Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

blurstoftimes

VIP Member
reeling off all the bbc shows she's ever been in including R4 Conspcious Consumption: Presenter and R2 Steve Wright in the Afternoon is quite possibly the most Alan Partridge thing she's ever done

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 81

colouredlines

VIP Member
Rant incoming.

Another food writer, Ella Risbridger has just released her second cookery book (although she has written a book for children and anthology of poetry previously). She has experienced a truly traumatic event in losing her partner prematurely (and writes about this on her SM) yet has managed to publish this book and is putting out another one for children next year.

Her content is varied. She suffered from covid earlier this year, but the theme is consistent- food and how it helps her manage her grief and MH. There are no chaoses. She promotes others, she doesn’t go off on tangents or brings others down who are in the same profession. She manages to do all this while navigating what could be argued one of the the hardest things to go through.

Jack, in stark contrast claims to have had the biggest trauma ~ever~. It has scarred her forever. I know trauma is subjective. I know we all deal with things differently, but there comes a time where we have to move on, where it is not healthy to live in the past, where to relive the event (however minor in the objective sense, but traumatic for the sufferer) is not helping. Jack must look around her and see that there are others in her field that have had it harder but are doing more and her drip feeding tweets about “biggest meeting ever” or “look at all the work I have ever had ever in my life so there” is just making her look like a petulant child.

But as it says on so many gym walls- nothing changes if nothing changes.
I agree totally with this post. Now going off on a slight tangent re: Jack's obsession with trauma and everything being terrible:

It sucks, especially when she drags other people into it. I was thinking about this a lot lately with her latest "campaign", which largely seems to consist of shouting that people will starve to death and that buying cheap products, meal planning etc are intensely difficult - far beyond the capabilities of the average person - and ultimately futile, because starvation is just around the corner.

The thing is, well, people in rich countries in western Europe don't tend to starve to death. There's a reason Jack has a list of names - those people made the news, precisely because their cases were unusual. What's more, there are always underlying conditions that made these people especially vulnerable; in many cases, these are MH-related, as the people actually died by suicide.

Now imagine having a public platform and using it to tell vulnerable people, over and over again, that they are going to starve to death, that the government wants them dead, that there are no solutions for them. This is not just callous in the extreme, it's also incredibly irresponsible.

Jack could use her platform to highlight resources - lists of food banks, explanations of how different projects work that can be daunting (those food banks require a referral, but these ones don't. This one you can only use three times, but here's a Sikh temple that will feed you every day etc etc), descriptions of apps like Too Good To Go, community initiatives that have been set up to help people...

In the absence of bigger picture MH service reform, these vulnerable people need clear, simple signposts. They need to be told that yes, they CAN access food, and here's how. Instead, they get Jack Monroe gleefully bleating about how the Tories are killing them. It's sick.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 80

Nottonightbabe

VIP Member
Not true. I’ve worked with her. She is an extremely nice and very intelligent woman who is plagued by shyness & self-doubt. She’s not on another planet, she’s been through an awful lot and deals with it privately and without playing the victim.

She is very much a private person and a closed book, but also capable of acts of great kindness & generosity and has a reputation for treating those below her in the pecking order very well.
Sorry, but anyone who describes Jack as having "a finely tuned palate" and having a "deep and instinctive understanding of the alchemy of cooking", is in my opinion, on another planet. 🤷

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 80
Fuck that Glasgow event for cementing in the public perception her lies about being autistic. And she's spoken about disability issues? Since WHEN? That weird j1g-fuelled headteacher pile-on about a fascist school not catering for autistic kids does not count, nor does saying 'don't be mean I have ADHD 🥺'. Putting a wheelchair emoji in your Twitter name certainly doesn't count either. She doesn't give a fuck about disabled people because they aren't the all important Jack Monroe, the most severely afflicted person to ever have lived but only when embroiled in a Twitter spat or expected to do some actual work. She's really lapsang souchonged my prunes. I hope she completes a triumvirate of falling down the spiral stairs.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 79

ChickenPorridge

VIP Member
Imagine getting your rent OR your bills covered by free monthly money for doing naff all, and then saying it doesn't even cover your rent AND bills 🤣 I'll never get over this

• Heart
  • Angry

Wooh

VIP Member
Two radical frugalists sharing tips on plastic bags. #Campaigning #Activism. Completed it, mate

Screenshot_20220527-101324_Chrome.jpg

Spoiler:
They're fucking plastic bags: of course they're indestructible. You ARE the problem

• Haha
  • Heart

Mel Donte

Chatty Member
Screenshot_20220527-204304.png

Looks like Jack's ideas of deserving vs undeserving poor hasn't evolved since her "I'm not sitting in a tracksuit watching Jeremey Kyle" days.

PS. Tune into BBC Four now for a treat. Novak Nail

• Angry
  • Sad

Veronicaaa

VIP Member
And shared with half a million people. Can't she see that talking about her son is not acceptable?
It's really telling that she sees not taking the credit for something as some sort of sacrifice, even when it's giving that credit to her own son. I am not a mum or even an (official) auntie but surely it's perfectly normal to ~help~ a child do something and then be like 'go and show your mum/dad/granny what you've done', even when you did most of it yourself. Like ... why would it even occur to her to say I MADE THAT, HE DIDN'T. She gives me the chills, she really does.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 78

Tabitha D

VIP Member
Bit risky having SB present for the opening of “the Box”. What if it’s Space Twit’s cock and balls mounted on a plinth? Im thinking it has to be something along those lines for the weirdo to be so persistent about it for the last few weeks.
*shudder* 😕

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 77

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
1653601277561.png

A lot of jobs in a small amount of time isn't the epic burn, or proof of a hard worker, that she thinks it is. Obviously can't stick at anything for long or was sacked 🤷‍♀️.
I would say she was actually imagining some of them but we know she can't lie.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 76

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
1653753006844.png

And isn't that is quite the admission. She tweeted the bank details of the donation to Trussell Trust 'because of people like you'. So no intention of doing it otherwise then. Thank goodness people were on her case and pressed it or we would still be no nearer.
So much for the much promised 'complete transparency'.

Last edited:
  • Heart

NomDeGuerre

VIP Member
Is she really saying, however obliquely, that people who've had (quote unquote) good jobs are more deserving of help than those who might be there because of ingrained and endemic poverty? She is SUCH a Tory.

• Angry
  • Sad