Jack Monroe #235 Goggleslop

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've just looked at her feed to see what she's replying to here. Going to put it in a spoiler because it's AA talk and it's freaking triggering *me*, so God knows what it's doing to others who are more knowledgable about it.
View attachment 957182
I really don't understand what she's saying here, is she deliberately missing the point? OF COURSE AA is about abstinence rather than moderation??? Isn't that one of the key things about it? Good god, imagine the kind of nonsense she's spouting on the DMs if this is the crap she puts on the public timeline.
Surely if you're capable of drinking 'moderately' then you're not an addict?! (Sorry if that comes off a bit blunt, but, addicts are addicts as they struggle to control themselves with the vice they're addicted to. It's a MH disorder, not a personality!)

Reactions: 60
Jack, you can’t “completed it, mate” with recovery. You just can’t.
Yes, thank you. Its something about the tone of her posts which bothers me. Her meetings are upbeat, they laugh till their stomachs hurt, no doom and gloom.
Isn't there something in AA rules/guidelines which states you have to be year into your recovery before you act as a sponsor for someone else? Giving advice on twitter would fall into the same category IMO.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 64
So much to unpack here. She’s really, REALLY infuriated me.
remember last year when all I had to think about was the cheese calculator on my phone, and now I’m triggered to the hilt just knowing she’s breathing the same air as me.

as someone with a >20yr eating disorder, someone saying ‘it’s simple. Just don’t be sick after you eat’ doesn’t cut it. How bleeping dare she suggest someone with a difficult relationship with alcohol simply ‘not drink’.
she needs to be deplatformed like Katie Hopkins. She’s a danger to people.
Edit: and who sits at AA meetings, laughing until their sides hurt? Who does that?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 75
View attachment 956746

Someone asked her for a soft drink recommendation and she's gone with this. Honestly, the nonsense. No one wants watery, vaguely-gardeny lemonade. Just recommend a Bottlegreen cordial and have done with it, Jack.

Also, happy New Year, fraus and herren! May it be better than the last.
Well at least we can see why coca colas not good enough for her. I hope she’s bringing her own lemo-tea with her to parties!

• Haha
Reactions: 31
She comes across as extremely uneducated re: AA. My mum was treasurer of Al Anon for many years- our family is rife with alcoholism and MH issues- so Idid my tour of duty as a teen reading everything I was given to explain why my father, older brother and grandma behaved the way they did. Jack is in very dangerous territory here and I can't believe she won't see how much damage she's doing. Sending love out to anyone affected by her BS.

• Heart
Reactions: 74
I haven’t been in recovery but surely someone at an early stage shouldn’t be dishing out ‘advice’ to anyone let alone thousands on social media?
aside from anything else wouldn’t it put unnecessary pressure on the person in recovery?
just typical Jack desperate to be unique and somehow superior to those around her.

(it’s so strange I know someone IRL who has so many traits in common with the influencers on here especially Jack, it’s like there has been a point growing up where they’ve realised they’re not as ‘special’ as they’ve been taught to believe, but rather than accepting this they’re constantly searching for that elusive identity that will stick and prove they are indeed amazing. It’s endlessly fascinating)

• Heart
Reactions: 52
She comes across as extremely uneducated re: AA. My mum was treasurer of Al Anon for many years- our family is rife with alcoholism and MH issues- so Idid my tour of duty as a teen reading everything I was given to explain why my father, older brother and grandma behaved the way they did. Jack is in very dangerous territory here and I can't believe she won't see how much damage she's doing. Sending love out to anyone affected by her BS.
This is my worry. Her advice could lead to a disaster.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
Yes, thank you. Its something about the tone of her posts which bothers me. Her meetings are upbeat, they laugh till their stomachs hurt, no doom and gloom.
Isn't there something in AA rules/guidelines which states you have to be year into your recovery before you act as a sponsor for someone else? Giving advice on twitter would fall into the same category IMO.
I presume Jack is trying to position herself as the media face of sobriety - angling for newspaper and magazine articles.
It does look like other work has dried up, media wise anyway, and that does seem to be what she loves.
That is why we are getting these increasingly detailed and lengthy posts about it all imo.

• Sad
Reactions: 52
[QUOTE="ecdb, post: 7721555, member: 298416"
Edit: and who sits at AA meetings, laughing until their sides hurt? Who does that?
[/QUOTE]
Someone who is unhinged I would say. I mean that’s not normal behaviour at a recovery group surely? Implies someone is in the hysterical stage of recovery // denial.

• Sad
Reactions: 39
'Over 50 so far'
Who does this?
Who counts their teas / drinks?
Obviously when we counted chairs and teeth it was for.... Reasons
But teas?
Is this aimed at us?
Is she throwing down the gauntlet?
Throwing down the teacup, more like.

I was raised on herbal teas - it's a cultural thing. In winter, we drink them hot, in summer we put them in a carafe vase in the fridge and drink them cold. #notallherbalteas, because anything with cinnamon or 'wintry' spices tastes weird cold. Things like hibiscus, fennel, mint or rosehip tea are often served cold in summer. At no point would you add lemonade (??? mint and lemonade??? fennel and lemonade?) or sparkling water, because that would results in what I can only imagine to be a poverty kombucha.

I love herbal tea and I currently have six packs. Six. Each with 24-40 teabags, so even though I probably drink 3 cups a day on average, that will still take me a good two to three months to get through.

