Jack Monroe #260 Stop trying to make macro philanthropy happen, it’s not going to happen

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Title by @blurstoftimes

Please remember no thread titles until the tail end of the thread (after 700 posts or so) and to add ‘thread title’ or ‘thread title suggestion/nomination’. No swearing in them please.

Wiki is the pink button for newbies.

Beeeeeeans.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 52
Beeeeans. Spoooons. Heeeeeerrbs.

That article about Jilly/Jack/Jamie was quite interesting although a little short and underexplained - if Jack was half as good as she thought and teamed up with Jamie they could do a lot of good.

I'm making That Man's 7 veg pasta sauce for dinner and plenty for the freezer.

• Haha
Reactions: 35

That article about Jilly/Jack/Jamie was quite interesting although a little short and underexplained - if Jack was half as good as she thought and teamed up with Jamie they could do a lot of good.

I've been thinking about Jack's increasingly worrying obsession with THAT MAN. A big part is just straightforward jealousy but I wonder if a part of it in Jack's mind is a sense of injustice that he can get away with public duck ups (the restaurants going bust), stupid comments (UKIP, big tvs/cheesy chips) whereas she lost her Sainsburys contract because of her comments about David Cameron's child. Of course Jack being incapable of any form of honest self reflection won't acknowledge that there's a world of difference between a stupid comment and a spiteful one. She also fails to realise is that all she does is make stupid comments, throw tantrums, tell lies and churn out slop. In contrast even his detractors acknowledge that JO is a talented chef and has done some good in the world with his youth apprenticeships and improvements in nutritional standards in school meals. The reason he is able to do good campaigning stuff is because he knows about food so can be taken seriously in his lane. Beyond throwing tantrums our ickle smol pixie doesn't really have a lane.

• Heart
Reactions: 70
I've been thinking about Jack's increasingly worrying obsession with THAT MAN. A big part is just straightforward jealousy but I wonder if a part of it in Jack's mind is a sense of injustice that he can get away with public duck ups (the restaurants going bust), stupid comments (UKIP, big tvs/cheesy chips) whereas she lost her Sainsburys contract because of her comments about David Cameron's child. Of course Jack being incapable of any form of honest self reflection won't acknowledge that there's a world of difference between a stupid comment and a spiteful one. She also fails to realise is that all she does is make stupid comments, throw tantrums, tell lies and churn out slop. In contrast even his detractors acknowledge that JO is a talented chef and has done some good in the world with his youth apprenticeships and improvements in nutritional standards in school meals. The reason he is able to do good campaigning stuff is because he knows about food so can be taken seriously in his lane. Beyond throwing tantrums our ickle smol pixie doesn't really have a lane.
She's created an exceptionally narrow lane for herself because she lied so much about ThePoverty and claims to still be in it, essentially. She could have been totally honest, she had a bad period, and survived on very little, but she's fine now and wants to campaign for better food so no one has to survive on tenner-a-week-slops, but she can't not make everything about her. Her all encompassing need for pity and attention is ruining her. She could have been more like Jamie, but she's just a talentless snotty nosed whelksplat.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 72
I think Jamie Oliver is genuinely passionate about food. If he was a Poor he would prioritise it, and thinks everyone else should do the same.

Jack is not bothered about food and would rather spend money on tatt. Hence the performative £20 shops and horrid recipes.

• Heart
Reactions: 73
It's the flip-flopping re. Oliver that I don't understand. Something must have happened between this (2018) and Jack's DKL tantrum ....

I'm sure she accused him of stealing her rotting salad pesto before DKL, but I can't find the post now, and that was her "massive dirty hands clutching tiny bowls of slop" Insta phase, so I don't want to look too closely. 🤢

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
That tweet in the last thread about needing a TV co presenter who would help her as she is so shy, is so annoying.
Why should another presenter have to carry her? Presuming they would be on the same wage. She has zero talent for TV, especially when cooking.
It would have happened by now if it was going to. Even This Morning keep giving her opportunities but they are never backed up with a regular slot - which in this age of rising food costs is quite amazing. She *should* fit the brief exactly. But she is awkward, almost rude and her food revolting. She is the anti face of nice food on a budget.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 60
I think Jamie Oliver is genuinely passionate about food. If he was a Poor he would prioritise it, and thinks everyone else should do the same.

Jack is not bothered about food and would rather spend money on tatt. Hence the performative £20 shops and horrid recipes.
This is exactly like a boyfriend I had at uni. Came from a well off family, his parents paid all his bills and gave him a pretty generous amount for food and disposable spending. Yet you'd never know it, he was tight as duck. He'd steal food from his housemates - and other peoples! - 'rescue' anything headed for the bin no matter how gross it was, and meals he bought for himself would be like plain rice and mince seasoned with salt and pepper. He wouldn't even spring an extra 50p or so for a jar of sauce from Lidl because it wasn't necessary.

