Jack Monroe #344 344%

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I do find if odd at the age erm..34? She is still looking for validation for mates, when most people i know of a similar age are actually doing the opposite and not caring what people think or expect of them. She lives her in one of those wanky teenage dramas, just to make her sound interesting.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
@LennyBriscoe, I've given it some thought and she is actually breaking Tradition 11 which is: Our Public Relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, films (and the internet).”

I suppose some groups might deputise an old timer to have a quiet word.

I was once asked to do this for a member who was repeatedly sharing details of the meeting in question on Instagram (which I don't have). I tried to gently suggest that this wasn't on but was met with a barrage of guff about how this person found this oversharing to be vital to their recovery. When I later took a harder line on the basis that it was breaking tradition 11 and therefore harmful to the meeting and other members, I was met with such a flood of defensive tantrumming that I immediately backed off thinking, ok darling, do it your own way. Encountered said person a few years later. Sure enough, they'd relapsed.

But newer or more vulnerable members might think it's cool. Either way, it's TOTALLY against AA traditions, certainly in the spirit, and also, I now think, in the letter, and this sort of behaviour encourages cliques, insecurities, arguments and makes people fear for their anonymity. It does not create an environment conducive to recovery. I am irritated and saddened to see it.

I suppose someone at the meeting could have had a word with the secretary expressing their concerns. But she IS the secretary. :(
Thanks @moldwarp, it’s embarrassing how little I know about the Traditions! My last two Home Groups have Group Chairperson, I think most groups here do. But as I’ve said before, it’s different in even different parts of Scotland.

Your experience is how I imagine Jack would react, if she is at the meetings how she is on Twitter. You would be wrong and she’d be right! I hope someone speaks to the Group Chair. There are reasons why things like Secretary position should be given to people over a year sober.

I’m Facebook friends with a lot of AA-ers and occasionally someone will ‘check in’ and write something about serenity but never anything on this scale. Knowing what I know about Jack, it’s almost like she wants someone to ‘out’ where her meeting is or that she goes there. It would be optimum sadfishing opportunity.

this story always sticks in my mind. And Jack’s old mucker Piers Morgan was the Editor at the time

ETA - so she does have a sponsor? Any Southend AA-ers, if you have any concerns about Jack’s online behaviour in relation to AA, it would definitely be worth raising it with someone - even if it’s your own sponsor. This is not what AA should be like.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
What.The.Actual.Foof is that THING she does at 1:57?
Aw, her poor little shaky voice as she trails off at the end of lines - she becomes a baby elephant staring into the eyes of a giant mouse, bless.
Why the hell did I watch that to the end? #dayruined
aw man for the love of duck
knew I shouldn't have but still feckin CLICKED
weeping

• Haha
Reactions: 20
The organisers should shift the meetings Jack is attending, ideally to a venue next to a roundabout or T-junction

• Haha
Reactions: 33
She's her own worst enemy. She always has to be the quirkiest, the craziest, the best cook, the best baker, the only one who can handle a job.

When in reailty she is mediocre at most if not all of these and it would honestly see hee in good stead if she was just her boring old self.

Reactions: 29
Here we go again. Thing is Jack, I can’t really think of a period in history, in the entire world, when human beings didn’t suffer anxiety and stress. Early Homo sapiens had never heard of Maslows hierarchy of needs but I’m sure they still got stressed when a woolly mammoth was rampaging about outside their tent. The citizens of the Soviet Union did have their material needs met (sort of) but alcoholism andsuicide rates were so high that the Party had to plaster cities with posters which begged citizens not to get drunk and beat their children. At the other end, you can have everything on Maslows hierarchy of needs but still have stress and anxiety because your job as a CEO requires 18 hours a day, or because youre a rock star and your fans won’t stop coming up to you and asking for autographs.

It is incredibly unhelpful to ascribe all mental illness to government policy.

And while I’ve got you: AA is about humility, unity and helping the still struggling alcoholic. It is not a platform to get fame and attention. I presume you know, as I do, that there are A list celebrities who are AA members. You may have seen the odd one at meetings. I have. They’re quiet, humble and never talk about the meetings outside the room. They certainly don’t use the meetings as a way to burnish their own ego. If they can manage it, why can’t you?
I feel like we should print this off (or actually painstakingly transcribe it by hand) and mail it to her. Nailed it.

Reactions: 17
I do actually agree with jacks points that minimum wage shop workers and factory workers should get paid more than enough "just to get by" everyone deserves holidays and food on the table each and every week. I think actual single mom's get hit the hardest, especially on a one income household where they have no one else to rely on. The issue is with Jack fighting this corner, she's not a minimum wage worker. She gets quite a fair bit of money from writing shopping lists and making TV appearances. I seen someone post here yesterday something about sending her to have a visit to South Bank, I live near by to there, genuine poverty, generations of families dragged up on benefits, barely anything around especially for those who don't drive. It's desolate, full of actual single mothers and hostile people. If she did visit and tell them she could relate they'd take offence and most likely Rob her as she's middle class and not an actual poor.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I know this was a few pages back but I’m still stuck on her travelling from Essex into Kent for a meeting. To get between the two counties you have to cross the Thames, which either means going into London and back out again or driving to Dartford and doing the tunnel or bridge (depending if you’re going north or south). Both London and Dartford involve a charge if you’re driving, while the train is a long and quite expensive journey which would take a minimum of two trains and a tube train depending on where in Kent she’s going. I really can’t get my head around this one at all.
She’s lying - Jimmy Nail gif (can’t do the techie stuff).

Reactions: 12
I know this was a few pages back but I’m still stuck on her travelling from Essex into Kent for a meeting. To get between the two counties you have to cross the Thames, which either means going into London and back out again or driving to Dartford and doing the tunnel or bridge (depending if you’re going north or south). Both London and Dartford involve a charge if you’re driving, while the train is a long and quite expensive journey which would take a minimum of two trains and a tube train depending on where in Kent she’s going. I really can’t get my head around this one at all.
I'd assumed they both travel into London - my second assumption is there are a lot more meetings, so able to find one that suits you, away from people you've known before.

Thank you to all the lovely Fraus & Herrs sharing your experiences of AA. It's eye opening and very interesting - in the context of this thread and the wider world.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Poca's going to tell us off if we go to another page.
If nobody Is geared up, I can do a new thread, but I don’t have a recap ready

New thread this way toot toot

please leave all mutant ‘biscuits' behind

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 32
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.