Jack Monroe #296 Over cooked, under cooked, pumbling free

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I would say working a 12 hour shift in a covid ward wearing hot uncomfortable PPE would be exhausting. Not writing a load of self important bollocks. It’s not like she is writing Game of Thrones ffs!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 60
Writing is physically exhausting - is this what she means when she says she's got a physically demanding job lol
Actually she’s not wrong. When I’m on one writing wise (hasn’t happened for a while, part of reason considering getting around to that ADHD assessment) I’m always absolutely exhausted afterwards. But that’s creative writing which Jack doesn’t do…oh wait, yeah, yeah she does…!

ETA obviously she’s lying though

• Haha
Reactions: 27
This. I live in a largely council/social housing area and a lot of the families are migrant or non-white WC. By god the smells that come out when they cook are AMAZING!

I think they batch cook as it’s like once every 2 weeks the most amazing cookery smells fill the air.

my friend volunteers at a refugee centre and the ladies there cook for the volunteers to keep busy. Cooking is a social thing that they can share even with a language barrier. A lot of the food is basic things that are donated and would be common in food banks. Their lentil curries and dahs (forgive me for not knowing more specific terminology) are deliciois nutritious cheap and filling.

I think this is where Nadia H has become an national treasure- she is British but of an immigrant background and truly balances everything she loves about both food cultures and bringsthem together.

also she’s wicked funny, warm, and seems really nice. I have a couple of her books and they’re delicious 😋
The only times my weekly food costs really have been around £20 was when I was batch cooking Indian/Chinese/SE Asian vegetarian meals. They tend to have amazing flavours using nothing but rice, cheap veg and a small number of spices and things, and they almost never need to go in the oven either.

ETA: I'm gonna be so glad when we get a new thread and I no longer have the Wombles theme stuck in my head constantly

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.