Then it came to nights out, gadgets, the gym, and other tat and money was no object. He once told me he'd spent £45 on a fidget toy for example to 'help him concentrate'. I remember thinking you have money for stuff like that but eat like tit :rolleyes:.

I think what it boiled down to is food was his only necessary expense and he resented spending on it because it got in the way of his 'fun' money. He didn't care about taste or nutrition or enjoying his meals, he just wanted the lowest price tag possible. And he'd take food from people with less than he had just because he could.

Jack reminds me a lot of him actually. And yes I now can't believe I went out with him.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 72
This is exactly like a boyfriend I had at uni. Came from a well off family, his parents paid all his bills and gave him a pretty generous amount for food and disposable spending. Yet you'd never know it, he was tight as duck. He'd steal food from his housemates - and other peoples! - 'rescue' anything headed for the bin no matter how gross it was, and meals he bought for himself would be like plain rice and mince seasoned with salt and pepper. He wouldn't even spring an extra 50p or so for a jar of sauce from Lidl because it wasn't necessary.

Then it came to nights out, gadgets, the gym, and other tat and money was no object. He once told me he'd spent £45 on a fidget toy for example to 'help him concentrate'. I remember thinking you have money for stuff like that but eat like tit :rolleyes:.

I think what it boiled down to is food was his only necessary expense and he resented spending on it because it got in the way of his 'fun' money. He didn't care about taste or nutrition or enjoying his meals, he just wanted the lowest price tag possible. And he'd take food from people with less than he had just because he could.

Jack reminds me a lot of him actually. And yes I now can't believe I went out with him.
I wonder if Jacks exes wonder wtf they were thinking going out with her.

I know we all have embarrassing exes (the guy with the foreskin that looked like a basset hound springs to mind) but bleeping hell I’d be erasing all memories of my life with Jack.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 77
A bit late with this, but taking out the small number of ingredients which are used in all three recipes, the total spend for everything listed here (not including fuel/cooking costs) is £38.64. Almost (344%) 193% more than the £20 weekly budget.
A5AB9EF4-B0B7-4B67-B377-1FE08863B570.png
03930062-0241-4388-A2A4-6B05EBCF0CBA.png

Attachments

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
I’ll go on his website and have a little poke around…. Did she tip him afterwards I wonder for his free recipes?

she’s jealous of success. It’s harder to be critical of other woman because it looks more like sour grapes. Jack was offered a career on a plate but has been too bone idle to do anything about it, but is surprised she isn’t wildly successful and wealthy. The lack of effort she puts into her books says everything. She thinks as long as the recipes are cheap it doesn’t matter. Like Naydia she could have started off as one thing and increased her repertoire to something with broad appeal and increased her work chances. Instead it’s just ‘cheap’ and ‘tinned’ for a decade.

Does anyone else cook in pairs apart from the Hairy Bikers (and Fanny Craddock and her husband)? It’s not actually a thing is it. They aren’t that desperate for TV presenters they put someone tit with someone good and hope it balances out.

Reactions: 51
That tweet in the last thread about needing a TV co presenter who would help her as she is so shy, is so annoying.
Why should another presenter have to carry her? Presuming they would be on the same wage. She has zero talent for TV, especially when cooking.
It would have happened by now if it was going to. Even This Morning keep giving her opportunities but they are never backed up with a regular slot - which in this age of rising food costs is quite amazing. She *should* fit the brief exactly. But she is awkward, almost rude and her food revolting. She is the anti face of nice food on a budget.
Her TV appearances usually come with her moaning as well. Eg taking about how stressful it is, how she takes 20 hours to prep for a 6 minute segment, gets up in the early hours, needs to be helped to bed after a busy media week and so on.

Her lingreenie segment on This Morning came off like she hadn't practised or thought about it at all. Basic stuff like not having her back to the camera and pre chopping/crumbling the feta for example she didn't do.

I'm sure TV appearances are quite hard but it's not exactly professional is it. Give the opportunities to someone who wants them and can cope with them.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 57
I'm sure she accused him of stealing her rotting salad pesto before DKL, but I can't find the post now, and that was her "massive dirty hands clutching tiny bowls of slop" Insta phase, so I don't want to look too closely. 🤢
Just because I can’t resist a good Instagram scroll and just for you 😘, found this gem nestled between all the salad bag pesto shots (nothing about JO that I can see) and marmite scones. Those were the days my friends.
5F40D54B-0993-4B0F-9A9A-B1E0EDAF49A8.jpeg

6E17F629-73A9-468E-BCDD-14FA107638A0.jpeg

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 70

Jack also resents paying for rent and travel and any expenses for her son.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 41

Have you got a link to that article please?

Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.