I can only assume that she has had 50 different herbal teas over the course of her lifetime and she's kept a careful wallpaper record of it, or her herbal teas are dusty like some dehydrated mushrooms.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 57
Jack is treating AA/therapy like it's a Slimming World class. Lots of laughs and if the class leader likes you, you get to help out selling the hi-fi chocolate bars.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 82
I've just looked at her feed to see what she's replying to here. Going to put it in a spoiler because it's AA talk and it's freaking triggering *me*, so God knows what it's doing to others who are more knowledgable about it.
View attachment 957182
I really don't understand what she's saying here, is she deliberately missing the point? OF COURSE AA is about abstinence rather than moderation??? Isn't that one of the key things about it? Good lord, imagine the kind of nonsense she's spouting on the DMs if this is the crap she puts on the public timeline.
That’s it! That’s the tweet! Literally the worst advice she has ever given. So dangerous for that person and others.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
O/T —I’m so disappointed in season 4!!
Oh god really? I can't properly watch it as the shine has worn off for my kids so need some alone time to properly absorb and assess

• Heart
Reactions: 11
She never knows when not to engage. The squiggle talking about moderation has a different point of view. If you are in AA, that point of view will be in direct conflict with your school of thought (abstinence). Like with most things in life, there's often not one single route to health (be it mental, physical or both). Abstinence hasn't worked for squiggle. There could be a million reasons as to why that is. It is also possible that abstinence isn't necessary for this person and on Twitter, we will never know.

To answer by pretending that AA isn't about abstinence and that she can help privately is unsafe, unnecessary and makes her look unhinged. The tweet could have just been left unanswered. It's such an easy thing to do.

• Heart
Reactions: 65
She never knows when not to engage. The squiggle talking about moderation has a different point of view. If you are in AA, that point of view will be in direct conflict with your school of thought (abstinence). Like with most things in life, there's often not one single route to health (be it mental, physical or both). Abstinence hasn't worked for squiggle. There could be a million reasons as to why that is. It is also possible that abstinence isn't necessary for this person and on Twitter, we will never know.

To answer by pretending that AA isn't about abstinence and that she can help privately is unsafe, unnecessary and makes her look unhinged. The tweet could have just been left unanswered. It's such an easy thing to do.
Its also possible that she doesn't realise AA is about abstinence, or hasn't considered her answer in her need to reply. This being a prime reason for her not opining about the program. I had to google to make sure and its literally the only rule AA has 'the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking'.

edited to say - I had to google because I do not attend meetings. If you were going regularly, would it be possible to misunderstand or miss this bit?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
I know we've said this before, but whenever Jack has the mildest of exposure to a topic, she is an expert straight away. Except what she doesn't have is any awareness of professionalism. Mildly amusing when it's knitting (except to knitters, where she devalues a time-consuming, expensive and highly-skilled craft), or completing herbal teas (everyone can tell she's bullshitting), but less so when it's animal welfare, parenting, mental health and everything else.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 63
I would just like to say that the advice regarding “distract yourself for 15 minutes”, apart from being completely inappropriate and dangerous for those suffering alcoholism-related issues is also completely inappropriate and dangerous for those in the midst of an ED. If your entire day is spent obsessing about food and it’s related issues then a 15 minute walk or read of a chapter will do sweet FA.

I didn’t want to say this last night in response to that comment because there was too much going on regarding Jack’s behaviour, but saying that you can curb emotional eating through 15 minute distractions is essentially saying to people that it is easy to heal, which we all know it isn’t.

Sorry if this is coming across as preachy, it really isn’t meant to be. I think we are all feeling the impact of what we are seeing on her feed and the wider SM platforms and I apologise if that is coming across in my posts.

• Heart
Reactions: 61
This is not having a go at you or anyone here OBVIOUSLY, I hope!! I'm just amazed that it wasn't picked up at the time and has been able to go on so long. I think a kind of silent left wing cancellation might have happened because literally no one from there seems to interact with her from there. But she's burnt her bridges on the other side too. Hell I can't think of a single corner of twitter she can't have pissed off in the past few years. Get all the twitter likes you need, Jack, it won't make you any more employable I'm afraid 🥰
Owen Jones. (Too short?)

• Haha
Reactions: 21
View attachment 957182
I really don't understand what she's saying here, is she deliberately missing the point? OF COURSE AA is about abstinence rather than moderation??? Isn't that one of the key things about it? Good lord, imagine the kind of nonsense she's spouting on the DMs if this is the crap she puts on the public timeline.
The only requirement for entry is a desire to stop drinking - that’s not insisting on anything. It’s an abstinence based program, there are other means of sorting yourself out so go do them?

I dislike her, actually dislike her. It’s so dangerous debating the pros and cons in such a public forum whilst positioning yourself as a spokesperson as she repeatedly does. There’s a book (I’m pretty sure it’s the one Miranda was just gifted in AJLT) that discusses pros/cons of various recovery programs (but is written by someone who’s created and selling her own….!) and I enjoyed it, agreed with parts disagreed with others, but it’s not appropriate reading for someone new in or struggling. That would be like your kitchen’s on fire and you’re stood in it discussing pros and cons of an induction versus gas hob? Insanity.

And whilst we’re here - the reason she commutes across the country for meetings is the demographics of those respective meetings. As it ever was ey ! x

• Heart
Reactions: 66
From thread 31, when Jack addressed the cabal:

direct quote from Jack herself:

You have to understand that my home security is absolutely paramount to me, possibly to the stages of paranoia. I've had two serious stalkers in my lifetime, both situations I was forced to move house several times in rapid succession, once before I had a child, once with a child in tow. I have security cameras around the whole house and never feel entirely safe anywhere.

assume she’s contacted the police and provided the camera footage of the burglary?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 79
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.