Jack Monroe #314 Take care on the stairs you pretend to fall down repeatedly

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh ffs I was about to log off for the evening...
She wants an old house rather than a new one because new ones don’t last.

I understand what she is saying about the build quality of some new builds but she really has no idea about the cost of upkeep of older houses does she?

• Heart
Reactions: 39

I understand what she is saying about the build quality of some new builds but she really has no idea about the cost of upkeep of older houses does she?
I can’t tell if she meant that or was just being sarky in reply to the “Good news everyone - jack will be taking more money for scrounging and Tory bashing so she can buy her new house” tweet

• Haha
Reactions: 29

Yup. Our windows are starting to go. So new windows in 5-10 years….

Reactions: 27
my husband bought a house built in 1615. Oh it’s going to outlast me he said ! True. 5 years later after he died and it’s falling down.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 43

Especially for single buyers / FTB it’d make so much more sense to overpay the mortgage and bank that cash for the next house rather than a rewire, a new kitchen, a new bathroom, skimming all the artex, etc etc.

Honestly how is she being snobby about houses when she was basically shooed out Barclays like a rodent?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 54
Quoting myself because it's just occurred to me that she's previously said that if she were to buy her own house she's be paying a third of what she pays for rent, and yet this says she'd have to pay £1.5k a month which is also pretty much exactly what she claims to pay in rent. Dingbat.

Oooh I wonder if she tried to persuade OH to get a mortgage with her and they said “not today satan” and ran off like a rat up a downpipe

• Haha
Reactions: 50
Personally I never felt as scrutinised as some of the applications described in this thread, our applications (n=2) have always been far more focused on fixed outgoings eg current mortgage/rent, vehicles, savings/investments, childcare, rough food/living budget, debt, etc. I assume they see discretionary spending eg John Lewis and Cotswolds as something you can and would scale back on as meeting your mortgage would be the priority?

The only spending we’ve ever been asked to explain is nursery fees and I’m imagining it’s because it’s a few grand a month so must meet some threshold for materiality/regularity they have? We weren’t even asked about crypto and we thought that’d duck our impromptu application up. The impression I’ve got both times is they only really care about solid documentable declared income tbh. Unlike the squigs banks don’t pretend you can calculate someone’s worthiness based upon perceived morality/social capital. And where would it end, being asked to document that you do indeed still have your pleather graffiti Diesel jacket to auction off in case you can’t meet this month’s payments? 🫠
My first year of Uni, with 2 primary school kids in wrap around and a toddler in day care, the childcare bill was £2400 per MONTH. Thank duck for the childcare grant covering 85% of it, and my eldest going into Y7 in my second year. Youngest is at school now but it’s still £1800 a month for wrap around for two. It’ll drop this year again as middle goes up to secondary.

That’s Midlands prices too.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 20
This is probably fairly accurate, but when has Jack ever saved?
I wouldn't be surprised if there is either a protected fund or simply an offer from Jack's family to cover a large deposit. They're clearly fiscally responsible, however one might feel about private landlords, and don't particularly take any rubbish from Jack. So they will be unlikely to give her that kind of sum to fritter away, but will happily leave it somewhere she can only use from that purpose.

Reactions: 30
The bit about moving SB - what about when you uprooted him entirely to London for Allegra after about a week and then had to drag him back again when she dumped you?
Are we sure Squig wasn’t meaning Leigh or Basildon?

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.