Jack Monroe #356 I can put 30p in the mortgage, Harold!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She’s turned it around on Twitter hasn’t she? It’s absolutely astounding.

But all those kind tweets aren’t going to pay the bills

Sadly they appear to be also chucking cashos her way, lots of #bekind tweets adding “I’ve sent you something” via tip jar, PayPal etc, she’s making money off this.

DBEEDF3A-2FC6-4B1E-B909-7AB16F749530.jpeg

• Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 63
Nobody who presents themselves as the public face of a charity should be alternately* asking for personal donations. It wouldn't happen in the real world so it shouldn't be happening online.

*more than alternately, actually - she posts her own paypal deets more than she posts the Trussell Trust's ones
Such a good point. It would be like someone standing by the doors in Tesco with two donation tins - one official one for a charity and the other one with a label with “I live beyond my means, please help” scribbled on it with a Sharpie.

• Haha
Reactions: 65
To me one of the things that always made her story not add up was the fact she never applied for a council house… with a 12 year old she would be entitled to a 2 bed and would have the option of a garden if needed. It just doesn’t make any sense.

I find middle class people are often terrified and snobby of council housing, even just the words, not realising what it can really be like and the variety.
Older council houses in particular can be lovely. They often have larger rooms and gardens than non-council new builds do, and feel more substantial. The ones near me all have these glorious big picture windows. Of course, a lot of them have been sold off.

In her most recent post, Jack begins by saying “I’m not poor”, so I think she knows she would not be eligible for council housing. She’s not complaining about being poor, just that she now has to pay 94% of the rent on an 800k crappy be-staired bungalow, so she has to downsize (which doesn’t really make sense as a complaint because she must’ve been on the hook for the full amount before Old Harold moved in). That’s what I found so galling about Hunger Hurts 2: she wrote a whole snot-soaked tragedy grift piece not about being in poverty but about having to downsize and sell her Tiffany baubles or whatever. She wrote like it was a huge tragedy on a par with her experience 10 years ago when she was (at least pretending to be) on the breadline with no safety net. It’s an insult to every struggling single mother with no safety net. It’s also really strange because she’s expecting the same sympathy for not really being poor as she did for actually being poor.

• Heart
Reactions: 64
Her squigs are so thick. One of them suggested that if you had a child with a tomato allergy, rinsing the hoops would mean they would be able to eat them 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 76
I always donate to our long-established local independent foodbank. They don t appear when I search for them on the Find a Food Bank function on the Trussell Trust website.

ThevTrussell Trust does not make it explicit on their website that independent Food banks are not listed.
No they don’t. And the TT operates on a referral basis. You can’t just rock up & ask for help. Unlike the independent ones. TT want to know all about your circumstances, in detail, as they push the narrative that it’s your inability to budget & manage your finances that brings you to a food bank in the first place. Also very heavy church vibe. Full of people “doing good” as volunteers, many quite smugly.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 65
It’s lonely on the last thread 😩. So I thought I would jump forward and play to my strengths

089B6308-CE57-4F0D-90F4-30C8AA2394A8.jpeg

Wankbot wankbot, he’s a wankbot
He loves to fight her battles, he’s the only friend she’s got

YEAH!

(#saltylenny)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 102
Her squigs are so thick. One of them suggested that if you had a child with a tomato allergy, rinsing the hoops would mean they would be able to eat them 🤦🏻‍♀️
This whole thing has been wildly eye-opening for me. There’s a whole class of people just sitting there gormlessly, pockets overflowing with cash, dim as a solar lantern at 4am, just waiting to be ripped off.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 72
While she may have asked for this very vocal adoration, searching things like ‘rinsed hoops’ is showing lots of common sense people still questioning her and openly discussing the grift. She’s just not being tagged or named in the threads. So that’s a relief.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
That’s what I found so galling about Hunger Hurts 2: she wrote a whole snot-soaked tragedy grift piece not about being in poverty but about having to downsize and sell her Tiffany baubles or whatever. She wrote like it was a huge tragedy on a par with her experience 10 years ago when she was (at least pretending to be) on the breadline with no safety net. It’s an insult to every struggling single mother with no safety net. It’s also really strange because she’s expecting the same sympathy for not really being poor as she did for actually being poor.
THIS is the crux of the matter and what riled me. Posts on twitter about her recipes being pants are unfortunately muddying the water and allowing her to play victim to a 'pile-on'. It's the emotionally manipulative nature of her blog post, and then directions to being tipped for said blog post, which is filled with things that don't add up at all, which personally grates my mushrooms above anything else.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
You can tell these people know nothing about foodbanks. Do they think people go in and say "oh by the way, my child has a tomato allergy" and a big angry Victorian man in a top hat comes out and roars at them to take what they're given and rinse the hoops to feed to the brat before a mass chant of "shut your legs" starts up. Any foodbank I've had any involvement in spends a bit of time asking people about allergies, ethical/religious requirements and plain old preferences. What would be the point of sending a Muslim home with a tin of pork or a vegan with tinned mac and cheese?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 87
I remember when jack first found tattle a few years ago - right away she started down the legal threats saying how tattle better find a lawyer and said how many Katie Hopkins had 😆.

