Jack Monroe #253 What a tiny little life, Jack

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wonder if her recent tweet about sharing the profits from the hoodies, etc. with independent food banks comes from a realisation that the Trussell Trust may have issues about the messages on the clothing. Surely someone has gotten through to her on the phone by now.

Reactions: 36
Roughly translated by Google:

'She left school at 16 but her Asperger syndrome makes her a numbers whiz. Jack Monroe, girl-boy, heroine of poor consumers, changed the indicator of British inflation.'
What I take from this, is that the Dutch don't have very good journalists either.

• Haha
Reactions: 47
Another point about the TT - as well as Jack saying she’s giving 100 per cent of the clothing merch money to them, she also said all the money she made through the media and newspapers would go to them too.
She was also saying she had no money in her bank account and wasn’t earning off the back of any of this - the very reason lots of people then signed up to the Patreon.
Where is the transparency here? She’s therefore earning money off the back of her “relationship” with TT without any checks in place. Even if she now shows a massive cheque going across (which is great btw) how does anyone know it’s everything she has said it would be? As Dragon says, all feels very murky to me and I’m surprised TT have continually allowed this to slide as there’s zero openness in my eyes.

• Heart
Reactions: 57
I couldn't find much in English except for this:

But essentially there was a contest to choose the act to go to Eurovision, run by RTVE, the Spanish version of the BBC. One act won 78% of the public vote, but the judges chose an act that got just 3,9% of the public vote instead, and people are furious (not least because voting cost money).

It gets more complicated because the public favourite was sung in Galician, a minority language (always a tense issue here), with lines in 3 other minority languages, and it was a crazy tambourine fest with shirtless male dancers, while the judges' winner was a very generic electrolatino song. And one of the judges has connections to the singer...

This has caused huge drama, with lots of politicians weighing in. There is now apparently a campaign in Portugal to get Tanxugueiras (the public favourite) to represent them instead. Galician is very similar to Portuguese, so the song has been really popular there too.

I feel sorry for the Germans, French, and now the Dutch, who apparently have nothing quite so dramatic to distract them and have to read about Jack Monroe instead!
It’s in The Times - we love a Eurovision story. It’s the problem of mixing a professional judging panel with public votes, there is always the sense that the judging panel feels the public will choose the wrong thing and overrule it, which in some cases is because the public choose Boaty McBoatface.

Here it reads like the panel wanted something they think will win Eurovision - when we know that’s utterly impossible to predict or plan for. (Part of why I love it)

should have spoilered - sorry

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Oh man I can’t wait to see what chaos today holds! Please let it be a meeting with TT

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
Do you reckon TT have told Jack to piss off and take her manky t-shirts with her 🤞

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
I couldn't find much in English except for this:

But essentially there was a contest to choose the act to go to Eurovision, run by RTVE, the Spanish version of the BBC. One act won 78% of the public vote, but the judges chose an act that got just 3,9% of the public vote instead, and people are furious (not least because voting cost money).

It gets more complicated because the public favourite was sung in Galician, a minority language (always a tense issue here), with lines in 3 other minority languages, and it was a crazy tambourine fest with shirtless male dancers, while the judges' winner was a very generic electrolatino song. And one of the judges has connections to the singer...

This has caused huge drama, with lots of politicians weighing in. There is now apparently a campaign in Portugal to get Tanxugueiras (the public favourite) to represent them instead. Galician is very similar to Portuguese, so the song has been really popular there too.

I feel sorry for the Germans, French, and now the Dutch, who apparently have nothing quite so dramatic to distract them and have to read about Jack Monroe instead!
Shirtless male dancers, you say?

/runs to YouTube

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Another point about the TT - as well as Jack saying she’s giving 100 per cent of the clothing merch money to them, she also said all the money she made through the media and newspapers would go to them too.
She was also saying she had no money in her bank account and wasn’t earning off the back of any of this - the very reason lots of people then signed up to the Patreon.
Where is the transparency here? She’s therefore earning money off the back of her “relationship” with TT without any checks in place. Even if she now shows a massive cheque going across (which is great btw) how does anyone know it’s everything she has said it would be? As Dragon says, all feels very murky to me and I’m surprised TT have continually allowed this to slide as there’s zero openness in my eyes.
I think she was a bit sly about this - as far as I recall she said she would donate her fee from a specific two TV/radio appearances. No mention of the other eleventy billion.

eta: found it. Hmm - a lot hinges on ‘as standard’.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 44
Today apparently we hear about the energy price increase, delighted to hear her hot off the press take, but perhaps that will be next week, you know when the solutions have already been mentioned.

Also imagine the howling if Boris does leave and Jacob Rees Moggs gets in. 😬

Of course I would hate that but I think she would actually storm number 10. 😂
I think I would too tbf he’s awful.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Do you reckon TT have told Jack to piss off and take her manky t-shirts with her 🤞
No not yet as she’s still advertising that the money goes to them on the shop. It’s the reason why I don’t think this is quite up there with past chaoses - you really need TT to tell her to take the whole thing down before the chaos cycle is complete 🥴

• Wow
Reactions: 27
I wonder if her recent tweet about sharing the profits from the hoodies, etc. with independent food banks comes from a realisation that the Trussell Trust may have issues about the messages on the clothing. Surely someone has gotten through to her on the phone by now.
Cant can't get told off if you don't pick up the phone.
200 (55).gif

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
He is awful, but he would also surely affect the Tories' chances of being re-elected? I can't see him ever endearing himself to the general public 😂
If anything has taught me anything, it’s that at least 50% of the population are bleeping idiots. 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
I think she was a bit sly about this - as far as I recall she said she would donate her fee from a specific two TV/radio appearances. No mention of the other eleventy billion.

eta: found it. Hmm - a lot hinges on ‘as standard’.
I was going to say this too. I may be going insane in the membrane but didn't she also claim this with Free School Meals? She had a bunch of radio and TV appearances off of that and I'm sure she said there would be a donation going out after. Am I wrong Fraus? Do correct me if so, it's been a long couple of years 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.