Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Pimpinella

Chatty Member
About 10 years ago I promised myself that I would never again read any book that was getting pumped by matey matey media luvvies eg Nigella, Caitlin Moran, India "Evil" Knight, you know the types. I've been so much happier and better read ever since.
I won't read anything with a pastel cover or which is termed chick lit. It offends my retinas. Golden age crime for me.... I do race through the written versions of Midsomer style crime but they are a distraction with tea and toast .

Reactions: 21

Ostapbender

VIP Member
If that's referring to me, like I said I didn't go to uni, I went on an evening and I went after spending many years at writing groups. I am also a voracious reader who loves words.

You either have a talent for it, or you don't, but anyone can get better if they practise and have help. I've spent many evenings listing to turgid, overwritten prose produced by people who after receiving their feedback from the rest of the group replied with 'well I'm not changing a word as it's perfect' despite it being painfully dull.

One of the most charming, wonderful pieces of writing was written by a guy who left school at 15 and it was his life as a gardener, sounds so dull but we all looked forward every month to the next bit as he had a wonderful way with words, that really deserved to get published.

She really needs to find a writing group, take a piece she is working on and listen to her feedback but in her own words SHAN'T!
Ah no it wasn't responding to you, I couldn't find the post I was referring to at that point; sorry for any confusion. Also, spot on x

RaeRae

Chatty Member
I got a shock at the price of Lurpak so ordered Sainsbury's own brand equivalent instead and I hate it 😭 now I have a massive thing of butter I hate but don't want to waste
It's a sad day as other brands just aren't the same as Lurpak 😭.

StringyMango

Chatty Member
The arrogance of her to assume she has the talent, acumen or creativity to draft a crime novel. Unless the antagonist is a moaning D-List social media personality who rinses Patreon subscribers like beans for thousands a month despite offering literally nothing in return. In which case, that’s more memoir than fiction.
Chapeau NomDeGuerre

Reactions: 20

Kittypops

VIP Member
So she's in her lovely big garden with her new puppy, throwing a hamburger plushie for the dog, and she literally can't be content in that moment, she has to be tweeting furious diatribes at strangers on twitter. It's tragic to witness.
She's one of those people who have everything pre-prepared to nonchalantly pull out of their arse, as if, oh, I just thought this up...

• Haha

Cookiecookie

VIP Member
She’d be such a terrible fiction writer, her protagonist would be a horrible Mary Sue, simultaneously the biggest victim with the most tragic possible backstory and brave and strong and loved by all. The villain would be an evil Tory and everyone else would be bumbling yokels who don’t have the brains and moxie of our pixie and cheer her on from the slide lines as she defeats Lord Snootington.
I think you must've seen her manuscript already! That'll be exactly it 😂

• Haha