Jack Monroe #313 You people are weird

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am fascinated by the way Jack has quietly erased her previous 2-week-long campaign to become an MP from history.

Sadly for her, it was actually reported on:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 66
Just wanted to say, it’s not really any kind of gotcha to say Rishi mate probably owns energy company shares. Practically anyone with a pension indirectly owns shares in energy companies. Of course Rishi does. So what? The reason she’s the only one forensically digging into this (how? Googling?) is that everybody else knows its insignificant.
Suprised she didn't uncover all the stuff about his wife's tax status when she was forensically digging. That would have been a big story for her to break!

• Haha
Reactions: 53
Wow. Very interesting, not dissimilar to TTrust but more defensive than the TTrust.
So what is stage 2 of the complaints process? Where can they correspond with you further if not 'here' ?
Wonder if anyone 'in the wild' has done similar with superdrug?
I don't have as much disrespect for superdrug as I do the guardian and r4 for giving her a platform..it is seemingly predominantly non Tories (don't quote me, made up stats) who use r4 and the guardian as their trusted media sources of information and they can definitely impact how 'the people' / chattering classes think about those less well off or needing extra support.
Using jack is a backwards step.
Its not 2013, she's no longer relevant. Her experience is outdated and her jacktivism is completely self serving to keep her in the public eye and getting gigs. Nothing else.
V lazy broadcasting BBC radio 4 , get some new voices. If they have to be middle class like jack then find a middle class family who are actually struggling and have relevant current relatable experience, because there's plenty out there.
Better yet, expand your reach by inviting people who are not The Acceptable Face of The Poors ™ and treat them like actual human beings rather than exhibits to cluck about from a distance.
We need to move on from the benefit street Jeremy Kyle representation of regular folks and give voice to non media trained real people.

Wow, cool fact bro/ granny/ pal!
Definitely want to explore this further. Be a nice change from fruitlessly slating fack mon-no
I'm holding fire on Superdrug till I see what her contribution actually consists of... 🧐

• Haha
Reactions: 33
I once worked 7 days a week while living 'chaotically'. Five in a head shop and two in a tattoo shop. Obviously I didn't have kids and sometimes literally didn't sleep. I'm not bragging, you just do things when you're young(ish). Plenty friends did similar! I've also had day jobs in cafes and night jobs in pubs. Boo boo! Unlike poor Jack, I got paid and was happy to be funding my own modest life style.
What's a head shop please? I am unfamiliar with your body of work

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
I am fascinated by the way Jack has quietly erased her previous 2-week-long campaign to become an MP from history.

Sadly for her, it was actually reported on:

So she's saying the Hopkins money helped fund her campaign.

• Wow
Reactions: 23
every time jack wails about being the only person ‘doing the legwork on this’ i come here to try and type out my thoughts but i feel so angry and frustrated that i can’t articulate them.
I’ve been in meetings today hearing from people working minimum wage night jobs as single support workers in 40-person unit housing projects, dealing with emergencies day after day with barely any support yet somehow managing to hold it all together…. just one example of millions jobs like this with people doing actual tangible work with actual people, yet jack thinks she is single handedly saving the world and deserves constant praise for lying around on her lazy bleeping arse sending out practically indecipherable tweets about how tired and furious she is and occasionally slinging lentils and cheap processed bacon into a slow cooker. I absolutely dislike her she is USELESS.

• Heart
Reactions: 86
Gently, softly shuffling back into this thread like a smol pixie gliding along Per Rialto because I've been away (and BUSY) and am completely unsurprised to see that as surely as night follows day, Our Jackie continues to be a total and utter twazzock and indeed is getting worse. Some random thoughts form me:

1. As previous Fraus have pointed out, she is getting more enraged and outrageous. I used to think she was just ('just', ha) a narcissist and a liar, but now I think she might also just be an incredibly mean, unpleasant person who wouldn't recognise the Truth if it dressed in a tutu and a raggedy Calvin Klein sports bra and sat on her traumatised sideboard singing I AM THE TRUTH to the tune of Dido or whatever else horrible middle of the road shite she likes

2. I think Harold's LEFT

3. I'm pretty annoyed about the Superdrug partnership, hygiene poverty is a real and horrible thing (I lived 8 years in a room with no washing machine facilities, even in the shared kitchen, and two years in a room in a house with a coin operated shower. The shame of having difficulty in taking care of your own hygiene due to cost / accessibility is real, ugly and doesn't get talked about enough). I would like to see that platform given to someone with real lived experience who can talk about it in a knowledgeable and empathetic way, and not just see it as a platform to push forward their on career / ego.

