesnā€™t look like itā€™s fell out a labradoodles arse!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 56
I actually saw someone had done a Ā£16 a week meal plan the other day. That leaves Ā£4 in the budget for a bottle of shower gel, a lightbulb and a few hours of electric to run it.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 57
No-cook slug roll. At these point they are just brazen! Plagiarisers!
Two of the few things I hate in life...slugs and mustard. A bit niche I know and may lead to me being šŸ”ŗļø (those and brown sauce. The work of the devil)

Back to grunking, two pages open at once. Yesterday's and last week's.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 62
catching up after a few days offā€¦ Arghhhhh! Her supporters are so utterly ridiculous, and again itā€™s offensive how little they know about being poor, to the point where any old poverty-sounding phrases are seen as plausible.

the pawn shop thing has been prickling away in my mind for a couple of weeks, but the rings has solidified the issue; pawn shops are not necessarily part of being poor. shes gone for the dramatic sounding, Dickensian thing. Ebay exists. People pay good money on there. Jewellery dealers exist.
a pawn shop implies she will buy it back. But thereā€™s also another factor here; as an advocate for living on a shoestring, Monroeā€™s USP if she has one is doing so relatively successfully. The chaos of her life suggests she isnt able to do it anywhere near as well as 90% of working class people in poverty.
My speculation is that trips to pawn shops to get quick easy cash suggests a craving or dependence. Incidentally cash converter type places are used by gambling addicts and people who need drugs

Reactions: 52
I have no idea how to get rid of quote tweet when I accidentally click on it! It wonā€™t let me change it! šŸ¤¦šŸ½ā€ā™€ļø Anyway bit behind but has anyone seen Tom Kerridge signed up to do M&S budget meals for Ā£25 a week? Itā€™s got decent reviews and doesnā€™t look like itā€™s fell out a labradoodles arse!
This keeps happening to me too. No idea how to get rid.

Reactions: 10
I mean, when I was at my poorest - and post break up and not in a great way - around 11 years ago, I took a few Xbox games to cash converters to be able to afford a couple of beers with friends. It probably wasnā€™t the healthiest choice to make, but it meant I got to have a bit of enjoyment. But the crucial thing is, my mates would have shouted me the beers if Iā€™d been honest with them and said I was having a rough time. But my dignity mattered, so I wanted to give the impression of holding it all together - going to cash converters to pay for a couple of beers at a local was not how I wanted to be seen.
but Jackā€™s whole ā€œbrandā€ is ostensibly based on the idea that she has something to teach people about managing on next to nothing. But she doesnā€™t. And itā€™s gross that the wealthy celebs can actually relate to the ā€œoh god, well at least she hasnā€™t had to sell the orginal Eminā€.
even if she is pawning her rings because sheā€™s skint, youā€™d think itā€™d be essential to her public standing to have a bit of dignity. Even if she said ā€œeven I have to admit that Iā€™m struggling financially at the momentā€, thatā€™s fine. But she is creating a narrative about poverty that doesnā€™t reflect what itā€™s actually like.

• Heart
Reactions: 89
Morning all. Catching up so forgiveness where it may land. Jack (and other 'celebs', yes I'm looking at you Ralf), this is how you raise money for a cause you believe in. You make a post and you link to the place where the money needs to go. No passwords or bank accounts required. There, not hard is it? (And please don't tell me there's anything bad about BB - I couldn't take it!)

Screenshot 2022-08-16 at 11.15.00.png

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 123
Morning all. Catching up so forgiveness where it may land. Jack (and other 'celebs', yes I'm looking at you Ralf), this is how you raise money for a cause you believe in. You make a post and you link to the place where the money needs to go. No passwords or bank accounts required. There, not hard is it? (And please don't tell me there's anything bad about BB - I couldn't take it!)

View attachment 1502858
I'm a huge Bill fan, and I've only ever read things about him being a lovely human. Think we're safe ā˜ŗ

• Heart
Reactions: 62
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.