Tattle hasn't even had a threatening, but ultimately meaningless, legal letter yet from her. Tattle gets a couple of those pretty much every week.
That was funny. Especially bbc when she threatened to track us down using her super special triangulation skills.

• Haha
Reactions: 41
Older council houses in particular can be lovely. They often have larger rooms and gardens than non-council new builds do, and feel more substantial. The ones near me all have these glorious big picture windows. Of course, a lot of them have been sold off.

In her most recent post, Jack begins by saying “I’m not poor”, so I think she knows she would not be eligible for council housing. She’s not complaining about being poor, just that she now has to pay 94% of the rent on an 800k crappy be-staired bungalow, so she has to downsize (which doesn’t really make sense as a complaint because she must’ve been on the hook for the full amount before Old Harold moved in). That’s what I found so galling about Hunger Hurts 2: she wrote a whole snot-soaked tragedy grift piece not about being in poverty but about having to downsize and sell her Tiffany baubles or whatever. She wrote like it was a huge tragedy on a par with her experience 10 years ago when she was (at least pretending to be) on the breadline with no safety net. It’s an insult to every struggling single mother with no safety net. It’s also really strange because she’s expecting the same sympathy for not really being poor as she did for actually being poor.
Yes totally agree. And then she has to up the drama by making it known to everyone it has to be a 1 bed flat where SB gets the bedroom. A 2 bed flat with a garden would be a massive saving and downsize compared to her current situation. There’s no need for her to play martyr and go even smaller. TBH though I don’t actually believe she’s any intention of moving into a 1 bed. She just wants people to believe that for the pity points and make out like she has it even harder than someone in a social housing situation who would at least get a bedroom for the boy.

• Heart
Reactions: 55
Also, just to say: there is nothing that reeks more of privilege than to threaten to take legal action against more than one person because you don’t like that they’ve highlighted inconsistencies in your own statements.
it’s disgusting, it is tone deaf and it just shows her double standards when it comes to free speech. I’d love it if TK was quietly softly speaking to a lawyer and she got a taste of her own medicine. He wont, of course because people generally don’t just threaten legal action like that, but she’d get her comeuppance if someone done that to her in response to all her nasty, horrible actions.

ETA see also: Wayne Rooney’s wife’s case. I can see why she brought that case but at the same time it’s money talks isn’t it?
A different court, I appreciate, but if you’ve been a victim of a serious crime and your case has stalled because of the backlog in the court system, to see someone who’s supposed to represent swathes of poor people, such as Jack, wanting to jump the queue to limit freedom of speech must be sickening.
Hopefully he'll send a cease and desist, she’s fond of those

Reactions: 22
THIS is the crux of the matter and what riled me. Posts on twitter about her recipes being pants are unfortunately muddying the water and allowing her to play victim to a 'pile-on'. It's the emotionally manipulative nature of her blog post, and then directions to being tipped for said blog post, which is filled with things that don't add up at all, which personally grates my mushrooms above anything else.
Yes, I enjoy the rinsed hoops banter as much as the next person, I’ve been cackling to myself about this stuff for two days now, but it also makes me feel sorry for her, which is not what I want to be feeling. There’s a difference between attacking someone for grifting and attacking someone for not being good at their job.

Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.