The insistence that she was literally starving, which she attempted to back up with a photo of her looking well-fed and healthy, was so dumb I can't even. Also, and I've been thinking about this for a while but hesitated to raise it because potentially triggering but....the issue with Jack's tales is starvation is that her timeline of starving through poverty and starving through anorexia are basically simultaneous. So which one was it? Starvation due to material poverty and starvation as the major symptom of a highly complex mental health condition are both dreadful, but they are two very different things and it's disingenuous to switch from one to the other depending on what dopamine hit she's chasing at the time. Also, as another Frau pointed out, death by starvation due to poverty is very rare, thankfully, in the UK and has been since the 1950s at least. In all of the tragic cases that are mentioned in the media, there has been another contributing factor, usually complex mental health conditions. Malnutrition, now, that's a different thing. But it's shockingly thoughtless of Jack to larp about literal starvation when this is, horribly, still a thing in some parts of the world, and then defend it with a photo of herself looking curvy and well nutritioned.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 89
...I'll bet it was bleeping edited!
I wonder if she waffled on about an evil bunch of ninnies who are out to get her with their mendacious lies about the VBI. She never SAID it would be done in a weekend alright? Why does everything she say get twisted when she is the only one actually doing something? Ending up with 'BUT I'M NOT BOTHERED'.

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Just couldn’t leave jacks ‘gloriously autistic’ comment alone. It is so offensive to keep doing this. I absolutely understand the idea of treating neuro-diversity as a gift. However, for so many it’s a life-altering sentence not a gift.

I’ve worked with parents with Autistic kids and it is so incredibly hard. I know parents who’ve never had a smile from their child in 20 years. Or never been told ‘I love you’ or indeed have been told by psychologists that their child doesn’t understand the concept of love.

She says ‘deep dive’ like it’s a fun hobby. I know people who cannot get their child to school unless they’ve reached block 1 million on minecraft & will literally collapse crying and screaming if they can’t.

I know parents who have had to give up careers to become carers. People on anti anxiety medication because they’re so afraid of the next call from the SEN school.

I know a family who booked a dream holiday to Disneyland (their son would only ever watch the film Cinderella on tv) who had to cancel it all because in the airport the tannoy system squeaked & their son freaked out.

It is gross to keep bathing in the ‘glory’ of an un-statemented diagnosis of something which can be completely debilitating & soul destroying for others & their families.

(I should add that the love & self sacrifice of so many of those parents is truly incredible & inspiring. And some of my most humbling moments have been seeing parents react to their children doing the smallest, most wonderful things. One teenager said thank you to a volunteer at our group one week & his mum burst into tears of pride & joy).

• Heart
Reactions: 103
Jack: don’t be so bleeping stupid. You know Nigella, for example. Do you really think £400 is a significant amount to her?? When she didn’t even notice her assistants skimming off £100,000’s for years?
And, for that matter, don’t pretend £400 is a significant amount to you either. You squandered that much on 1st class train tickets for a 3-day trip to Edinburgh. You have sideboards (multiple) and a water-rower worth 3 times that amount. You will have spent many times that amount staying in that expensive aparthotel in London for weeks last year, when a daily commute from Southend would have been just fine. Such a hypocrite.

• Heart
Reactions: 66
Just chiming in to say-

She uses iPhone so I'm guessing she's on the cloud.

You only get 5gb free storage, they then start charging you from 99p a month. I pay extra because I am a shutterbug. If Jack has 40k worth of photos, we're talking BIG MATHS. She paying a lot for all those.

