Jack Monroe #244 Why has she turned this into supermarket sweep?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Remember when we used to get het up about maize snacks?
You’ve set me off. A few months ago she sis a £20 Shop and got a tiny bit of traction with it, it included maize snacks and Asda don’t even stock them any more. I rang Asda and everything.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 44
She's written for the Graun... sorry if it's already been posted
The Guardian: We’re pricing the poor out of food in the UK – that’s why I’m launching my own price index.

ETA- this article is probably the biggest pile of s*** I have read in the last 10 years. Jack, since you have single-handedly been part of (see, I can use terms incorrectly too 😉) bringing my beloved Guardian to its knees, I will never ever forgive you.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 57
Anecdata, but when I got my first sheep in 2016, a 20kg sack of ewe rolls was £5.70. It's now £9.50. Other farming costs have gone up similarly and wool is down to about 30p a kg, so we lose about £1.20 for every sheep shorn.
You’re good for lamb though, lamb is a rare celebratory treat like champagne

• Haha
Reactions: 46
I'm just still so baffled that people are paying obeisance to her as if she's some sort of erudite forensic saviour of the poors when she's barely one level above shouting her own name repeatedly like a demented Pokemon.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 77
She's written for the Graun... sorry if it's already been posted
The Guardian: We’re pricing the poor out of food in the UK – that’s why I’m launching my own price index.
Hope none of you lot are sending £3 a month to these beggy twats either

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 62
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 45
At the bottom of the article when I read it there was a more plaintive and forceful version of their usual request for cash. Jack’s true great talent is to get people to give her money, that’s what the Guardian could be trying to use here. Neither Jack nor the Guardian are trying to fundraise for poverty, just for themselves.

• Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 40
Sainsburys have vegetable stock cubes for 50p.

Could be she sorted by price order on their website and ignored the "sponsored" ones at the top that are indeed £1.

There are 91 smart price items online on ASDA, not 87 (as pointed out elsewhere this may not reflect what is in store or changes to brand names).

No fact checking at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
This is hilarious.

Last year the Smart Price pasta in my local Asda was 29p for 500g. Today, it is unavailable, so the cheapest bag is 70p; a 141% price rise for the same product in more colourful packaging.
There's been 141% price inflation because pasta is out of stock in her local Asda? What??????

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 57
You’ve set me off. A few months ago she sis a £20 Shop and got a tiny bit of traction with it, it included maize snacks and Asda don’t even stock them any more. I rang Asda and everything.
I’m lolzing that you actually phoned them and possibly said I’m doing FORENSIC snack research and I put it to you that you no longer sell maize snacks despite what’s being claimed by the champion of the poor Mx JiG Monroe 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 42
Hope none of you lot are sending £3 a month to these beggy twats either
So the entire retail/stats/agricultural industries have got it wrong and every f****r with a massive, beggy chip on their shoulder is going to put it right. Ok.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.