Jack Monroe #293 Georgia Church Suppers, just like MamaPapa used to make!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm late to this, so sorry if I interrupt anything. My Jack Origin Story is that I thought she was a stinking fraud the second I heard of her. That's because I was a (genuinely) single parent of a child the same age, at the same time, with no help from friends or fam. But we didn't huddle on a bare mattress because I got income support (I didn't have to look for work until my child 5, and that's another story) and had nothing worth selling coz I'd always been poor and even so, I didn't need to sell light bulbs and toys for pennies because I also got HOUSING BENEFIT. Why didn't Jack? Did she have too much in the bank? If so, why starve?

We had enough to eat. I did an OU degree for free (life changing) during this time then won a scholarship to do an MRes. It wasn't easy, especially when the bairn went to school and I was battling the job centre (again, another story, and actually the hardest part of my pov).
Anyway, I came from nowt and am now okay. I've been as poor as Jack, still use charity shops, still don't drive, still can't afford holidays but can afford an annual camp out with friends. You make the best of your lot.

I know that now it's much harder to live on benefits (I work for a homeless charity) and much more desperate. But I can not and never will understand the song and dance that Jack has made about being in income support with housing benefit 10 years ago. The people who enable this performance are insulting the dignity, intelligence, resourcefulness and cheer of people who have genuinely lived on benefits. And as I said, things have changed a lot in ten years. What Jack's doing now , and what the blue ticks and The Food Program are promoting will actually harm people now (in my opinion).

ETA: sorry so long! Feel free to skip, it's all me me me 😬

• Heart
Reactions: 140
Do we think the lad prefers (used loosely) slop because it's easier to gulp down? Like, if he had to chew it, it would just amplify the horror of what he was being made to eat
Yeah I suppose if you just treated every meal like a giant oyster that may make things more bearable.

• Haha
Reactions: 57
Sorry I'm not thee literal expert like Jack but isn't it actually bad for a child's digestion if they never graduate from baby food texture? Like, surely the metabolism has to have something to work with?

• Heart
Reactions: 34
How come OH can't pay for their own grub?
Also 'a noisy prick', is that a wee bit of self awareness there Jack?
I'm amazed she's admitted SB is at his dad's a third of the time. That's quite a lot of time away from his full time meat reducer single mum.

Reactions: 35
One of Jack's defenders has outed themselves as a racist (the OP has a Hindu username)

Screenshot 2022-04-25 at 10.35.15.png

Screenshot 2022-04-25 at 10.35.42.png

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 77
Sorry I'm not thee literal expert like Jack but isn't it actually bad for a child's digestion if they never graduate from baby food texture? Like, surely the metabolism has to have something to work with?
Not so much the metabolism, but if the tongue and jaw never learns to manipulate anything above a purée texture, there can be issues. Not to mention never learning to safely swallow chunky textured food can be a real problem. Sadly I think there are documented cases of neglected children never learning to eat real food.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
I find it curious that her followers keep steadily increasing even though she hasn’t gone viral lately….. not that I’m suggesting anything nefarious is going on of course.

Reactions: 26
I find it curious that her followers keep steadily increasing even though she hasn’t gone viral lately….. not that I’m suggesting anything nefarious is going on of course.
What I found interesting is that on that radio programme (which was recorded a month ago, well before she had 500k followers), she was described as having a half a million twitter followers - a number she hit the very day before the programme aired.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 49
No idea where this will land, but a new article about ASDA and Morrisons cutting prices as they compete evermore with lidl and aldi. But this makes no sense as Asda were not long ago by putting up the prices of rice 433% in order to purely profiter on the poorest people in society, according to Jack :rolleyes:

Old news I know but it still grates my rinsed beans that this outrageous lie wasn't debunked by asda. As if in one of the most competitive markets Asda stopped competing with their biggest competition. How stupid do you have to believe this? Well most of the news shows, apart from channel 4 news, fell for it 🤦‍♀️

Screenshot 2022-04-25 10.36.54.png

Reactions: 35
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.