Here's a thrify tip for you Jack. Stop bleeping about with years old emails, and go through your cloud instead, you'll save a small fortune monthly by doing one of your infamous deleting sprees.
Not 1 iPhone, but 2

Reactions: 32
her attempt at making ‘blind trust defence’ a thing has just reminded me of ‘nudge-hiss-erosion’ and now my lights are back on again

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
Gently, softly shuffling back into this thread like a smol pixie gliding along Per Rialto because I've been away (and BUSY) and am completely unsurprised to see that as surely as night follows day, Our Jackie continues to be a total and utter twazzock and indeed is getting worse. Some random thoughts form me:

1. As previous Fraus have pointed out, she is getting more enraged and outrageous. I used to think she was just ('just', ha) a narcissist and a liar, but now I think she might also just be an incredibly mean, unpleasant person who wouldn't recognise the Truth if it dressed in a tutu and a raggedy Calvin Klein sports bra and sat on her traumatised sideboard singing I AM THE TRUTH to the tune of Dido or whatever else horrible middle of the road shite she likes

2. I think Harold's LEFT

3. I'm pretty annoyed about the Superdrug partnership, hygiene poverty is a real and horrible thing (I lived 8 years in a room with no washing machine facilities, even in the shared kitchen, and two years in a room in a house with a coin operated shower. The shame of having difficulty in taking care of your own hygiene due to cost / accessibility is real, ugly and doesn't get talked about enough). I would like to see that platform given to someone with real lived experience who can talk about it in a knowledgeable and empathetic way, and not just see it as a platform to push forward their on career / ego.

The insistence that she was literally starving, which she attempted to back up with a photo of her looking well-fed and healthy, was so dumb I can't even. Also, and I've been thinking about this for a while but hesitated to raise it because potentially triggering but....the issue with Jack's tales is starvation is that her timeline of starving through poverty and starving through anorexia are basically simultaneous. So which one was it? Starvation due to material poverty and starvation as the major symptom of a highly complex mental health condition are both dreadful, but they are two very different things and it's disingenuous to switch from one to the other depending on what dopamine hit she's chasing at the time. Also, as another Frau pointed out, death by starvation due to poverty is very rare, thankfully, in the UK and has been since the 1950s at least. In all of the tragic cases that are mentioned in the media, there has been another contributing factor, usually complex mental health conditions. Malnutrition, now, that's a different thing. But it's shockingly thoughtless of Jack to larp about literal starvation when this is, horribly, still a thing in some parts of the world, and then defend it with a photo of herself looking curvy and well nutritioned.
Jack's version of events is that she had severe anorexia as a teenager. She recovered when she joined the fire service and started benchpressing monarchs, then she got pregnant and that fully cured her.

A lot of women who have had EDs actually relapae around pregnancy/childbirth - your body may not feel like your own anymore, you experience a major loss of control, and then there are the complexities of PPD etc. This is an area of healthcare that's been criminally neglected because women's health usually is, but pregnancy is a time when women are very vulnerable to MH issues, especially if they have a history already (severe anorexia), and especially if they spend their pregnancy suffering DV at the hands of an abusive partner, as Jack has claimed. Despite all of this, Jack's pregnancy marked the end of her severe anorexia.

Literal starvation would probably also cause a relapse in someone who has had an ED. Fortunately there is very little research in this area (fortunately because it's such a rare situation), but the Minnesota Starvation Experiment showed that patients with an extreme calorie deficit started to exhibit ED behaviour. If Jack were literally starving, and if Jack had previously suffered from anorexia, she would likely have relapsed...but by all accounts, she didn't.

TLDR: Jack lies about having anorexia. Jack lies about being starving. Jack lies about having a toaster FFS!

• Heart
Reactions: 48
Yikes. For once I think Jack was ahead of the game with her bin contents risotto or whatever it was.
This by Grace Dent about London's newest trendiest eatery.

'... having the arse end of a reclaimed turnip-top fricassee explained to me..'

#reluctantcreditwherecreditisdue

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Depends how you view it I guess.

Inflation is 9/10%

They put benefits up 3% so so they're 6 or 7% lower in tlreal terms.

They took the £20 uplift before that, but that was temporary anyway.

In absolute real terms.
The standard UC payment has gone up to £343 a month. Electric, gas, insurance, food etc is up so that £343 doesn't cover it and the government, instead of raising UC with inflation, is handing out £650 to help.

It's a bit like putting a Peppa Pig plaster on a gunshot wound.
My energy direct debit is £250 a month I cannot imagine having £90 to cover rent, other bills, food, it literally doesn't add up

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.