Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Clarends

Chatty Member
Security risk sharing your dob. I've removed mine on fb.
And I know people just write happy birthday without thinking because sometimes it comes on fb pages of people who have died. At least it used to.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 19

'EllsBells

Thank you for the hat 😘 Do wonder if there will be a cook book amongst the haul of pressies today (hi Jac, happy birthday 👋👑).

• Haha

L3moning

VIP Member
Is it that unusual to not own jeans? My husband doesn’t wear jeans, he mostly wears combat trousers so he can stuff tools in his pockets and if he’s being a bit smart (he doesn’t do properly smart) he wears chinos.
I wouldnt wear jeans until I was about 18 because I didn't like the texture. I got over that, but I still somewhat prefer combats or suit-style trousers.

Nonnymouse

Sorry for my rant earlier. I had to go and have a piss and a sandwich to calm down. Guess what though. I've got some news from Twitter that's made me hoot and fizz. Apparently they are introducing down votes. So I'll be there like ET and his glowing finger down voting every🖕single 🖕Jacksie 🖕tweet. Toot toot 🤪

View attachment 1129954
Only for replies though, which is a shame

• Sad

YenE

Top o’ the morning folks! The holiday of my people today. I’ll be avoiding it like the snakes tried to avoid St Patrick himself.

Wishing Jack a pleasant, Twitter free, family and friends filled birthday and I hope she decides to get a takeaway tonight because that’s what I do on mine 🤷🏻‍♀️

Attachments

• Heart

PinkMariner

Chatty Member
I remember it from my childhood as well, late '70s, early '80s. The boy climbs up a tree and the tiger runs round the bottom of it so fast that he turns into ghee which the mother then makes pancakes with.
The parents were called Big Black Jumbo and Big Black Mumbo. You can actually still buy a rewritten version in Japan, where it's not considered problematic. I remembered it as being about an African family, but apparently it is, was, and always has been set in south India. Just the illustrations in my copy as a child made me think otherwise, I guess. More about its history here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_Little_Black_Sambo
I had no idea about any of this! Every day is a school day - thanks for the wiki link Falkor!

Lazarus

VIP Member
When can I expect to hear about the aneurysm inducing news? I've got a big order to complete and have a tight schedule over the next couple of days. I will need ample time to factor in both the shock and, of course, the aneurysm.
On a grunk so it may already have been said, but let us not forget the recovery time , dear heart.

EllaEm87

VIP Member
As a child (of the 1970s) I was given a story book called Little Black S*mb*. Cringing thinking about it. It involved a small child and a tiger running round and round a tree from what I recall.
As a child of the late 80s in Northern Ireland I was also given this. At the time (being a child, no Google around) I didn’t realise it was racist.
In recent years, I’ve obviously known the book to be racist, but didn’t realise the word sambo in the context of a sandwich was considered racist either. The more you know, eh.

• Heart
I've only ever seen it used in Australia, so I did wonder if the original tweeter was perhaps from here? I just call it a sandwich tbh though.
Oddly enough, Mr Knit mentioned this word a couple of weeks ago - first we've ever heard of it used with regard to sandwiches. He was in Dublin when a younger person in the office announced the xxxxx run. If he had Jacksie's teeth, they would have fallen out. Needless to say, he had a quiet word. Apparently, it's quite commonly used there. 😳

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 18

FlirtyThirty

VIP Member
It’s been six months since I moved to this hellscape, the people up her weren’t expecting a non-binary tattooed leftie like myself, and it shows but my god, I’m here and I’m bloody well staying!

I am at risk of tattle ban for trying to moderate the conversation.
I did not appreciate the reference especially given the discussion about sandwich abbreviation name.
Mods, hit me with it, I had to say it.

ETA shite, posts merged.
Oh no I’m sorry! I didn’t realise :( I just thought that was something nasty villagers did to witches and pixies back in the 1300s.

• Heart
Reactions: 18